Wiki Posts
Search
Like Tree7Likes

On Road Car

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2019, 04:18 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? On Road Car

I have a couple of Arrma RC’s (6s Typhon, Talion and Notorious) but after watching some videos with a HPI WR8 and Hobao Hyper VTe have decided it's time to add an on road car to my small collection.

There are a lot of choices, but the only ones I’ve really looked at are the two mentioned above, although the Kyosho Inferno GT2 Ve looks very interesting as well (but I think it may be kinda slow on the stock setup ?).

Just looking for any advice/suggestions.

I have 2 main requirements: RTR and electric. It’ll be used for driving in parking lots but the capability to do a speed run to a decent top speed would be great. Budget is around £500’ish for the car. Sadly I'm in the UK so availability is a bit less than the US.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:37 PM
Tech Addict

Tamiya makes good cars, some come as RTR. Speed is relative so, hard to say but parking lot driving sounds like you need a TT-01. Rally car bodies, Ferrari's, GTR & lots more.

If you plan to race competitive, that's a whole other game a d more expensive, none are RTR.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Your RTR requirement really makes this answer difficult. There's a few special edition Tamiya's that are RTR...... But in the end the only reliable option is the Traxxas 4Tec, or the Vattera cars.

What's your aversion to building the car?
Old 03-13-2019, 07:44 AM
Tech Rookie

So the Kyosho Inferno GT2 Ve, HPI WR8 and Hobao Hypet VTe aren't worth considering ? I ruled out the Traxxas 4Tec as it's about 30mph max (unless I'm missing something) so too slow.

It's not an aversion, I just don't believe that I'll enjoy the process. That's probably surprising to a lot of people on a RC forum. I don't like pizza either, that doesn't change just because everyone else seems to like it.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:00 AM
Tech Apprentice

Couple of inital Questions would be what scale are you looking for.
The ones you mentioned are all 1/8 electric and I'd say this isn't an overly common scale for onroad cars. I've seen they are popular for speed runs though I think your choices of things like bodies may be more limited than with the more common 1/10 touring cars
you mention the traxxas having a low speed at 30mph. this does depend on the motor and regarless of what chassis you use there are cheap brushless options which will give lots of power and ease of use. Something like a sky rc leopard which I belive comes ready to go with connectors
Also depnding
MB models in the UK also carry some of the HPI cars like the Sport 3 which come ready to run out of the box
Old 03-13-2019, 08:10 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by stu.artd
So the Kyosho Inferno GT2 Ve, HPI WR8 and Hobao Hypet VTe aren't worth considering ? I ruled out the Traxxas 4Tec as it's about 30mph max (unless I'm missing something) so too slow.
Well, maybe? They're a different sort of car than what's usually discussed here. Around here, if you're talking on-road, you're talking 1/10 scale F1, pan cars, and Touring Cars, or 1/12 scale pan cars. That's what generally gets raced. The assumption.. was you're going racing. :-) 30mph is really fast, when you're track is 100x50'. That said, as cars go, the brushed version of the 4tec isn't that quick. Traxxas also sells a 100mph car that's 1/8th scale, not that I know what the model is off the top of my head.

I've got a whole lot better picture of what you want to do now.... You're looking for messing around in parking lots? do you have a 1/8th scale track near you?

It's not an aversion, I just don't believe that I'll enjoy the process.
That.. kinda defines aversion. :-) And that's a completely legitimate answer. There is something very nice about opening a box and getting to use a thing. Most of my planes are ARFs.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:22 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I’ve had the Hpi Sprint and Sport cars. Sport3 was disappointing.

Traxxas 4Tec, Vaterra V100, Associated Apex. Or more traditional belt driven could be the Serpent S411 RTR.

Kyosho inferno GT and Serpent CobraGT for 1/8.

Hpi WR8 is a great car. But has been difficult to find from what I’ve been reading.

30mph might sound slow. But it’s not. Sure in big open area but cut that down to reasonable sized area, 50x100, and it’s had a different perception.

Old 03-13-2019, 08:39 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by Nerobro
Well, maybe? They're a different sort of car than what's usually discussed here. Around here, if you're talking on-road, you're talking 1/10 scale F1, pan cars, and Touring Cars, or 1/12 scale pan cars. That's what generally gets raced. The assumption.. was you're going racing. :-) 30mph is really fast, when you're track is 100x50'. That said, as cars go, the brushed version of the 4tec isn't that quick. Traxxas also sells a 100mph car that's 1/8th scale, not that I know what the model is off the top of my head.

I've got a whole lot better picture of what you want to do now.... You're looking for messing around in parking lots? do you have a 1/8th scale track near you?

That.. kinda defines aversion. :-) And that's a completely legitimate answer. There is something very nice about opening a box and getting to use a thing. Most of my planes are ARFs.
Just re-read my reply, apologies if it came off a bit gruff.

Sadly there's nowhere near me that offers an outdoor or indoor track.

