Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Starting out in Sydney >

Starting out in Sydney

Starting out in Sydney

Old 04-21-2019, 05:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Starting out in Sydney

Hello Everyone,

This is my very first post and, I guess, the classic what-to-buy-first thing. Let's see, my son's 9th birthday is approaching. He has an older, 10 going to 11, brother. I'd like to get an rc car for the birthday boy (for all of us to play with). I have decided I would spend up to AU$350 for the whole thing. I want to buy from a local hobby shop so I will always have pieces and support at hand. I am looking at a car to run in the park, so lots of grass, some dirt, gravel and paved paths. There are opportunities to jump as well. Those are the RTR options I have (prices in AUD):

-Funtek DT12 desert truck $149
-HSP 1/10 4x4 for $199
-Arrma Granite Mega 2wd $249 (Vorteks $299)
-Traxxas Stampede 2wd $299
-Traxxas Bandit 2wd $299
-HPI Jumpshot $299
-HPI Jumpshot Flux $329
-Arrma Granite Mega 4x4 $349 (out of stock and I doubt it will come back)

Except the Flux all the cars are brushed. I have been reading reviews. It looks to me the Stampede might be the best option. It looks like the Mega and Voltage version of the Granite are cutting too much corners, even though they are are more modern design than the Stampede and they come bearings. It also looks like people like the Stampede better than the Jumpshots. The Stampede comes only with a charger that can be used only from a car cigarette lighter, which I find quite annoying. On the other hand is a fast charger, but i would need the home adapter which is a bit pricey in Australia. Down the track, if we get settled in the hobby, we'll need a proper charger and LiPo batteries which will be expensive if we go the easy way and stick to Traxxas.

Any thoughts? I need to get this done over the next couple of weeks. Comments are most appreciated.
Old 04-26-2019, 07:54 PM
Tech Adept

With traxxas upgraded parts are always plentiful, down side is everything you buy has to be traxxas specific. Their batteries have different plugs so you need their charger. Other vehicles will be universal from motors to esc to batteries.
Old 04-27-2019, 06:26 AM
Tech Rookie

I ended up getting the Stampede from the local shop. It was on special at AU$280 which is about US$197. Note that all Australian taxes include the sales tax. At the end I was in doubt between the Stampede and the Ruckus. I developed serious doubts about the Granite Mega earlier, which seems discontinued in the Horizon Hobby website. The Ruckus seems to be in the way to be discontinued as well. Also, I like the fact the Stampede would be more fun than the Ruckus out of the box as it comes with a more powerful motor and we would be able to get far more run time with the stock battery. The chargers coming with both trucks are next to useless, the Stampede is fast but a car charger and the Ruckus a not-so-fast wall charger. In any case, I would need to pay $40 more for the Ruckus and go to a shop quite far from where I live.

I also got a 2 channel Skyrc dual charger (at a good price) to cover all my needs, for the 'Pede and the planes, for years to come. I have an XT60 to Traxxas connector, but in the future I may just change everything to XT60.

The guys at my LHS seem knowledgeable and helpful. While I was deciding whether and which charger to get, some guy appeared with an X-MAXX. He had a defective ESC. The shop technician installed a new one in no time, completely free of charge.