spur gear stripped after upgrading to brushless

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By 0010
  • 1 Post By the rc guy

spur gear stripped after upgrading to brushless

Old 06-01-2019, 01:57 PM
Tech Initiate

Default spur gear stripped after upgrading to brushless

I have a ECX Ruckus 4WD and replaced the original/stock 15 turn brushed motor with a 4300kV brushless motor, but didn't replace the metal 9T pinion and plastic 45T spur gear. After only about 2 hours of total run time since the upgrade a month or two ago (half the time with a 3S battery, half with a 2S battery), the spur gear is stripped and the car doesn't go. To avoid constantly replacing the spur gear should I step down from the 4300kV BL motor to my spare 3500kV BL motor or keep the 4300kV BL motor but replace the plastic spur gear with a metal spur gear or is there something else I can do?
Old 06-01-2019, 07:03 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's possible that you didn't get the gear mesh set correctly when you changed motors, or the motor moved after you installed it. When you set your gear mesh, you should be able to just barely rock the spur without turning the pinion. Once that is set properly, tighten the motor mount and recheck the mesh. That style of mount can change the mesh if you don't tighten both screws evenly. So, you have to keep checking it as you tighten. It is also a good idea to check your mesh every few packs or after in particularly hard impacts.
1spunspur likes this.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:05 PM
Tech Master

I use the ole paper between the pinion and spur technic. I personally think that 4300kv on 3 cells is to much..on 3 cells id stay under 3500kv unless its a short speed run
1spunspur likes this.
Old 06-02-2019, 08:52 PM
Tech Adept

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.

im going to agree with both 0010 and the rc guy.
i think its a combnation of both 3s 4300 and pinion spur gap.

the 4300 is not desinded or intended for 3s you generate to much plastic ripping torq with it to fast couple with the fact the ruckus runs massave monster truck tire if the. and if you doing a lot of stop go driving and grass your going to eazly burn out a poorly set gear mesh, and shorten a well set one life quickly.

if i were you id either

A. switch to the 3300 so you can run 3s when you get the bug.

B. don't switch motors and stop run 3s.

but in both cases you should be able to step up to a 13t pinion and settle your speed craz. might even be able to go up to 16t if the 4300 a 550 cam
Old 06-03-2019, 12:26 AM
Tech Initiate

Okay, interesting. So will a 3S with a 3500kV be faster than a 2S with a 4300kV in the ECX Ruckus 4WD? What about compared to my other car; Quanum Vandal 1/10 4WD buggy (17T pinion, 65T spur, 33% less weight) - will the 2S + 4300kV in the buggy be comparable in a race to the 3S + 3500kV in the truck (or vice versa, the batt. + motor combo on the other vehicle)?
Old 06-03-2019, 03:02 PM
Tech Master

Ok the id just run a 3200 with more teeth on pinion and have a more friendly 3 cell motor you still wont be able to go a full pack but have some faster speed for a few runs not sure how far your speed runs are.. This hobby I can go out and run my 4 cells till I need a recharge.I can go out and run a few hundred yards and thats it...A few 15 second runs..and I run GTP cars 1/6 scale 100mph and more
Old 06-06-2019, 04:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Itís hard to say whether the 3500 would be faster than the 4300. Itís all kind of dependent on a lot of factors. It likely would be, but gearing, motor quality, battery discharge rate, etc all make differences in speed. You would certainly get more torque out of the 3500, especially on 3s. Also in my experience with ecx, the plastic spur gears donít hold up all that well. Yes, gear mesh makes a big difference but I stripped out 4 or 5 spurs on my 2wd truck before I finally went to metal. Since then I havenít had any issues, but metal does have its downfalls. Itís much louder, it can produce more heat, and itís also less forgiving. Itís like why sometimes all aluminum suspension parts arenít always the best because it means you donít have that breakaway point. The same concept applies for the transmission. Without any plastic parts, you donít have anything to take the blow if something goes wrong, especially if your slipper clutch is set too tight. Hope this was of some help!
Old 06-06-2019, 09:14 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Broloff28 View Post
Itís hard to say whether the 3500 would be faster than the 4300. Itís all kind of dependent on a lot of factors. It likely would be, but gearing, motor quality, battery discharge rate, etc all make differences in speed. You would certainly get more torque out of the 3500, especially on 3s. Also in my experience with ecx, the plastic spur gears donít hold up all that well. Yes, gear mesh makes a big difference but I stripped out 4 or 5 spurs on my 2wd truck before I finally went to metal. Since then I havenít had any issues, but metal does have its downfalls. Itís much louder, it can produce more heat, and itís also less forgiving. Itís like why sometimes all aluminum suspension parts arenít always the best because it means you donít have that breakaway point. The same concept applies for the transmission. Without any plastic parts, you donít have anything to take the blow if something goes wrong, especially if your slipper clutch is set too tight. Hope this was of some help!
Yes, extremely helpful. I'll swap the 4300 for the 3500 in the Ruckus. I'll wait until I buy a Slash and put the 4300 in that (with 2S of course), because I suspect the buggy won't hold up well to a 4300 motor

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2019, 10:45 AM
Tech Master

without doing some mods the slash wont either.
Old 06-07-2019, 02:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
without doing some mods the slash wont either.
Oh rats! Well, then what kind of vehicle is a 4300kV brushless motor best suited for? While I'm at it, what kind of vehicle is a 3500kV brushless motor best suited for?
Old 06-07-2019, 03:01 PM
Tech Master

if you want to do speed runs then a 4300 is good for that I use a 3599 on my 1.10 scale 4x4 and when I want I drop in the 3rd cells but I dont run a entire pack to recharge or lvc..1000 ' runs back n forth thats all. or just run the 3500 on 2 cells till lvc ..I run 550 size motors in my 4x4 in my 2wd sc I run 540
Old 06-07-2019, 05:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by the rc guy View Post
if you want to do speed runs then a 4300 is good for that I use a 3599 on my 1.10 scale 4x4 and when I want I drop in the 3rd cells but I dont run a entire pack to recharge or lvc..1000 ' runs back n forth thats all. or just run the 3500 on 2 cells till lvc ..I run 550 size motors in my 4x4 in my 2wd sc I run 540
What does "lvc" mean? What does "run a entire pack" mean?
Old 06-07-2019, 06:53 PM
Tech Master

lvc is Low voltage cutoff .some esc can be set on off and voltage you want it to slow all. entire pack is running to you lvc and not going past.
Old 06-10-2019, 07:43 PM
Tech Addict

When I changed to a brushless system on my Ruckus 2wd the spur gear cover didn't fit anymore and I left it off. This leaves the spur gear exposed to little rocks that will wedge in between the teeth of your spur gear and will lead to stripping. Steel gears work great and will resolve the problem but as mentioned above exposes other weak points, in this case the axles. Don't let it deter you. Make your truck do what you want it to do and upgrade the parts needed to get you there.