Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
1/10 SCT's  Best starter truck >

1/10 SCT's Best starter truck

1/10 SCT's Best starter truck

Old 07-17-2019, 10:04 AM
Tech Initiate

Default 1/10 SCT's Best starter truck

I'm looking for a good starter truck for my Step son who is 12. He wants to get into SCT racing as we have watch a few local events and he's hooked. I'm looking at either the Arrma Senton Senton 4wd 3S or the Team Associated Pro SC10 (I haven't read great things on Losi's RTR truck offering as far as being resilient) , we live on a dirt road (High Desert California) so something that is either good for mild bashing or parts are easy to come by for upgrading/repair as i'm not opposed to that at all. I'm just curious whats easier to actually drive? a 4wd or a 2wd SCT? The track we would be running on is indoor clay with a little desert racing (We live on an acre and some co-workers who also race want to build a track in my back yard). I went right off the deep end when i started into a 2wd buggy's and they have a pretty decent learning curve which he isn't a huge fan of (nor am i with him bouncing off things).
Old 07-17-2019, 11:02 AM
Bri
Tech Regular

Of the two, the AE PROSC10 is a much better truck for racing. It's durable and has a lot of tuning options. Before you buy anything, I would check to see what SCT classes they run at your local track. In general, 2wd SCT is less maintenance and easier to drive for beginners.
Old 07-17-2019, 12:58 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Bri View Post
Of the two, the AE PROSC10 is a much better truck for racing. It's durable and has a lot of tuning options. Before you buy anything, I would check to see what SCT classes they run at your local track. In general, 2wd SCT is less maintenance and easier to drive for beginners.

I'll take a look, i know my local place runs 2wd, 4wd, both rookie and modified divisions. Shoot, they even have classes in SCT for people over 40 yrs old it's quite diverse actually. I'll def look into the 2wd's then, i just want something easier for him to use as like any typical pre-teen he gets frustrated easily when the going is tough, so any advantage i can give him without going full on Helicopter parent is good for me lol.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:54 PM
Tech Initiate

For durability look up the HPI blitz I have beat the snot out of mine and haven't broke anything. One day at a track I was having an issue with a jump I hit that jump over and over until I got it right and spent a total of 2 battery packs just practicing that jump I bought that blitz used off ebay it was already used and still haven't broke anything.
Old 07-17-2019, 02:02 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Dough Boy View Post
For durability look up the HPI blitz I have beat the snot out of mine and haven't broke anything. One day at a track I was having an issue with a jump I hit that jump over and over until I got it right and spent a total of 2 battery packs just practicing that jump I bought that blitz used off ebay it was already used and still haven't broke anything.

OH yea? i'll have to check that out for sure.
Old 07-17-2019, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 68 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dough Boy View Post
+1 I had a Blitz and ran it for years. Never bought a part because it never broke.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:25 AM
Tech Initiate

I would look into the Tekno 4x4 short course truck. Its a kit so you would have to build it. Also since its a kit it is not RTR. I run one in a points series and with a 2s battery its plenty fast. I also run the hobby with sct electronics combo. Very durable and setups are easy to find on their website.