• 2 Post By Mahjik
  • 1 Post By the rc guy
  • 1 Post By TheBeas

steering issue

Old 06-30-2019, 03:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default steering issue

I recently installed a new servo motor and have found that the turning radius has been affected. When I turn to the right, I have a nice, tight turn. Turn the left, and the radius is much larger. Before the servo change, they were much more comparable.

FYI, the settings on my transmitter are the same for both left and right. I thought I needed to increase the length of my steering linkage to the servo, but that didn't seem to help.

Suggestions are certainly welcome. I'd like to have this thing ready to drive again by next weekend!

Thanks,
Beas
Old 06-30-2019, 03:58 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Servo probably wasn’t centered when you installed it. It usually takes me couple times to get it.
TheBeas likes this.
Old 06-30-2019, 04:18 PM
Tech Rookie

I had turned the transmitter and ESC on prior to hooking up the servo and feel as if everything was centered before I attached the servo-saver (in a neutral position) on the servo. The settings for L and R are identical on my transmitter, but the turn is much tighter in one direction than the other. BTW, nothing is binding that I can tell, and nothing appears to be blocking the servo from turning.

I know it's something very simple; I just can't seem to figure it out.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Start with removing the servo from the vehicle, but it connected to your receiver and the servo horn on it. Start by verifying that you can steer left and right and the servo horn is able to move both directions equally.
Billy Kelly and TheBeas like this.
Old 06-30-2019, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

sometime the servo saver can wear and this will happen..I have personally run into this issue.. new servo saver solved this..
TheBeas likes this.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:30 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Also check that the screw holding the servo horn onto the servo is tight. Once you’ve got it centred, this is a good place for a dab of loctite on the screw threads if the servo has metal gears.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:01 AM
Tech Master

op did you find problem?
Old 07-06-2019, 11:11 AM
Tech Rookie

I experimented with the suggestions above but nothing cured the problem. All were great suggestions, and I'm grateful for the input.

Once my local track reopens following some maintenance, I intend to take it there and ask some of the more experienced guys to take a look. It's rather perplexing to me.

Once I learn a solution, I'll gladly pass it along.

Thanks again to all.
Beas
Old 07-09-2019, 12:13 PM
Tech Adept

What transmitter are you using? Maybe you can adjust the steering limits to make them match through the radio?
Old 07-09-2019, 06:37 PM
Tech Rookie

I finally found the problem. I suspect this might be highly common among newbs like me: One of the turnbuckles from the steering plate to the wheel (knuckle?) was considerably longer than the other. Obviously, it made one side turn more than the other.

I searched through my manual and found that both were supposed to be 27.5mm (1.08 in.) and made the adjustment. It also made the front two-in just about right, too.

Now, I look forward to trimming the steering, then tuning the EPAs and DR. Then, I should be close to trying it on the track.

Again, my thanks to all for your thoughts. I'll remember this bonehead mistake and do my best to prevent it from happening again.
mushroomed likes this.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:53 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by TheBeas View Post
I finally found the problem. I suspect this might be highly common among newbs like me: One of the turnbuckles from the steering plate to the wheel (knuckle?) was considerably longer than the other. Obviously, it made one side turn more than the other.

I searched through my manual and found that both were supposed to be 27.5mm (1.08 in.) and made the adjustment. It also made the front two-in just about right, too.

Now, I look forward to trimming the steering, then tuning the EPAs and DR. Then, I should be close to trying it on the track.

Again, my thanks to all for your thoughts. I'll remember this bonehead mistake and do my best to prevent it from happening again.
Originally Posted by TheBeas View Post
I recently installed a new servo motor and have found that the turning radius has been affected. When I turn to the right, I have a nice, tight turn. Turn the left, and the radius is much larger. Before the servo change, they were much more comparable.

FYI, the settings on my transmitter are the same for both left and right. I thought I needed to increase the length of my steering linkage to the servo, but that didn't seem to help.

Suggestions are certainly welcome. I'd like to have this thing ready to drive again by next weekend!

Thanks,
Beas
good you found it..so old servo worked fine then new servo made this issue stand out more. model would help others !