Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Help finding a baseline carpet tuning >

Help finding a baseline carpet tuning

Help finding a baseline carpet tuning

Old 01-06-2019, 07:52 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Questions?? Help finding a baseline carpet tuning

After running a few races on outdoor dirt in 2WD SCT and 4WD buggy, I recently moved over to running on a couple very small indoor carpet tracks. While the SCT made this transition with very little effort, my 4WD buggy has not. Without getting into vendor or track specifics(I enjoy working on the buggy and really want to learn the theory that rules the setups), are there certain parts of the setup that will allow me to get the buggy under control long enough to begin tuning? As it stands now, I switched over the tires to match the pin type styles the local drivers recommended. That was my only change though as it just seems too out of control to begin hammering down any other fixes at my skill level.

It will spin immediately if not extremely precise with the steering. I tried turning the dual rate on the transmitter down, but then was unable to make some of the hairpins on the track...it still would spin out easily on a turn though with too much throttle. Coming off the straightaways, any attempt to make a turn without first breaking to a near stop would cause it to flip over. Tapping throttle partway through a turn would either cause a spin or a flip.

Currently the front shocks have a light weight spring, rears are medium. Front and rear have light sway bars. I'm currently running a 6.5T motor, which I am now sure is way too much, and plan to move to an 8.5. Is that one item a likely cause for all of this, or are there other things that would also help get this thing back onto a setup that I have a chance to fine tune.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:27 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You really do need to post the brand of buggy for the best assistance.

In general, you can stiffen the front and loosen the back which will lessen the oversteer. i.e. run stronger springs, up front and softer springs in the rear (and with sway bars/ARB's). You could also try a less aggressive tire in the front.
Old 01-07-2019, 08:47 AM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mahjik
You really do need to post the brand of buggy for the best assistance.

In general, you can stiffen the front and loosen the back which will lessen the oversteer. i.e. run stronger springs, up front and softer springs in the rear (and with sway bars/ARB's). You could also try a less aggressive tire in the front.
Thanks for that. My next track day I'll take a few sets of springs and try that out. The buggy itself is an HB D413. Front tires are running cactus fusions, and mini pins on the back. I'll try the springs and going to the 8.5 motor, and see what that does for me. I have some barcodes and slicks for the front too, might swap through those as well if the other changes aren't enough.
Old 01-07-2019, 09:24 AM
Tech Addict

Looks like you can also adjust your diff oil weights as well to help:

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy
Old 01-07-2019, 02:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by Mahjik
Looks like you can also adjust your diff oil weights as well to help:

Hot Bodies D413 1/10 4WD Buggy
Yea, it seems like that is almost a requirement for this buggy on carpet. When the new springs go on, does that need a shock oil change as well, or is it ok to try the springs first and see? Right now the front and back have the lightest sway bars...any value in going stiffer on the front with the heavier springs?
Old 01-07-2019, 02:38 PM
Tech Addict

You can try the springs without changing the damper oil weight. The oil and the springs have different functions.

As for the sway bars, I would recommend trying one change at time and run some laps. You might eventually alter the sway bars, but do one change at a time with some testing so you can determine if things are getting better or worse.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 109 (100%+)

look here towards the bottom of the page, it says indoors. those are the carpet setups for your buggy: Hot Bodies D413 Setup Sheets
Old 01-11-2019, 01:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Originally Posted by Darkstorm05
Thanks for that. My next track day I'll take a few sets of springs and try that out. The buggy itself is an HB D413. Front tires are running cactus fusions, and mini pins on the back. I'll try the springs and going to the 8.5 motor, and see what that does for me. I have some barcodes and slicks for the front too, might swap through those as well if the other changes aren't enough.
Also try lowering ride height and droop. These two will essentially eliminate the tendency of the car to traction roll.