Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Juglenaut

Mixing shock oils to get proper weights

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2019, 03:44 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 82 (100%+)
Default Mixing shock oils to get proper weights

For all you veterans and racers out there, I would like to ask a question on behalf of the new people getting into RC. I know shock oils are cheap, except for the Hudy brand, so buying the proper shock oil would be ideal but is their another alternative for the newbies to get the correct shock oil by mixing two various oil weights. For example if I needed a 32.5 weight oil can I just mix 30 weight and 35 weight oil to get 32.5 weight oil if I go equal amounts from both 30 and 35 weights.

While we are at it, can I use full synthetic motor oil in my shock bodies and is it safe (safe as in will the oil degrade the O-rings and plastic pistons)?
Old 10-09-2019, 12:27 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

If you're racing, buy the right oil. If you aren't, then just stick with the oil you have (pick either 30 or 35). The small difference in oil weight isn't going to matter for just bashing around.

If you were in a pinch you can mix the oils, but it won't be as a repeatable or precise as just buying the right oil (and not too expensive).

If you do have to mix oils for some reason, mix up a batch of 50/50 oil then replace the oil in pairs on the left and right. At least this way you'll have the same weight oil on each side of the car. Equal parts of 30 and 35 will be close to 32.5 weight but not identical or repeatable. There is also a difference in oil weight between brands, so look for a CST rating if you need to compare shock oil across brands (not recommended either),

Don't put synthetic motor oil in the shocks.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:28 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I do blend diff oils to get what I prefer using glass graduated cylinder and mix it with a glass rod.
There are blend calculators through various sites, some use ratios some go by cst, some weight.
https://www.momentive.com/en-us/fluids-basic-tools
This one uses ratios which are based on parts, x amount of A with x amount of B and most cases milliliter (mL)

Yeah don’t use synthetic motor oil, just because it’s “synthetic” doesn’t mean that it’s not petroleum, it is man made oil from natural gas or some other man made from natural source Hence man made is synthetic. Don’t even use mineral oil.
mushroomed likes this.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:50 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just make sure if mixing to stick with the same brand, because both weight and cSt ratings can (and do) vary wildly between brands - even though they shouldn't.