First real interest with RC Trucks >

First real interest with RC Trucks

Like Tree5Likes

First real interest with RC Trucks

Old 11-12-2018, 04:09 PM
Tech Rookie

Red face First real interest with RC Trucks

Hello all,

So I'm just starting to realize I want a RC Truck. I've only owned a basic 80$usd drone.

I'm looking for some insight and recommendations, I've not decided upon anything I don't even know what store/seller to begin with.

I would like to spend at a max 300 usd for my first setup but recommend what you must. I would be needing the controller of course and batteries.

If there is an option to build the vehicle myself to save money, or just if I can. I would really enjoy putting the machine together.

I would also be okay with buying parts and not a kit. I will be wanting to get some Chevy S10 or Chevy Truck mold.

If a kit is a good deal, I will still be buying the Chevy truck mold additionally.

This is a vague request so dont feel afraid to recommend anything, at this point I'm very open to ideas/opinions/thoughts.

I come to this forum because, the internet has just got so many options and I've got no one but my own little self interest here.

Thank you!

Edit: I guess I missed a good point. It would help to just know a reputable source to buy from, I figure you folks have trusted source. At this point I'm so new, I'm worried I'll overpay for something cheap. Thanks again

Last edited by HurpMcDurp; 11-12-2018 at 04:34 PM.
Old 11-12-2018, 04:48 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

While I don’t own one. And have had mixed results with Arrma. For under $300 it might be a good vehicle to look into.

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/review-ar...hless-monster/

Unfortunately battery’s and Charger will put you over the $300 mark.

I am not sure about availability of different bodies for Arrma.

HurpMcDurp likes this.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:22 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you Billy for the reply, this is a decent looking model for the price.
I think it does come with the controller, I surfed there own website from that link you provided.

"Ready to run out of the box. The GRANITE 4X4 3S BLX is supplied fully built, with high quality electronics pre-installed.
Just add batteries, a charger and a LiPo charging bag and you are ready to blast.-
A high-quality 2.4Ghz radio transmitter and receiver, wheels and high-performance dBoots tires, waterproof ESC and steering servo and a pre-painted bodyshell are all included, as standard."

The batteries they refer to are the 4xAA in the receiver I'm pretty sure.
So this is a solid contender so far folks, 300 on the dot full set.

Since you obviously know almost 5000 things about RC cars lol, can I ask. If I gotten any 1/10 scale mold , should it pretty much always fit a 1/10 frame/wheels with light trimming? Seeing these things I almost consider a rad looking 60's Mustang or Camaro on the Truck frame.
Old 11-12-2018, 05:46 PM
Tech Prophet

All RTR will come with a controller. There used to be “ Bind and drive” from some brands. You would then provide your own controller. They went away about 6 years ago. There is a brand, Losi, that recently announced a few vehicles will be offered this way.

To my knowledge, no brands include Lipo for vehicle anymore. It’s possible that some the off brands might. But haven’t looked in awhile. Some seller, actual stores and online sellers may offer package deals with batteries and chargers. Some can be good deals. Some not so.

Unfortunately not all 1/10 bodies fit all vehicles. It may be possible to make them work. But they may not look quite right. Depends on how much “perfect” means to each person. Unfortunately 1/10 car bodies are usually smaller then a 1/10 truck. Body would look odd. Now it’s over your listed budget. But Hpi has a 1/8 Savage that did have a few car bodies. But that truck starts around $700. Quickly becoming a $1,000 investment.

From that same link. They are trying to make another body fit. It’s a Ford body.

https://www.bigsquidrc.com/monster-t...cussion-plans/

There’s a wide range of prices for Lipo batteries. And chargers.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:29 PM
Tech Rookie

Ah I understand, I misunderstood. Makes sense sending batteries internationally is a pain now unless your in the business.

Thanks for the 1/10th note, I looked at some and thought it didn't seem proportional. I think the wheels on a 1/10 truck are really more so like a 1/6 or 1/7th truck. For the price of the molds I might try something fun if I smash my 1/10 truck molds. I watched one video a guy had a brand new cab truck mold and the cab corner rear cracked in one crash.

Shoot I'll be looking for some cheaper end stuff for now from the 1k category lol, my IRL truck was 4k.

Thanks for the notes tonight, Ill be surfing this site more so in the next few days, just found ya'll
Old 11-12-2018, 07:52 PM
Tech Prophet

Oh breaking bodies is just part of the hobby. I’m on a break from off road. But when I did buy a new off road vehicle one of the first things I did was go scrape up the body with a bad landing or a roof slide. Just to get it out of the way. Bodies are basically disposable.

