Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
2019: Top/best 1/10 4wd TC? for racing >

2019: Top/best 1/10 4wd TC? for racing

Like Tree8Likes

2019: Top/best 1/10 4wd TC? for racing

Old 01-10-2019, 01:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? 2019: Top/best 1/10 4wd TC? for racing

raced touring cars back in the 90s when the RS4 Pro (1) was hot.

recently got into a bit off offroad and looking at onroad now seriously as i also do track days in full size cars.

whats the top 3 chassis out there right now? for competitive racing.
also looking for something with good long term US parts support as i keep my cars for ever. (still have that RS4 Pro) as well as good online presence for help and setups.

any help and advice would be appreciated.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:23 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

XRAY T4 is up there. Especially when you talk long term parts support.
mooby64 likes this.
Old 01-10-2019, 01:45 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It's a more complex car but the awesomatix cars are some of the fastest and highest quality cars on the market.

Good parts support thru awesomatixusa.

Top picture is the A800MMCX and the bottom is the A800X.

JD & RACING
Awesomatix USA
Awesomatix A800 & A800X Setup Sheets
Old 01-10-2019, 01:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Go to your local track(s) and see what they're running. Are you planning on carpet or asphalt?

Many manufactures release an updated car every year. That means 1: worrying about longtime support is sort of a moot point; and 2: there are often good deals on used one version/year old cars to be had, while you figure out what you really want.

Having said all that, you really can't go wrong with Xray, Yokomo, or Associated when looking for a competitive car with great knowledge-bases and parts availability. Destiny and Infinity have solid cars, but support can be somewhat more difficult depending on where you race. The Awesomatix is an unconventional design but once you wrap your head around it, it's a hell of a machine!
Old 01-10-2019, 01:58 PM
Tech Regular

-Top 2 = Xray T4 and Awesomatix A800
-The rest: Associated T7.1, Yokomo BD9, Xpress XQ1, Destiny RX10-SR, Serpent Project X, Kyosho, etc..
iTz Nicholas72 likes this.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:04 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JeffC View Post
Go to your local track(s) and see what they're running. Are you planning on carpet or asphalt?

Many manufactures release an updated car every year. That means 1: worrying about longtime support is sort of a moot point; and 2: there are often good deals on used one version/year old cars to be had, while you figure out what you really want.

Having said all that, you really can't go wrong with Xray, Yokomo, or Associated when looking for a competitive car with great knowledge-bases and parts availability. Destiny and Infinity have solid cars, but support can be somewhat more difficult depending on where you race. The Awesomatix is an unconventional design but once you wrap your head around it, it's a hell of a machine!
asphalt.
ironically those were the top 3 i was looking at based on my own research.

i have no interest really in companies ive never heard of/new companies. (especially ones called "awesome" or "destiny", sounds like some hipster shit) again kinda back to the long term thing. im more into the established major companies.

side note:
one thing i came across was the Associated mentioned it had a front spool? this seems like it would be really terrible. ie for turn in and off throttle steering. but maybe these new cars have so much grip, they are trying to dial it back? is this common? what types of tracks benefit from this?

Old 01-10-2019, 02:06 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by johnzhou2476 View Post
-Top 2 = Xray T4 and Awesomatix A800
-The rest: Associated T7.1, Yokomo BD9, Xpress XQ1, Destiny RX10-SR, Serpent Project X, Kyosho, etc..
the 2019 T4 was probly at the top of my list before i starting this thread. just based on website, ebay parts, and forum threads.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:11 PM
Tech Initiate

well thats a bummer looks like i was moved to the rookie forum. ive been into rc over 2 decades, and have 2 bedrooms and 1 trailer full of over 40 hobby grade RCs
freaksofnature likes this.
Old 01-10-2019, 05:00 PM
Tech Regular

Yes, awesomatix and destiny sounds funky. When I just started out, I only researched on the big brand names.

But when you've been driving TC competitively for awhile...you'll know what they're all about. Do some research on your own now that you know their names.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:12 AM
Tech Elite

All touring cars nowadays have a front spool and a rear oil filled gear diff. Ball diffs are almost non-existent, and one-ways have definitely died, lmao.

The front spool helps prevent you from spinning out easily when you come into a corner hot, and help you put the power down out of the corner. Somehow the cars seem to get around corners alright. Personally can't abide by them.... but there's nothing stopping you from getting another diff and popping it in the front.
Old 01-11-2019, 04:32 AM
Tech Master

car of the year....

like long ago.. battery of the season... motor of the month.. tire of the week.

all major brands offer good support...

so many companies have gone out of business.. just like race Tracks.
electric rc racing since 1991.
Old 01-12-2019, 05:03 PM
Tech Regular

Honestly T4 or bd9 will be best for you, as much as I love to tell and show people why Awesomatix are such amazing cars in reality they are a lot of settings to take in for a person looking to get back into racing onroad and you can easily get lost in the setup. Not having a local driver that runs Awesomatix cars can also be a issue. With that being said +1 for finding out who's running what there as support is always nice to have.

Hope this helps.
johnzhou2476 likes this.
Old 01-14-2019, 07:50 AM
Tech Regular

You asked for top 3 chassis so I offered my opinion. But as Hopscotch pointed out, Awesomatix is not a beginner car and I couldn’t agree more. This is a car for someone who’s been racing competitively for awhile and is looking for that extra edge. At my track 360V2, all the top USGT drivers are running Awesomatix. There’s something about the low CG and the design that simply make this car go faster than anything else especially in slower 21.5 motor class. A few guys switched from T4 to Awesomatix and they were able to shave a few 10th off their lap time just like that.
Rustytruck and Hopscotch like this.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:08 PM
Tech Regular

^this exactly, I've seen it go both ways. I've seen people run the AMX starting out then switch to a T4 and pick up a few tenths instantly. This is because they didn't fully understand how to set the amx up. Especially the 700s have a very fine window where they are extremely fast but you need to put the work In to find it.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:59 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Awesomatix is a very very complicated kit. Definitely not a beginners kit. Iíve always run Yokomo but they are on the dearer end.
I started with a cheap Sakura where the basics are the same and spare parts (which you will need a lot of as a beginner) are much cheaper.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.