Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Needling Help With 1/8 ESC/Motor Combo >

Needling Help With 1/8 ESC/Motor Combo

Needling Help With 1/8 ESC/Motor Combo

Old 02-29-2020, 08:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Needling Help With 1/8 ESC/Motor Combo

Hey everyone I'm new to this site and need a little help. I've been in the RC hobby on and off since the early 90s mainly flying planes and a few Nitro 4x4 Buggies, I have a old 1/8 scale Nitro Buggy (I have absolutely no clue on what brand or model) about 8 years ago I got tired of fooling with the Nitro motor and decided to convert it to Electric, EVERYTHING has either upgrade or replaced the only 2 parts I'm missing is the ESC and Motor. What I'm looking for is a decent and reliable ESC & Motor combo to put in it, I want to run 3s-6s setup, I don't race and don't plan on it just want to grab a few batteries and run it. For right now I just want something in the middle of the road meaning I don't want junk or top of the line, originally I was going to put a Tekin RX8 but for right now I don't want to spend $200+ just for the ESC. Are the ARRMA BLX 185 & BLX 2050kv pretty decent and reliable or junk, can get that for about $125 new? Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks
Old 03-08-2020, 07:42 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I have the 3s version of the blx series in a stock Arrma Typhon. I am pretty impressed with it. I have been temping it and the esc stays about 85 to 110 motor sits at about 160 on 3s. I have only seen the 6s version drive and it's pretty crazy on 6s. The mechanic at the local hobby shop still has the stock system in his 6s Typhon if that says anything. I think it will work fine and be reliable if you don't over size the pinion.
Old 03-09-2020, 07:48 AM
Tech Fanatic

RTR electronics usually aren't the best. Arrma has better than average but you may want to look at Hobbywing. The Max8 can be acquired for around $120.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Hobbywing-E...1f8836e74eddca
Old 03-09-2020, 07:00 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Are you just bashing this buggy? If so, the Max8 would be a good choice for a sensorless ESC. Could also use the XR8 if you wanted the ability to run a sensored motor. The Max8 would be paired with a Hobbywing 4268. They sell a combo of the Max8 and motor for $180.
Old 03-20-2020, 03:30 PM
Tech Rookie

I have the BLX 185 and the motor that comes with it. I put it on a 2wd Slash and ran 6s through it for fun. It destroyed the truck but the motor and ESC worked great.
Old 05-11-2020, 05:10 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you're just bashing around, you don't need to run the Tekin system. The blx185 setup will be more than sufficient. Good power and reliable. You can get them at really good prices everywhere. You can usually find the combo used for around $80+ used, and usually around $120 for new take offs.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:30 PM
Tech Regular

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.

I have heard unconfirmed reports that Arrma Esc are rebranded Castle Esc. don't quote me as i don't know. but the im good friend with a hobby store and he seems to think so + he don't complain about the arrma escfalling.