Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sir 51D3WAYS

Tire and rim

Old 05-30-2019, 03:09 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Tire and rim

Heyo. I wanted to buy a new set of tires so i could drift with my hpi RS4 sport. After checking what i have and what's being offered i'm completely confused as to what i get so if someone could help me with any of these questions i would greatly appreciate it.

Facts: My Hpi Hoonicorn has 64mm diameter, 31mm wide tires with front offset of 10 and back wheel offset of 15.
Questions:
1. Is the offset only important for the look, so the wheels are aligned with the body? Can i get wheels with different offset?
2. Since the base is rs4 sport, can i get smaller diameter wheels? I can't seem to find any that actually have 64mm diameter, and all pre-assembled are 26mm...
3. What is the difference between pre-assembled sets and separate rims/tires? Pre-assembled seem a lot cheaper, why are there no premium pre-assembled wheels?
4. What are pros and cons of aluminium rims? Team DC has a few nice ones but their site is all sold out - did the company go under, is there a problem with aluminium wheels?
5. I saw some 3D printed rims/wheels that actually have 64mm diameter, are 3d printed tires an option for drifting? Has anyone tried this?
6. Should i use same tires for front/back? Or should i use a soft/hard setup for drifting? (didn't google this one, just came up with it)
7. Considering all this, what should i buy? I want to do slow controlled drifting and have access to smooth dusty asphalt up to rough asphalt am looking for the best budget option in the long run.

Extra question: what type of asphalt is most suited to drifting? As smooth as possible? Oily like in garage houses? Dusty like in abandoned lots? Wet? Do i need specific tires for all these conditions or is the difference to small to notice?
Thanks in advance for any answer thrown my way
Old 05-30-2019, 09:16 AM
Tech Master

keep the offsets as is.Front offset has to stay the same so your front wheels have enough clearance to turn you cat and not hit the chassis..
Old 06-02-2019, 05:12 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Snejk View Post
Heyo. I wanted to buy a new set of tires so i could drift with my hpi RS4 sport. After checking what i have and what's being offered i'm completely confused as to what i get so if someone could help me with any of these questions i would greatly appreciate it.

Facts: My Hpi Hoonicorn has 64mm diameter, 31mm wide tires with front offset of 10 and back wheel offset of 15.
Questions:
1. Is the offset only important for the look, so the wheels are aligned with the body? Can i get wheels with different offset? For drifting, offset is mostly for looks, but will affect handling somewhat. Different offsets are available. Just buy what you like.
2. Since the base is rs4 sport, can i get smaller diameter wheels? I can't seem to find any that actually have 64mm diameter, and all pre-assembled are 26mm... Don't think so. For reference, standard rubber touring car wheels are 63mm diameter and 24.6mm wide.
3. What is the difference between pre-assembled sets and separate rims/tires? Pre-assembled seem a lot cheaper, why are there no premium pre-assembled wheels? Not much. Premium stuff is almost always DIY assembly.
4. What are pros and cons of aluminium rims? Team DC has a few nice ones but their site is all sold out - did the company go under, is there a problem with aluminium wheels? Pros: Massive bling factor, heavier weight. Cons: Going to look absolutely trashed in a few runs, will be bent permanently when you crash - rendering it useless, heavier weight.
5. I saw some 3D printed rims/wheels that actually have 64mm diameter, are 3d printed tires an option for drifting? Has anyone tried this? Yes, somepeople do make them for their own private use. Can't remember who though.
6. Should i use same tires for front/back? Or should i use a soft/hard setup for drifting? (didn't google this one, just came up with it) For now, same all round.
7. Considering all this, what should i buy? I want to do slow controlled drifting and have access to smooth dusty asphalt up to rough asphalt am looking for the best budget option in the long run. Preferably, you want smooth concrete or tiles, but smooth asphalt will do. Any old drift tire will do really. You can even use the correct size PVC pipe cut to size! These are the all time best drift tyres, hands down. Avoid Tamiya Super Driftech at all costs.

Extra question: what type of asphalt is most suited to drifting? As smooth as possible? Oily like in garage houses? Dusty like in abandoned lots? Wet? Do i need specific tires for all these conditions or is the difference to small to notice?
Thanks in advance for any answer thrown my way
Snejk likes this.