I've been driving my Arrma's off road or in a couple of parking lots. I stopped the off road driving for the winter, the cars can take it but the cleaning up after every run took its toll on my time. As I've been thinking about adding another car to my small collection and have been driving a lot in parking lots I got thinking about getting a car for solely on road use. I liked the mix of speed / drifting that I've seen in some videos, but don't want to lose the power/speed that I've got used to.

I think that's the XO-1 ? It looks very nice but i think it's a little over my price range
Old 03-13-2019, 08:42 AM
Tech Apprentice

Just re-read my reply, apologies if it came off a bit gruff.

Sadly there's nowhere near me that offers an outdoor or indoor track.

I've been driving my Arrma's off road or in a couple of parking lots. I stopped the off road driving for the winter, the cars can take it but the cleaning up after every run took its toll on my time. As I've been thinking about adding another car to my small collection and have been driving a lot in parking lots I got thinking about getting a car for solely on road use. I liked the mix of speed / drifting that I've seen in some videos, but don't want to lose the power/speed that I've got used to.

I think that's the XO-1 ? It looks very nice but i think it's a little over my price range
Not to sound like I doubt you but if you're in the UK have you checked the BRCA website for local clubs?
Nerobro and stu.artd like this.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:42 AM
Tech Prophet

XO-1 is kind of a 1 trick pony. It’s designed to fast in straight line. It’s not terrible for big parking lot. Even better with 1/5 tires. There no real tire options for the car. The stock tires are taller then standard 1/8.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:50 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by AW106
Couple of inital Questions would be what scale are you looking for.
The ones you mentioned are all 1/8 electric and I'd say this isn't an overly common scale for onroad cars. I've seen they are popular for speed runs though I think your choices of things like bodies may be more limited than with the more common 1/10 touring cars
you mention the traxxas having a low speed at 30mph. this does depend on the motor and regarless of what chassis you use there are cheap brushless options which will give lots of power and ease of use. Something like a sky rc leopard which I belive comes ready to go with connectors
Also depnding
MB models in the UK also carry some of the HPI cars like the Sport 3 which come ready to run out of the box
I'm looking at 1/8 or 1/10 scale. There seems a lot of tyre choice at 1/10, and I think the WR8 uses 1/10 scale 12mm hex sheels so that's a big plus for it.

I'm looking at a RTR car that I won't need to change a motor and esc in to get decent performance. I'm used to how my 1/8 Arrma's run on 6s. I'm looking for a road car with more 'drift' like handling but that still offers similar speed (45+mph). That's what drew me to the Hyper VTe and WR8. However I'm still new to RC and thought it better to seek some advice about whether they were good options, or whether there were issues I maybe hand't heard of or something else I should be looking at.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:56 AM
Tech Prophet

I'm looking at 1/8 or 1/10 scale. There seems a lot of tyre choice at 1/10, and I think the WR8 uses 1/10 scale 12mm hex sheels so that's a big plus for it.

I'm looking at a RTR car that I won't need to change a motor and esc in to get decent performance. I'm used to how my 1/8 Arrma's run on 6s. I'm looking for a road car with more 'drift' like handling but that still offers similar speed (45+mph). That's what drew me to the Hyper VTe and WR8. However I'm still new to RC and thought it better to seek some advice about whether they were good options, or whether there were issues I maybe hand't heard of or something else I should be looking at.
The WR8 does use standard sized hex. But still limited options for tires. The tires Hpi has for it are very good. And seem to no longer be constantly out of stock.

The stock esc isn’t great. I’ve killed 3/4 of them between my 2 WR8. Once fan fails, esc won’t last long.
stu.artd likes this.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by AW106
Not to sound like I doubt you but if you're in the UK have you checked the BRCA website for local clubs?
Oh, I hand't heard of that. I'll had a look and seems like there are a couple of clubs that are still active about an hours drive away. Being honest I can't see myself doing a 2 hour round trip for an indoor track, but it's something more than i knew about earlier on!.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:28 AM
Tech Addict

Oh, I hand't heard of that. I'll had a look and seems like there are a couple of clubs that are still active about an hours drive away. Being honest I can't see myself doing a 2 hour round trip for an indoor track, but it's something more than i knew about earlier on!.
Typical in NA to drive 3-4hrs round trip weekly for indoor onroad racing. Sounds like a lot but really the facility's ability to provide you with a clean, weather free place to race/practice is totally worth it.

All the suggestions so far have been great. Do yourself a favor and go to an indoor track and see what it's all about and there will be tons of face to face to steer you in the right direction.

You will find sticking with 1/10 scale gives you waaaaaay more options.
stu.artd likes this.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:20 AM
Tech Apprentice

Speaking from a UK perspective ... and a fellow 1/8 lover ..

Check out the Hobao Hyper GT, we race these in Rallycross setup at Mendip Rc Raceway .. just south of Bristol

Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1153...?ref=bookmarks

We have a club shop .. https://www.tracksidespares.co.uk/ and ask for Paul .. he can get you setup with a RTR Hyper Gt at a great price ..
stu.artd likes this.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.