Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Recommendation for kids cars - 4yo and 8yo >

Recommendation for kids cars - 4yo and 8yo

Like Tree4Likes

Recommendation for kids cars - 4yo and 8yo

Old 12-02-2018, 08:24 AM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Recommendation for kids cars - 4yo and 8yo

I have never had a true RC hobby car, but I'm tired of getting my kids cheap cars from Walmart only to have them break 2 hours later.

Here's what I'm looking for my 4 yo and 8 yo (both need to have the same car in order to maintain house harmony):
  • (Mostly) Indestructible (I'm OK with making minor repairs, but never having had a hobby car, not sure what I might be getting into here)
  • (Mostly) Pre-assembled
  • Long Play time on one charge
  • Something that longer grass/leaves isn't going to bog down
  • Easy for kids to charge by themselves
  • Budget $75-$150 per vehicle set-up
From research here, it seems like a lot of people recommend the Slash 2WD or something by ECS, but I don't think I need all the speed these machines seem to offer. Maybe I should be looking at crawlers? Help! Thanks!
Old 12-02-2018, 09:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Last Christmas, Santa brought a Traxxas Rustler for our 10 year old and a Traxxas Stampede for the 5 year old. We also got a LiPo battery for each and the dual Traxxas charger. With those batteries, they get about 20-25 minutes running around the backyard and through the garden.

While being more expensive than some equivalent equipment, there are some benefits to the Traxxas systems. Their battery system is pretty foolproof. They can not be plugged in backwards and the ID system determines what the batteries are. Also, you can easily set their ESCs to training mode. This allows the vehicles to only achieve half speed.

I would suggest checking your local hobby shops, if applicable, and see what they stock. Unfortunately they will break parts. But being able to run out and get the parts locally is a benefit.

Good luck!!
Old 12-02-2018, 09:48 AM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Not going to find much in that price range. Unless going small scale.

Breaking parts is part of the the learning curve. Lower speeds will help, having an open area is best. It’s pretty amazing the abuse they can take. But there are limits. And over time from repeated use parts will eventually fail. Avoiding impacts, walls, trees, curbs, mailbox and so on. Especially when learning.

Kids cam cam pick up driving fairly quick. The one problem most have is using the brakes. Controllers aren’t designed for kids hands, ( I’ve suggested a kid size controller for years)

While you’ll get a mixed opinion on Traxxas. It’s hard not to suggest them. Parts are fairly low priced and easy to find. Plus there is strong aftermarket for them. Allows for options.

The crawler/scale trucks look very cool. And it’s the in thing right now for the brands. But they do have a limited speed. Most are under 15mph. Fine for a drive down a forest path. But slow for jumping and messing around.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:36 AM
Tech Champion

The Tamiya Fighter buggy is a good and affordable start.
Old 12-03-2018, 11:01 AM
Tech Regular

I have no idea on prices where you are so can't really recommend particular models, but I would consider a kit rather than built. You could get your 8yo involved in the build and if you build it you know how to repair it. I started with 2 Tamiya TT02B buggies a couple of years ago and they have been great. My 5yo son loves them and has a few now and his mates come over and use those buggies while he uses his other ones. Knowing how they go together means repairs are easy to make on the go without needing to check the manual. Tamiya have their flaws but they are pretty robust, and the pretty soft plastic on their low end kits mean they are flexible and don't really break. The only upgrade you need is bearings as they come with plastic bushes which wear and affect runtimes. Bearings are cheap and just buy them at the start and fit them as you build.

One thing I found is life changing is the transmitter. If you get one with End Point Adjustment (EPA) you can slow the car down while they're learning and this makes it easier for them and reduce breakages. I've ended up with Futaba 3PRKA and 3PV (among others) which have the setting, but if you go for sticks you can just tape a piece of foam in the throttle stick to stop it going to full speed.
Old 12-03-2018, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

A couple of 2wd Arrma Granite trucks would be a good choice for that age.

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXHBLB**&P=0
Old 12-03-2018, 02:32 PM
Tech Elite

Traxxas is my vote for that ages.. traxxas has a training mode switch on its remotes..also 2 of them are in your price range.
Coop7x likes this.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I bought my son an team associated RC28 lucas oil edition for $50 rtr. It is way better than toy Rc cars, yet not quite hobby grade, its middle road. I would highly recommend that for your 4yo.

As for the 8yo. Maybe get an AE reflex 4wd buggy for $125. More hobby grade and a blast to drive. My nephew has one and it is a cool little car and surprisingly quick!
mr_tim likes this.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:55 PM
Tech Rookie

My daughter is three and has a 2wd Slash that has a 35t brushed motor. In training mode it barely moves, but has enough torque to almost climb a wall. I agree with previous comments about radio size. She is small and has small hands which is a challenge with the factory Traxxas radio.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:25 PM
Tech Rookie

I would suggest a traxxas Stampede.
Old 04-11-2019, 12:44 AM
Tech Initiate

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by victor gator View Post
$75-$150 per vehicle set-up
Towards the lower end of that price range, may I recommend the Xinlehong/Hosim 9125 1:10? Battery and charger included, decent part availability, etc. Currently goes for $80 on GearBest but that price fluctuates. I can speak for it because I own one, but it never hurts to watch some reviews before buying.
Old 04-11-2019, 09:16 AM
Tech Regular

Location: northern Indiana southern Michigan all depends on the day.

Hate to burst your bubble but this is kinda a old post.
12/02/2018.
He probably already got one for his kids bay now.
🎄🎅🤶🎄
Old 04-14-2019, 01:24 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by killer rock View Post
Hate to burst your bubble but this is kinda a old post.
12/02/2018.
He probably already got one for his kids bay now.
🎄🎅🤶🎄
Hmm. Too late for the kids too early for the grand kids. Oh well.
killer rock likes this.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:19 AM
Tech Rookie

It might be an old post but the Team Associated 1/28 series is a lot of fun. I have the MT, SC, RC models and have built a complete figure 8 track from shipping boxes that we can re-order and challenge drivers at any skill level. We also have a bunch of other cars but the 1/28 are used daily. One thing we did was crack the chassis on one and put in a 2000mAh battery with a y cable for easier charging, longer running and an FPV camera. Try driving a cardboard track with an FPV camera on a 50" TV or with Oculus. The 3ms delay can ruin your day...
Dave_S likes this.
Old 06-25-2020, 10:07 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just picked up my son a HBX 16889 from Banggood for under $100. Impressive and if he loses interest it isn't a big deal.

Great little basher with awesome feedback online too!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.