upgrade help and info.

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Igottabeme
  • 1 Post By JCG1

upgrade help and info.

Old 12-21-2018, 12:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? upgrade help and info.

I got my son a red cat volcano truck, very basic, just in case he wasn't into it. Has the standard 2200 7.2v battery and stock motor. The battery only last like 7 minutes if that. Last year we went to a hobby shop to get a motor that was a little faster and they sold me a motor with brushes, and then I asked about a battery to make it last longer and they sold me a lipo battery.
well the engine caught fire. I talked to another person that deals with RC's and they said you shouldn't use a Lipo with that kind of motor.
So I guess my question is what exactly could I do to slightly upgrade the engine and battery to make it a little faster and last longer? I've been reading about ESC's and neither place mentioned that to me. I'm fairly new to this. I have an old school Traxxas T-Maxx 2.5 Nitro, seems everyone is going battery now.

Thank you.
Old 12-21-2018, 12:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

You can always upgrade to brushless it will give you more speed. As far as runtime the higher the mah the longer the run time. A 8000mah 2s lipo will give you more run time than a 5000mah 2s lipo. But a 3s lipo will also give you more speed than a 2s lipo
Old 12-21-2018, 12:49 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by freaksofnature
You can always upgrade to brushless it will give you more speed. As far as runtime the higher the mah the longer the run time. A 8000mah 2s lipo will give you more run time than a 5000mah 2s lipo. But a 3s lipo will also give you more speed than a 2s lipo
Thank you. So is that a basic rule of thumb, use lipos with brushless motors? Just curious if that's why that other motor caught fire, or just bad luck. Also what is the ESC exactly used for?
Old 12-21-2018, 12:56 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tc12678
Thank you. So is that a basic rule of thumb, use lipos with brushless motors? Just curious if that's why that other motor caught fire, or just bad luck. Also what is the ESC exactly used for?
you can use "old school" nicd batteries but lipos are better. Could be a bad motor you had. I had a motor smoke on my but it had 3 years of heavy use in a 3 pound scale crawler. The esc is what controls the motor it is in essence like the computer in your car. You step on the gas in your car and the brain tells the engine to rev higher. The esc does the same thing you pull the trigger and the car or truck goes faster. Esc is short for Electronic Speed Controler. Hope this helps
Old 12-21-2018, 02:56 PM
Tech Adept

Lipos sustain most of their power throughout the run of the pack until you hit low voltage cutoff (LVC). A nimh will lose its charge faster it will drop its voltage quicker. A fully charged 2s lipo is 8.4v the higher voltage along with the longer run time with a brushed motor will make the motor run faster for longer but create more heat and burn up the motor. Nimh is fine with some brushless motors but the power will not be the same as with lipo (7.2 nimh vs 2s lipo).

My Volcano was brushed but I made it brushless burnt out the stock motor on the second run (not consecutive) on a 2s pack. My advice go brushless and not waste anymore time or money on brushed motors.

Something like this combo https://www.ebay.com/itm/WP-10BL50-3...4/142562597914 should work pretty well it's close to the stock brushless Volcano motor/esc.
freaksofnature likes this.
Old 12-21-2018, 03:35 PM
Tech Elite

brushed motors can and are used with 2 cell lipos.heat was generated thru motor then you have a fire...now using a more mah battery will add weight to your rc causing extra heat and weight . that will also effect handling but will add to runtime..
Old 12-21-2018, 05:19 PM
Tech Master

Here are some general guidelines for esc's and brushless motors;
There are two pole and four pole motors. 4-Pole Motor
2 pole motors are listed by the number of turns, I.E. 35T or 13.5T. The lower the turns the faster the motor.
4 pole motors are listed by the Kv number I.E. 4000Kv or 2200Kv. https://www.rotordronemag.com/unders...s/#outer-popup
On a 2S lipo battery you want to run a motor with a Kv rating of 4000 and up, a 3S battery works best with a Kv of 2800 to 3900 and a 4s battery works best with a Kv around 2000.
The ESC or Electronic Speed Controller is rated by the amperage it can handle. You want to get one with at least 60 to 80 amps for a 2s to 3s motor.
You can find some bargains on Ebay and Amazon or you can order from your hobbyshop or one of the bigger online hobby stores like Amain, Horizon or Tower.

good luck and keep firing away the questions.
Old 12-26-2018, 10:39 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (86%+)

Originally Posted by tc12678
Thank you. So is that a basic rule of thumb, use lipos with brushless motors?
Not necessarily, I run the original brushed motor on my Tamiya Sand Viper with a 2S Lipo, no problem.
But the problem may be gearing. Your new brushed motor may run at higher RPM than the original motor, leading to excessive heat and hence the fire. Drop a few teeth on your pinion and check motor temp to make sure it does not go above 170℉, ideally keep it below 150℉ to be safe.
the rc guy likes this.