Steering setup for t4 issues >

Steering setup for t4 issues

Steering setup for t4 issues

Old 05-06-2020, 06:52 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Steering setup for t4 issues

Hello all,

I am having a lot of issues setting up my steering, turnbuckles and or toe.

I build the turnbuckles to what the book says. I shim as the book says.

I have my servo saver turned slightly toward the car. I assume thatís correct?

I want the rack to be in the center of the car I assume??

I build the turn buckle that goes from the rack to the servo saver. I cannot get it any closer together. The book says 47 I am at like 40mm from end to end.

I change the sub trim in my radio to -58. Which then gives me the rack in the center and toe out on both sides the exact.

is that too much trim to put in am I over thinking it.

my steering is off by 2 degree which isnít bad I can fix that with adjustments to my end points in the radio

any help or suggestions would be super helpful thanks. Itís an 18 t4
Old 05-08-2020, 11:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I will make the assumption that you are asking about the Team Xray T4'18 touring car. If that is the case, did you buy the car new or used. If you bought it used, are you 100% sure that it is a T4'18? Many of the Team Xray cars look very similar and use the same or very similar components? Here is link to Team Xrays website where you can download manuals and documents for the T4'18:

https://teamxray.com/t4/2018/en/download/

----------

I have looked at the .pdf version of the Team Xray T4'18 manual. If you look at pages 32 & 33 in the manual, you can see that the SERVO SAVER should be at a 90 degree angle to the chassis when the steering is centered. If your servo saver is not at a 90 degree angle to the chassis, you may need to adjust the steering sub trim on your radio. You may also need to adjust the length of the linkage that goes from the servo saver to the steering rack.

If you look on page 16 of the manual, it lists the measurement of the steering linkage as approximately 47mm in length but it ALSO says to adjust this linkage to fit your servo. The reason for this instruction is that not all servo have the same exact dimensions. Some are shorter, some are taller, and some have the location of the servo horn spline located in slightly different locations. Most R/C car manufacturers leave the selection of the servo up to the consumer. While most servos will have similar dimensions, you will almost always have to make minor adjustments to the steering rack to servo saver linkage to center the servo. I would use the 47mm measurement as a suggested starting point for adjustment and not a requirement.

I do have concerns that your measurement is 40mm and the manual is saying 47mm. It is possible that your servo spline is closer to the center line of the chassis? Sure. If you post what servo you are using, it might help resolve this issue. However, it may be more likely that there is something off with the turnbuckle, ball cups, or servo mounts.

According to the manual, the parts on the steering rack to servo saver linkage should be as follows:
- #303212 - which should be a 26mm turnbuckle
- #303454 - which should be a 13-14mm plastic short ball joint. My Xray T2'009 uses these ball cups on the sway bars and I just measured them with a ruler.

So the maximum length those parts could be (not assembled) is 14mm+26mm+14mm = 54mm. Obviously after installing a ball joint on a turn buckle, you will lose some length, so the recommended length of 47mm for that linkage does make sense.

I would recommend that you individually measure the parts that you are using on the steering rack to servo saver linkage to confirm that they are the correct approximate lengths. In the past I've run into my own issues with grabbing the wrong length component when assembling a kit. Also if I've purchased a used kit I will always disassemble the entire car to confirm that the correct components were used. While sometimes there are legitimate reasons why components were upgraded or replaced, it is always nice to bring a car back to factory specs before I put my own setup on it.

----------

So to answer your original questions.
- When building a kit, always confirm the components like turnbuckles and plastic ball joints are the correct length. A cheap ruler with mm measurements is usually good enough.
- Many r/c kits specific that the servo saver should be at a 90 degree angle to the chassis. Always refer the manual, as this is not always the case.
- Not all servos are the exact same dimensions. Minor adjustments will need to be made to center the steering.
- If you are having to use excessive sub-trim to center the steering, zero all steering adjustments on the radio (trim AND sub-trim), install the servo saver as close to 90 degrees as possible, and then test fit in the car. Now only use sub-trim to set the servo saver to the correct angle (90 degrees). Then attach the linkage. You will most likely need to change the length of the linkage to get the steering rack centered. After the steering rack is centered, then adjust the linkages to the steering knuckles to set toe angles
- YOU ARE NOT OVER THINKING THIS!! Taking extra time to properly center the servo and the steering rack will result in a car that steers properly. Poorly setup steering will make a car harder to drive.

A little bit about servos. Very rarely have I've been able to install the servo saver and have it be at the correct angle. I always use sub-trim to set this angle. DO NOT use trim to make this adjustment, unless the radio does not offer sub-trim as an option. While it is possible to use external programmers to adjust the center point (as well as end points) on servos, the sub-trim is normally enough to get r/c vehicles to perform properly. On some vehicles I've had to use a lot more sub-trim, but any time I've gone over 50 degrees of sub-trim, I usually have the servo saver mounted slightly off. Rotating the servo saver on the servo splines usually solves this issue. One final note is that if you are using a universal servo saver which has removable inserts for different splines, you might end with more servo sub-trim.

I hope this isn't too much information. I often find that many steering problems people are having with their vehicles are due to improperly setup servos and linkages.
Old 05-08-2020, 06:18 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Thank you for all the amazing information, I will definitely try these ideas tomorrow. I will probably tear the car apart and start over. Thank you for everything I will keep you posted as to what I find. Thanks again. Yes this is an X-ray t4 touring car. 2018
Old 05-09-2020, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

learned a long time ago not all turnbuckles are correct in a kit thats why I premeasure all and put a ball cap on 1 end with measurement and have a nice bag of extra shafts to select from...just pull turn buckles off and measure all you might have grabbed the wrong 1