Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
New to the RC scene...Advice/Help? >

New to the RC scene...Advice/Help?

Like Tree2Likes

New to the RC scene...Advice/Help?

Old 10-08-2019, 02:20 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New to the RC scene...Advice/Help?

Hey everyone Iím 32 years old and just starting to look at RC. Live in upstate NY and Iíve checked and my ďlocalĒ hobby shop that sells RC cars or trucks is well over an hour away. So all my purchasing will be online from either websites or amazon and such. Just mainly looking to give myself a hobby/fun project. Just ripping around my back hay fields in the fall and spring or going to a local park or school field/parking lot to have fun with a few buddies with other RC vehicles.

I not Sure what direction to go in for my first vehicle. I know most people on here are probably running hobby grade RC RTR or kit ones. I like do my research first before making a purchase. Ideally Iíd like to just spend around $150 for my first vehicle. But if the right one that parts are readily available online and can be upgraded comes by for $250ish Iíll bite and see what Iím getting. Iíll need everything from controller, to car and batteries as I am just starting out. (Any commentís or advice is appreciated good or bad).

I have been reading a lot of different posts here and Iíve spent hours looking at all the different trucks available for my level of experience. There are a few on amazon that Iíve seen which are obviously entry level and parts will probably not be readily available but they are around $100 to $150. One from a manufacturer called Hosim 1:10 scale 4wd model 9125 with upgraded oil filled shocks and two small 1600mAh LIPO batteries. Anyone with information as to what I should be looking into or ideas would be helpful. Also remember this is entry level so if an off brand is ideal for now the upgrade to a $300 brand later then let me know your thoughts.

Thank you to anyone that posts or replies.
Old 10-08-2019, 02:36 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Welcome to the hobby.

I’ve never heard of the brand you mentioned.

For your first car I’d suggest going with the known brands. Traxxas, Arrma, Losi,Associated,Vaterra. Those off brands can and have run more people away then probably anything. My first was a RedCat. And while they have improved over the 8-9 years since. It wasn’t good way to start.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:39 PM
Tech Rookie

Idk either. I found it on amazon while searching other brands. Watched a few YouTube videos. It seems decent for the price. I figure if I can get a year or so out of it for $108 while giving it hell and whatever else I end up doing to it and I like it then it paid for itself and Iíll find more of a long term brand/model like the Traxxas Rustler 4x4 brushless model. Unless someone else has a better idea. Iíll take a look a the brands you mentioned. Any models in particular?
Old 10-08-2019, 03:52 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Carr Ramrod View Post
Idk either. I found it on amazon while searching other brands. Watched a few YouTube videos. It seems decent for the price. I figure if I can get a year or so out of it for $108 while giving it hell and whatever else I end up doing to it and I like it then it paid for itself and Iíll find more of a long term brand/model like the Traxxas Rustler 4x4 brushless model. Unless someone else has a better idea. Iíll take a look a the brands you mentioned. Any models in particular?
Unfortunately, with those off brands, you got better chance of it breaking that first week then lasting a year.

I own vehicles from all the brands I listed. While Iíve had mixed results with Arrma. Iíve been impressed with my coworker sons Granite. Iím actually kinda interested in their brushed Typhoon buggy. Iím no longer concerned about crazy speed. Iíve found brushed to be fun in right sized area.

I spent a week with coworkers sons Rustler4x4. The body will become fustrating quick. That locking system worked ok on Xmaxx, not so much with the Rustler.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Getting anything to last a year without parts is extremely optimistic with any brand, especially in 1/10 scale. Find something you can easily get parts for because you will break it, and more then once. While your local hobby shop may be an hour away, it's better than waiting two days for something they may have in stock if you go with a product they carry. At the very least, it's worth checking them out and then bouncing what you find there off the forum members here.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:32 PM
Tech Rookie

I should start by saying I know I will be replacing parts often so I will be looking closely to see who is near by and what brand parts they carry. I was recently looking at the Granite 2wd RTR for around $99 for a starter. Thoughts?? I have been seeing mixed reviews also for the Granite 3s BLX 4x4 among others I have contemplated getting as a 1 stop shop for a truck such as Traxxas rustler 4x4 or slash. I’ve seen some good things about the Redcats between the Blackout XTE brushless and the volcano. With their obvious differences. I want to eventually be able to drive it pretty much anywhere around the property without much issue at all. Maybe even build a small dirt track of my own in the back yard. So open to suggestions as to models and if I should be focused on brushed or brushless motors, battery sizes or cells, building my own and getting a 3 channel controller, etc....

