Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By dmourati
  • 1 Post By mushroomed
  • 1 Post By dmourati

First Build: Success!

Old 12-24-2018, 11:48 AM
Tech Initiate

Default First Build: Success!

I just finished my first RC build last night and it was a success. I'm really surprised it worked out given how many problems I created and had to solve. The car is a YZ-4SF I bought here as a roller and then I added my own electronics and motor.

I made so many rookie mistakes I lost count. The car is still not perfect. I am working on fixing the steering (it doesn't go hard right). I also think I have the gear mesh a little too loose as I can hear gear skipping when I go full throttle. Still, I'm amazed I was able to get all the wiring done and even managed to rewire the ESC with my own wires from TQ.

Here's a look at how badly I messed up when desoldering my ESC. Look at the right two posts.

Bad desoldering job.

An hour and half and a trip to Fry's later.

Now off for another run.
mushroomed likes this.

Last edited by dmourati; 12-24-2018 at 12:20 PM.
Old 12-24-2018, 07:17 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Nice job, glad you could get it running!

To fix the steering:
1. Disconnect the servo horn
2. Reset the trim and sub trim on your transmitter to zero
3. Turn the esc so that the servo centres itself
4. Reattach the servo horn in a position that brings the wheels as close as possible to straight
5. Use the sub trim / trim to get the car tracking straight
6. Set the end points individually so that the servo only moves the steering as far as the physical limit. I do this by turning the transmitter wheel all the way to the side, and turning down the endpoint on that side until I see the wheels start to move in from full lock. Do this for both sides, the numbers donít need to be equal.
7. If the steering is too sensitive adjust the dual rate (or travel setting). This will reduce the overall steering range equally.
dmourati likes this.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:30 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by mushroomed
Nice job, glad you could get it running!

To fix the steering:
1. Disconnect the servo horn
2. Reset the trim and sub trim on your transmitter to zero
3. Turn the esc so that the servo centres itself
4. Reattach the servo horn in a position that brings the wheels as close as possible to straight
5. Use the sub trim / trim to get the car tracking straight
6. Set the end points individually so that the servo only moves the steering as far as the physical limit. I do this by turning the transmitter wheel all the way to the side, and turning down the endpoint on that side until I see the wheels start to move in from full lock. Do this for both sides, the numbers don’t need to be equal.
7. If the steering is too sensitive adjust the dual rate (or travel setting). This will reduce the overall steering range equally.
Thanks. I got it improved with the above steps. I had to shorten the servo rod/turnbuckle assembly. It was a few mm too long. Merry Christmas!
mushroomed likes this.

Last edited by dmourati; 12-24-2018 at 10:44 PM.