Buggy as Good All Rounder >

Buggy as Good All Rounder

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By jawelsh

Buggy as Good All Rounder

Old 12-03-2018, 12:14 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Buggy as Good All Rounder

First post here. I'm brand new and could use some help.

I'm looking for a good all around car to get back into the hobby. Years ago I had a buggy and that's what I'm most familiar with. My question is what kind of street performance can I expect out of a buggy? Can a buggy with appropriate tires be made to work well on street surfaces (asphalt, concrete, sidewalks, etc)?

Say a Yokomo YZ-2/YZ-4, Xray XB2/XB4 or similar higher end buggy. I'm not sure on 2w vs 4w yet. Suggestions welcome.

The reason I'm asking is I'd like the car to do double duty. Fun driving around my neighborhood, in my backyard/driveway, and probably at local grass parks, some dirt, etc. I'd also like to do some friendly racing on asphalt/concrete.

I originally started looking at touring cars but I quickly realized it would be fairly limited in terms of places I could really run them so I moved on to buggies. I realize a purpose built touring car will outperform a buggy on the road but what I don't know is by how much. I also don't know to what extent you can setup a buggy to do better on street.

Thanks.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:08 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Should work out fine - get some street tires from Proline Racing or Duratrax - off road tires will wear out fast on the street. 4 wheel drive would probably work better for harder surfaces. I'd suggest a mid priced 13.5 motor, you'll get good speed and you don't have to buy a high end "stock" motor.

Touring cars won't work - unless you like replacing broken parts
Old 12-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Personally, I don't know that I'd go with a race focused buggy for that type of use. They generally don't have many guards around their front end suspension components which can make them very susceptible to getting broken around the neighborhood. Also, their ground clearance is typically very low since they are designed for prepared surfaces.
Old 12-04-2018, 11:41 AM
Tech Regular

The buggy idea sounds good for what you want. A club I used to race at ran buggies and touring cars indoors, they just added some jumps for the buggies, and the buggies were fast. 4wd ran 8.5T blinky and 2wd 10.5T blinky.

The good thing about a race kit like you've mentioned above is the durability of them - I have broken 1 thing running 2 Kyosho buggies for 2 years in 17.5T blinky class outdoors on clay. They can also be adjusted easily, onroad you'd drop the ride height and raise it for for offroad, and work out the rest of the changes as you go. You may need to change your pinion too, lower gearing for offroad and higher for onroad, just depends on the motor temps and how aggressively you gear it.
Old 12-04-2018, 12:30 PM
Tech Master

Take a look at the Arrma Typhon. It's a capable 1/8 buggy that people have used for racing or on road speed runs. There's also some videos of it with monster truck tires. It's a very durable rc car.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...y=arrma+typhon
Old 12-04-2018, 10:46 PM
Tech Initiate

I appreciate all the help. I'll post up here with what I end up with. Still leaning towards XB4.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:26 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

b6.1
VoltageDrop likes this.
Old 12-06-2018, 08:50 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Buggies are hard to tame on asphalt but they are useable if you adjust them right and get street tires. I bash a B5m on the streets with a 3s and its crazy fast. It likes to roll over a lot at first so adjust it so low and a little less traction so it can slide a little. Or go with a harder compound tire to ease the traction.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:08 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the replies! I bought a used Yokomo YZ-4SF. Stoked! I may have to step it up and race this bad boy.