Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
A decent cheap shaft drive car touring car.  Where did they all go? >

A decent cheap shaft drive car touring car. Where did they all go?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree113Likes

A decent cheap shaft drive car touring car. Where did they all go?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2019, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default A decent cheap shaft drive car touring car. Where did they all go?

Howdy everybody,

There's a thread about recommending a dude a car. He's gonna be on unprepared surfaces, which really means "shaft drive". A couple times the TB05 were brought up. And the TT02. If the TC4 were still a production car, I'd be pushing that. But... alas, it's not.

Well the TT series cars, while neat and all, are really $30 of plastic $30 of motor and ESC, and a $30 body, with a $400 nice car fake it kit. So lets not talk about the TT02. The TB05, is a $300 car in the US. And while I don't think that's exorbitant, we have $100 belted touring cars. And $160 1/14 scale 4wd buggies. We should have a $100-200 nice shafty touring car.

So.. am I blind? or do we really not have a cheap, nice shaft drive touring car? Has the TC4's demise really meant that we're at the end?

Before I go, this is what I'd like to see:
  • Adjustable upper links. (camber)
  • Adjustable steering links. (toe)
  • Standard spur gears. (Gearing for VTA through mod..)
  • Gear diffs.
  • Long suspension arms.
  • Steel pivot pins.
Nice things to have:
  • Adjustable rear toe, sweep, pro and anti dive.
  • Flat battery mount, for modern lipos.
  • multiple upper link locations for roll center adjustment.
  • Standard suspension mounts for front sweep, pro and anti dive.
  • parts commonality with other popular cars.
  • flat chassis, for cheap aluminum, FRP, or carbon swaps.
GuyIsDamGood and 4k4m3 like this.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Maybe it is more expensive to produce shaft cars...
Old 07-23-2019, 12:51 PM
Tech Elite

If it is, why are the cheapest cars shafties? TT01, TT02, Kyosho, Vattera, Traxxas, LC Racing... I can't accept that answer.
gigaplex and Eotz like this.
Old 07-23-2019, 01:06 PM
Tech Adept

You're right. Besides TB-05 there are not many alternatives. Yokomo still has it's SD Sport and some RTR stuff from Traxxas or HPI. But nothing serious as you have written...so sad

Last year I was looking for a shaft car for parking lot Action, just like dude from mentioned thread. I ended up with a pair of TB03 for some reasons. And I'm happy with these cars. One of them ist nearly Box stock, with Ball diffs. Just added some of the CF parts. The other one got TB04 gear diffs and some other Hop Up stuff. Both running 13.5 or 17.5 with homemade 2S LiFe packs. No serious bussiness, just for fun.
But I agree, some nice new shaft car Kits would be awesome!
Michael

​​​​​
Old 07-23-2019, 02:00 PM
Tech Elite

We should not forget, that most 100€/$ belt cars are sh*t and not really suited for racing and/or beginners. I remember one time, when a beginner was recommended a cheap belt car and had nothing but trouble with it. In the end he bought a used carbon car and is happy ever since.
And while you don‘t want to talk about TT02, the mentioned aspect are mostly fulfilled by these type and its versions. Also the price (TT02S is under 100€ right now).
Well the time for shaft cars is not over, but only two companies really develop these chassis: Tamiya and Exotek. Shaft cars are mostly cheap and for people new in the hobby or who see it as toy for short period of fun. Expensive chassis are designed for the serious racer and the belt layout is state of the art. Not even Awesomatix could change that.
So the people who see it as toy car don’t need and know all the good design and mostly don’t care. The people who care about shaft cars then need to spend more money to get decent quality. That is a natural law in most hobbies not just R/C.
Nicadrauspro4 and Eotz like this.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:36 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by wtcc
We should not forget, that most 100€/$ belt cars are sh*t and not really suited for racing and/or beginners.
The Xpress XQ1S is one hell of a car for the price. It easily got me into the A main at my state titles before the rain washed out the event earlier this year.
Marcos.J and herrokero like this.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:57 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by gigaplex
The Xpress XQ1S is one hell of a car for the price. It easily got me into the A main at my state titles before the rain washed out the event earlier this year.
This sounds like the exception, not the rule.☝️

Get what you pay for but it isn't always necessary to get the latest/greatest for 95% of club racers out there. Way more to be gained from practice than $200 kit, upgrading to a $700 one. Yes there is a difference in quality and durability but if someone is just playing in a parking lot a tub chassis car is more than enough. Only once that same person has moved up to fighting to get in the main does spending more become a requirement.

End user determines the goal. If said end user wants to play, any of the cheap ones will be fine ( not sure where the numbers are coming from but a TT-02 is like $150 all in with some of the best bodies going, ESC and tires).

Racing is another matter altogether and this is where shaft cars seem to be disappearing. Can't really beat the belt cars and stock classes favour the belt design.

Nicadrauspro4 likes this.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:47 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by dman18t

Racing is another matter altogether and this is where shaft cars seem to be disappearing. Can't really beat the belt cars and stock classes favour the belt design.
But the shaft Pro4 beat the belt driven cars by Yokomo, AE, Kyosho, Tamiya, Xray and became the world champion.

Well, it's a matter of choice. For die-hard fans, like myself, I personally prefer shaft driven cars.

It's really nice to see that there are still manufacturers like Tamiya that continue ti develop this platform with the TB series. I do hope that HB will consider doing another shaft car to continue the Pro4's legacy. 😁
Old 07-23-2019, 11:13 PM
Tech Adept

Even though the TC4 roller kit is discontinued now, parts should continue to be available for a long time to come. The TC3 is much older and parts are still available for it.
SteveM likes this.
Old 07-24-2019, 02:24 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Nicadrauspro4
But the shaft Pro4 beat the belt driven cars by Yokomo, AE, Kyosho, Tamiya, Xray and became the world champion.
The Pro4 never won a world title. HPI/HB won in 2006 with the Cyclone, that's it.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:10 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Nicadrauspro4

Well, it's a matter of choice. For die-hard fans, like myself, I personally prefer shaft driven cars.

It's really nice to see that there are still manufacturers like Tamiya that continue ti develop this platform with the TB series. I do hope that HB will consider doing another shaft car to continue the Pro4's legacy. 😁
One race that was in 19 fish and chips lol... The pro 4 was a cool car but to say the belt layout isn't the ultimate in TC would be false.
Old 07-24-2019, 11:10 AM
Tech Addict

Oh and... TT02 FTW regarding current cheap / raceable shaft car.
Qatmix and chjosi like this.
Old 07-24-2019, 06:10 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DaSilva3525
One race that was in 19 fish and chips lol... The pro 4 was a cool car but to say the belt layout isn't the ultimate in TC would be false.
Anyone said that?
Old 07-25-2019, 03:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Shaft drive was awesome in the 27t days but brushless has too much torque to make them nice to race, especially on low grip even with punch settings adjusted. Belts deliver modern power better for me. As for shaft drives today, Yokomos SD sport has a bit of racing pedigree from the old CGM Special from years ago
Old 07-25-2019, 05:55 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I would say that the Awsomematix shaft drive is the car to have in VTA with the weaker motor. No longer made but highly sought after for the class. Hard to beat shaft drive acceleration. As you up the power switch to belt. That is by observation and years of experience.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.