So I guess at the end of the day I looking for an entry level truck that I can upgrade pretty much anything on it as it breaks and the parts will be available at most hobby shops or online and be able to make it my own over the years with the upgrades that I eventually can afford to put into it.

Thank you again for suggestions, thoughts, and comments.

Last edited by Carr Ramrod; 10-08-2019 at 05:45 PM.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:47 PM
Tech Lord

Slash is probably the most common RC you’ll find over last 10 years. And can be made into about anything.

The 3s Granite is the one my coworker son has. I’d forgotten about the $99 one.

What sized area? Most brushed top out in the 20’s. Might not seem that fast but in small area it can be enough. Plus it’s typically easier on parts.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:02 PM
Tech Rookie

I have 3 acres on my property that is mowed grass to drive it on along with my driveway which is gravel. Also have 4 football sized hay fields flat and hill terrain to drive it. Along with near by parks or empty parking lots. Also have about 250 x 75 foot area behind the house that I could potentially turn into a dirt track or grass track with jumps if I wanted to. I just don’t want to be limited by what parts are available to a certain brands or models. I can do a lot of the searching on my own just not sure where I should start looking as far as parts or full trucks go. Also I know motors and servos among other parts can be changed out for better/not plastic parts. Where should I look to see what’s compatible?
AHR43 likes this.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:17 PM
Tech Lord

Wow!! You’ve definitely got space.

AMain hobbies or Tower Hobbies are good place to start looking.

There’s plenty of aftermarket for Traxxas. Aluminum looks great. But can cause more problems then it’s worth. I’m personally a minimalist with upgrades. It’s far too easy to get caught up. And turn a $300-400 truck into a $700-1000 truck.

Old 10-08-2019, 06:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

For bashing around the yard, 4wd is almost a must.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:55 PM
Tech Rookie

Yea 4wd is pretty much a must and I will be bashing around the yard among other places.

I agree I don’t want to turn my $300 truck into a $1000 truck just to upgrade stuff. But when plastic parts start to break metal replacements would be nice to maybe have it last a little longer.

Old 10-08-2019, 07:17 PM
Tech Lord

Originally Posted by Carr Ramrod View Post
Yea 4wd is pretty much a must and I will be bashing around the yard among other places.

I agree I donít want to turn my $300 truck into a $1000 truck just to upgrade stuff. But when plastic parts start to break metal replacements would be nice to maybe have it last a little longer.

Metal, aluminum isnít always a better option. It moves the breaking point. Common example is replace a broken hub with aluminum hub. Next bad landing aluminum hub cracks and breaks the lower arm. Instead of an $5-8 plastic piece, that $15-20 aluminum piece now needs to be replaced.

Last upgrade I was forced to make. Was the Arrma Nero. After breaking multiple axles, finally just went with the HD version. At $50 each. That $550 truck then jumped to $750 truck.

Look around on Tower and Amain. See what catches your eye. Then remember to add in $$$ for charger/batteries. $75-100 for good charger. Batteries around $50. Though thereís a wide range of battery $$$.

Old 10-09-2019, 06:01 AM
Tech Elite

Carr with that kind of acreage id be looking at a much bigger scale..yes it is a 1/6 scale and way outa your stated price range but I got 1 a few months ago to just tear up and wow what a RC..I think once you get past the Bigger price range you will be loving this truck.I know how rough a harvested hay field is..maybe look on facebook for a person that has one of these by you that you can go watch and see it run. that cheap truck you listed will not take what you will put it threw... you will be very unhappy with it...….just my 1k suggestion...
Old 10-09-2019, 04:07 PM
Tech Rookie

Wow..... that’s a lot bigger than I expected I would “need”. Also just a quick look online at the 1/8 scales I’m doubling my price range and that’s not including battery or chargers. I think for now I’m going to stick to the 1/10 scale for now and get a feel for the whole sport/hobby. Plus if I drop $800 on a car my wife would kill me. So from what I’m seeing and reading I think my best option would be a monster truck style or a truggie. Soooo not a short course truck or a buggy

Also I did some more searching and found 2 shops about an hour or less away. One of which does indoor carpet racing on Saturday nights so I guess keep that in mind with what I’ve already said before with where I’m gonna be running this thing.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 10-09-2019, 04:28 PM
Tech Lord

Cool. Starting see the bigger picture. Some times it’s difficult to explain until someone looks past the initial interest.

When you gave the size area you had. 1/8 was my first thought. But price. 1/10 is where most start. I’d definitely suggest going to those stores if chance. Seeing in person gives better perspective on size.

When looking at vehicles, keep in mind actual grass depth. 3” tires look big on a flat surface, but in most yards grass is taller.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.