Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
tamiya tt01e or m05? >

tamiya tt01e or m05?

tamiya tt01e or m05?

Old 02-21-2020, 02:17 PM
Tech Rookie

Default tamiya tt01e or m05?

Hey guys!

pleased to meet you all! I've been reading this forum for a few days, and I've finally decided to join and shoot you a question.

My work colleagues have given me an amazon voucher, and I've decided to use it to buy my first RC car. I know that there's plenty of things that I'll have to buy on different shops, but at least I can spend some of the money over there!

Wrapping up, I'm between the tt01 and the m05, with the only two configurations sold in amazon spain (where I live): the Tamiya 58649 Prinz Jägermeister M-05 and the Tamiya RC 47372 Subaru Impreza Mexico 2004 TT01E 1:10.

my use case? I've never had a rc before, so I want something tough, easy to use, and that does not need much manteinance. Also, I plan to use it mostly off-road, but on easy places, the clasic dust road where you can ride a normal bicycle an your children can play.

I personally think the m05 looks nicer, but I don't know if that front wheel 2wc will be happy off roady.

looking forward to your help!

thanks a lot,

ConStan_the_Man
Old 02-21-2020, 05:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

TT-01. 4WD will be easier to learn to drive for first timers. It will be tougher too.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:34 PM
Tech Master

Any RC car is going to need maintenance and repairs. You should expect to have to disassemble everything eventually. Driving on dirt is going to enhance the need for cleaning and maintenance. This is a tinkerers hobby. With that being said I think you would like the TT-01 better out of those options. There's a lot of parts available for it and several different body options.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:24 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Neither one of these is really designed for offroad. They are much better suited for a parking lot or another other paved surface. But if you insist, the TT01 with 4WD, larger tires and higher ride height will do better.

Just remember there's several other things you need to buy to make this Tamiya TT01 work. You need a servo, battery, transmitter and receiver. And don't forget you also need a battery charger.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks Red! I assumed it would be easier, but I didn't think it would be touger, that's not what I read, but I'm the newby here, so will listen carefully

Originally Posted by Red141
TT-01. 4WD will be easier to learn to drive for first timers. It will be tougher too.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Hi Backyard!

maybe I expressed myself poorly. I don't mind tinkering at all, but I also thougt that something taugher would make the learning curver easier. thanks for the recommendation on the tt001!

Originally Posted by Backyard RC
Any RC car is going to need maintenance and repairs. You should expect to have to disassemble everything eventually. Driving on dirt is going to enhance the need for cleaning and maintenance. This is a tinkerers hobby. With that being said I think you would like the TT-01 better out of those options. There's a lot of parts available for it and several different body options.
Old 02-22-2020, 02:12 PM
Tech Rookie

thanks Gerry,

yeah, I made a list of the rest of the things I need to buy. But I assumed that the key piece was the chasis. Is there any varion on the tt01 that's better for offroad that you would suggest, and that is (as I mentioned) tough, and a good starting point for a newby?

and now that I'm saying this. I chose tamiya because I believe it's easier to find, and offers a good balance of price and quality. But maybe I'm focused on the wrong brand?

thanks a lot!

Originally Posted by GerryH
Neither one of these is really designed for offroad. They are much better suited for a parking lot or another other paved surface. But if you insist, the TT01 with 4WD, larger tires and higher ride height will do better.

Just remember there's several other things you need to buy to make this Tamiya TT01 work. You need a servo, battery, transmitter and receiver. And don't forget you also need a battery charger.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

If you plan on just having fun driving outside on offroad, then you're probably better off with an offroad truck or buggy. I realize you might like the way something looks, but if driving it around isn't much fun. They will be setup to better handle the dirt and rocks. They will also be more durable.

People have converted their TT01s into Rally cars, but it requires modifications which might be too much for someone new.

What offroad brands are available to you? Traxxas, Losi/TLR, Associated, Kyosho?
Old 02-24-2020, 08:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The tt01 is just such a limited chassis. Id rather see the m05 just based on that. Too bad tamiya puts their nice bodies on such low end kit. How much do you have to spend? The tamiya kits aren't as cheap as they seem as they arent RTR. You'll need charger, battery, and a radio even if they normally include a 540 brushed motor and esc.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Hye Guerry, I think you pretty much hit the nail. I actually started taking a look at the grasshopper, but then changed into the tt01/m05t based on various recommendations. I guess that's the problem of asking around: everyone is going to tell you what they love most!

But that said, I've changed my approach a little bit: WHile I have already received the box with the new M05, I have not opened it yet. Instead, I've also bought a a second hand team durango RTR (including also the batteries and charges). For the price I'm paying (around 40usd), I'm not sure it's even going to work, but if it does, it will give me an starting idea of how it moves in the dirt. And if it does not work out at all, I'm sure I can scavenge some pieces to use on whatever I end up buying!

That said, and when I talk about buying a new one, I'm limited on what can be bought on Amazon Spain. And unfortunately, there's plenty of low end brands, but not that many better ones. I got a recommendation on RTR packages, and got this list:

Associated - B4.1 RTR (4x2)
Team Losi - TLR22 RTR (4x2)
Durango - DEX210 RTR (4x2)
Team C – Jekyll (4x2)

and none of them was available! Truth be told, this list was about 5 years old, but thing might have changed enough that this is no longer relevant. Any sort of buggy you would recommend me to look for beyond those ones?

Originally Posted by GerryH
If you plan on just having fun driving outside on offroad, then you're probably better off with an offroad truck or buggy. I realize you might like the way something looks, but if driving it around isn't much fun. They will be setup to better handle the dirt and rocks. They will also be more durable.

People have converted their TT01s into Rally cars, but it requires modifications which might be too much for someone new.

What offroad brands are available to you? Traxxas, Losi/TLR, Associated, Kyosho?
Old 02-26-2020, 01:56 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the input, TheRulesLawyer!
The vouchure I reveived from my colleages was around 270 dolars (250€). I was taking a look at those two, cause they're easily available in the shop where I have the voucher (amazon spain. I'm starting to feel guily about mentioning it, looks like I have stock options or something! ). And you're right on the money that tamiya is not as cheap as other options, although I always thought it was a balanced one. But my opinion only came from reading things, and not from touching anything, so I'm sure I'm completely wrong!

Originally Posted by TheRulesLawyer
The tt01 is just such a limited chassis. Id rather see the m05 just based on that. Too bad tamiya puts their nice bodies on such low end kit. How much do you have to spend? The tamiya kits aren't as cheap as they seem as they arent RTR. You'll need charger, battery, and a radio even if they normally include a 540 brushed motor and esc.