Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Swapped out motor & ESC, car won't run properly >

Swapped out motor & ESC, car won't run properly

Swapped out motor & ESC, car won't run properly

Old 04-27-2019, 12:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Swapped out motor & ESC, car won't run properly

One of my vehicles has an aftermarket transmitter and receiver set (cheapo bought from Amazon, I forget the make and model). The transmitter has a low, medium & high speed switch which worked well. I just swapped out the motor and ESC (again, cheapo from Amazon) and during testing (putting it on a lift) the wheels continuously spins only when in the low setting. When switching to medium or high speed via the switch on the transmitter, the wheels spin for about 1 second then stops. Oddly, when switched to high and turning the throttle trim far to the left, the wheels start to spin continuously, automatically, but then I give the trigger full throttle I get high/full speed continuously (indicated by the ballooning of the tires) - the wheels no longer stop after 1 second. Obviously I can't operate the vehicle with trim set that far left as it will spin automatically without throttle. Any ideas why the car runs for 1 second then stops when in the medium or high speed setting? Any ideas how to fix?
Old 04-27-2019, 04:47 AM
Tech Master

did you recalibrate esc with 3 speed setting radio?
Old 04-28-2019, 02:23 PM
Tech Initiate

I did program the ESC with a programming card, not sure if that is the same as calibrating. I tried soft, medium and hard for the Start Mode and all produced the same result.

Anywho, I took it outside anyway, plugged in a 3s lipo and ran it in the low setting and the ESC exploded after the car got in the grass. I guess it couldn't handle the torque. Or the battery current (though the specs says it works with 3s). That's what I get for being cheap.

So no one makes the same mistake as I, here's what I bought that exploded (the ESC):

540 13T 4 Poles Brushed Motor and... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JQQHKYV?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
Old 04-29-2019, 04:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Programming the speed control is not the same as calibrating it. Follow instructions for ESC throttle endpoint setup (calibrating) before use.

Page not found for your Amazon address given. I would have to take a hunch on the Tx being a GoolRC TG-3 with those having the 3 way throttle limiting switch, and you probably went with one of the 45A/60A GoolRC $40 orange/black ESC/motor combos.

I doubt the speed control exploded. That would be bad. More like you, fried it?
Old 04-29-2019, 01:55 PM
Tech Initiate

The Tx is another cheap brand, INJORA, (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071JDCNHC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_3b2XCbV1R13Y8) not GoolRC.

The ESC wasn't a GoolRC either (pictured below), I don't know the brand since it's not on Amazon's site anymore. It smoked then popped (pictured below)... so, I'm not sure if that's frying or exploding. I initially thought it was the lipo battery popping, so I assumed explosion.

I did get a GoolRC 3650 4300Kv brushless motor and ESC set for my other vehicle... should I plan for that ESC to get damaged too?

Old 04-29-2019, 09:33 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Bet you didn't see that coming did you .....

Originally Posted by rustyus View Post
Originally Posted by anuvanoob View Post

Old 04-29-2019, 09:36 PM
Tech Initiate

I think something is wrong with your electronic speed control.
Old 04-29-2019, 11:19 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Push View Post
I think something is wrong with your electronic speed control.
I just need electrical tape to cover that hole and it'll be RTR again.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:46 PM
Tech Adept

I did program the ESC with a programming card, not sure if that is the same as calibrating. I tried soft, medium and hard for the Start Mode and all produced the same result.

Anywho, I took it outside anyway, plugged in a 3s lipo and ran it in the low setting and the ESC exploded after the car got in the grass. I guess it couldn't handle the torque. Or the battery current (though the specs says it works with 3s). That's what I get for being cheap.

So no one makes the same mistake as I, here's what I bought that exploded (the ESC):

540 13T 4 Poles Brushed Motor and... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JQQHKYV...p_mob_ap_share
The esc you blew up auto throttle calibrates no programming the esc to recognize throttle trigger positions does it automatically (most cheap stuff Goolrc etc. brushed or brushless is like that).

Just because a esc says it can run 3s doesn't mean you can run any old motor on 3s there is a motor turn and size limit (kv and size of motor for brushless also).

Also don't know what you put this in but you don't run a 13t 540 brushed motor on 3s it better be one lightweight RC and not ran in grass.

What battery are you using? Using a under rated 3s battery can blow (explode) caps on a esc.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:02 PM
Tech Adept

The Tx is another cheap brand, INJORA, (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071JDCNHC..._3b2XCbV1R13Y8) not GoolRC.

The ESC wasn't a GoolRC either (pictured below), I don't know the brand since it's not on Amazon's site anymore. It smoked then popped (pictured below)... so, I'm not sure if that's frying or exploding. I initially thought it was the lipo battery popping, so I assumed explosion.

I did get a GoolRC 3650 4300Kv brushless motor and ESC set for my other vehicle... should I plan for that ESC to get damaged too?

Yep the cap (capacitor) exploded.

The transmitter you have is the same as a Goolrc TG-3 and Austar AX-5 just named different.

Esc same as a Goolrc again renamed.

The Goolrc escs plus the look a-likes are very hit and miss (reliability) not waterproofed very well if at all. The motors are not that bad it's the escs that can stink. Run that 4300kv 60a on 2s and not through any water you might be fine. But your pushing your luck even more running 3s and through any water. All the cheap escs I splash proof/ waterproof myself.

The stuff is cheap but you must use a little common sense don't believe everything that is written spec wise everything has it's limit especially the cheap stuff.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:08 PM
Tech Initiate

i actually burst out laughing when the picture of the exploded speedo came up. LOL
Old 05-01-2019, 10:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Igottabeme View Post
The esc you blew up auto throttle calibrates no programming the esc to recognize throttle trigger positions does it automatically (most cheap stuff Goolrc etc. brushed or brushless is like that).

Just because a esc says it can run 3s doesn't mean you can run any old motor on 3s there is a motor turn and size limit (kv and size of motor for brushless also).

Also don't know what you put this in but you don't run a 13t 540 brushed motor on 3s it better be one lightweight RC and not ran in grass.

What battery are you using? Using a under rated 3s battery can blow (explode) caps on a esc.
It's an old Losi High Roller monster truck. The battery was a Zeee 3s 60c 5200 mAh lipo.

I finally got around to counting the teeth on the pinion and spur gears and they are 28T and 87T, respectively. I just learned about significance of pinion and spur sizes and those gear sizes explains why the truck always has terrible acceleration (but better top speed) and why the positive wire constantly de-solders itself from any motor (motor heat). Would this gear ratio be more of a reason for the explosion or is the theory of the wrong battery (3s) + not being a lightweight car + driving on grass more of the reason?

Old 05-01-2019, 10:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 91 (100%+)

Well judging off the common similar motors on Amazon, quite a few state the motor max voltage 7.4V. Was this the case with your motor, given you ran it on 3S.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:30 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

It's an old Losi High Roller monster truck. The battery was a Zeee 3s 60c 5200 mAh lipo.

I finally got around to counting the teeth on the pinion and spur gears and they are 28T and 87T, respectively. I just learned about significance of pinion and spur sizes and those gear sizes explains why the truck always has terrible acceleration (but better top speed) and why the positive wire constantly de-solders itself from any motor (motor heat). Would this gear ratio be more of a reason for the explosion or is the theory of the wrong battery (3s) + not being a lightweight car + driving on grass more of the reason?
I would say yes to all of the above. All of those things are contributing factors but the 87 T spur gears tell me this truck was never intended to go very fast. Obviously somebody thought differently.