Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Want to get started in racing; suggestions? >

Want to get started in racing; suggestions?

Want to get started in racing; suggestions?

Old 12-04-2018, 08:01 AM
Tech Initiate

Questions?? Want to get started in racing; suggestions?

Hello, I'm new here. Traxxas forums and RC Universe forums aren't active, so I decided to move here. I had a few questions. Well, a bit more than a few. Also, I own a 1/10 Traxxas Nitro Slash, but I can't race it anywhere near me. I've had it for a year now. It's my first and only "real" RC car. I also can't race nitro indoors (duh).

I really want to get started in RC racing, and figured that the 1/10 electric 2WD buggy class would be the best place to start. There's a track somewhere near me that actively races that 1/10 class.

I saw a re-release Team Associated RC10 World's Car kit for sale on eBay, but it was $350. That excludes all of the electronics I'll be needing. I really do like the body style of that particular buggy, but $350 seems a little excessive for that kind of kit. I also saw an original RC10 World's Car chassis on eBay for a bit more than a $100, and it includes an ESC, tires, and a few other parts. But it doesn't come with the cool body. I don't really like the newer buggies; the older buggies like the RC10B2/B3 and the World's Car look neat in an odd way.

The questions:

Would an older buggy still be competitive nowadays with current parts? And are older buggies like the ones I mentioned even legal in current racing? If not, what buggy would you recommend? What brushless motor would you all recommend? I was looking for something with a lot of torque, but not "illegal" in buggy racing. I'm not looking to spend more than $500 if that's reasonable. Does anyone have a RC10B2/B3 or World's Car roller for sale, or know where I could find one? I could only find a re-release World's Car and a possible original World's Car chassis on eBay. What would the total cost of ESC, receiver, transmitter (planning on using my Traxxas remote with the new buggy), motor and other parts be?

Any information is appreciated!
Old 12-05-2018, 01:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

The buggies you mention are several generations old - just like in full scale, a lot has changed in that time. Unless you like a big challenge, I would steer away from the buggies you mentioned - you won't find parts and you won't be competitive.

You need to go to the track / tracks where you would race. An indoor clay set up is different from a outdoor dirt or a turf track or a carpet track. Find out what track you will race at and get the car to match the track.

If it was me, I'd look at the Associated B6.1 or a used B6 - even then there are 2 versions of each available.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:41 PM
Tech Initiate

I was considering a RC10B6, but I don't know which one to get, and what motor to use.
The RC10B6.1 Factory lite seems cool as it's light. The team kit version of the B6.1 has high traction, but I don't know if that will benefit me at tracks where you don't want that much traction. I like to drift.

Is there a handling difference between the RC10B6 buggies and the TLR 22 4.0 and 22 Spec racer buggies?

Also about motors:
At the Reedy website, there's sensorless motors and sensored motors meant for spec racing. What Reedy motor would you suggest? And I would need a ESC with all those motors, right? I don't understand the sensor part though.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:04 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lazyfortress
Would an older buggy still be competitive nowadays with current parts?
Drivers being equal, no.

Originally Posted by lazyfortress
And are older buggies like the ones I mentioned even legal in current racing?
Most local clubs don't usually care unless you are winning. If you aren't winning, most local clubs just prefer to have numbers on the track. Check with your local track but as long as you run compliant electronics for your class, they likely won't care.

Old 12-09-2018, 11:41 AM
Tech Initiate

Should I wait for the TLR 22 5.0 DC, or get the TLR 22 4.0 SR now? I'm going to Ohio during Christmas break, and the hotel I'm staying at is connected to a mall. I've stayed there before, and the mall is EMPTY at like 7AM. I was planning on running my buggy in the mall, as I can't run a nitro Slash inside. If I get a 22 5.0, I won't be able to run it during my Christmas break. Is the 22 5.0 worth the wait and extra $60 over the 22 4.0SR?

Also, I found a Reedy Blackbox 600Z ESC/Sonic 540-FT Brushless Combo (17.5T) for $116.99. Is that motor competitive nowadays? I don't want to spend too much. The local hobby shop owner recommended a Castle 17.5 motor, but those appear to be too much.

Does it matter what servos I get? Also I'm gonna buy a DX5C transmitter/receiver for the buggy. Is that alright?

Oh, and batteries. Any suggestions? I don't want to spend over $100 for a battery if that's realistic. I was planning on getting two batteries to start off.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:34 PM
Tech Adept

If you really want to race, I would go to that track and talk to people to see what they are running and get more information on the class rules. You don;t want to invest alot of cash and later find out they wont allow this or that,
Old 12-15-2018, 06:41 AM
Tech Elite

most local tracks have rule . see if they have a website with posted rule lists . or go into location and get some info..some clubs tracks will say they follow rule by so so but they really dont..
Old 12-15-2018, 07:26 AM
Tech Master

if you WANT to race... looks has very little value in that choice...

as already said... talk with the local racers.. and the track operator... find a class.. get what is current and legal ..... and HAVE FUN.