I think even shipping inside the States has become more difficult when Lipo are involved. That phone thing couple years back out the airlines on alert. And remember the truck will run on 2s. 3s is more power. But with more power comes better chance of crashing, especially when learning. And while 40mph + sounds great. I’ve found that most of my driving is done between 25-40mph.
As much as I wish I didn’t have to, I usually warn people getting into the hobby to expect to spend around $500. There was a time when I couldn’t imagine owning a $1,000 vehicle. I’ve now got probably 15 that are in that area. Could be more. I’ve lost count of how many I’ve owned, or currently own. I stopped counting after I passed the 100 mark. That’s from 1/28 to 1/5 scale.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:49 AM
Tech Rookie

Holy smokes that is a ton of investment lol. You could open a you tube channel introducing one every few weeks and have content for a year. What are you racing now if not trucks? Is there a size/model rating that is the most common to see at races?
Honestly I dont want to go too fast, I would prefer to take to some crawling ( something I could get away with inside )
And from the sounds of it, I'll be going to at least the 500$ mark, not all at once but though.

I've searched the site a bit is there a link with local tracks? Trying to find what might be in my area
Also if I made the vehicle part by part, is there a good site with fair prices?

sorry for the 100 questions, no rush on this thread
Old 11-13-2018, 06:09 AM
Tech Prophet

6amRC on YouTube is where my videos can be found. I didn’t know about the channel thing till after a few years of posting videos.

I’ve become mostly a touring car, on road driver. I’ve still got all my off road vehicles. But not a lot of decent spots in my suburbs. Easier to find good pavement then dirt.

2 years ago I stepped into on road racing. F1, VTA ( 60’s early 70’s bodies), USGT( modern car bodies), 17.5 Touring car. And recently small scale MiniZ racing. I’m not fast but consistent. And improving. Having fun with it. Racing is only a small percentage of my driving. I’d like to do it more. But currently can’t. So I’m a crazy person out in the cold during winter. A lovely 19 degrees to start the day

Never tried any off road style racing. And the crawling/scale truck thing looks great. But has yet to pull me in. Unfortunately they paved all the forest preserve trails years back to allow use by bicycle and walkers. If I were to buy a trail truck, I’d look at the Carisma Coyote, or one the version of it. Smaller brand. But has done some impressive testing with box stock RTR. Even now have a mini 1/24 sized for indoor.

I know people are mixed on using Facebook. But might be better way to find tracks or events in your area. I’m south of Chicago. I’m pretty sure there is scale monster truck group in Michigan. Trigger Kings.
Old 11-13-2018, 08:43 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

traxxas options really help with entry also check out the for sale section forum here
Old 11-13-2018, 09:46 AM
Tech Elite

id also recommend a traxxas rc.. go with the 2wd slash.. radio has a training mode all you need is AA for remote.. best bet under 300 and you can buy parts when you break,,in flint id check the Riders or Hobby lobby..
Rider's Hobby Shop2061 Linden Rd, Flint, MI 48532
Old 11-13-2018, 02:08 PM
Tech Rookie

Alright guys thanks for the help so far, I'll keep replying and posting anything I cross and see what ya'll think of the deal/vehicle

@Billy Kelly
Lol well damn what do I win for a good guess like that haha. I'll watch a few tonight when I veg out and THUMBS UP SCBRIIIIBBE AND SMASH THAT BELL TO HELL. A crawler I think would be good so you can be rewarded for a good drive inside your home with a few books and such. I feel if I aim for racing or speed, I wont be sufficed with what I have and will want faster/better, the crawler will help my wallet, or a truck to puts in nothing to race.
Those vintage Muscle races look like fun though, I'll have to check out your videos for some. Thanks for the Trigger Kings plug, at least I'll get a contact from them for the area. I don't have a facebook so its hard to check there site, maybe I'll use my girlfriends. My sister lives in Chicago, shes like north town area in the thick of it, been out by herself for 5 years coming up she likes it.

@Rckstar759
Thank you, I keep hearing that about Traxxas, it was the only brand I recognized from a non RC perspective.

@the rc guy
Ryders is still a great place, I've been there a dozen of times. They have the small town scales with trains for free display up front. I'll swing in there I suppose, there prices are always super high but It would be a good local plug for information.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:40 PM
Tech Prophet

I was wrong about Trigger Kings. They out of Missouri, near St.Louis. I know there is some club in Michigan that also runs their style. I’ll keep looking.

Your first rc you gonna want to be versatile. Able to work for different things. I’d never suggest a crawler. While it’s looks great. I think for most that 12mph top speed will be deal breaker.

Racing is a whole different animal. For that need to know what class or classes to determine which vehicle. 4 wheel drive buggy might be choice in some places, but barely run in others. Think 2 wheel buggy is the choice at the carpet track outside Chicago. I haven’t been there enuff to really say.

Nice thing with touring cars is you can run same chassis with multiple bodies. Or tire combination and completely change the car.

You can start to see why so many of us end up owning multiple vehicles.

Yeah. Traxxas. Most popular and most hated at same time. Biggest aftermarket support of probably any brand. Lots of parts are interchangeable from vehicle to vehicle. You’ll find a wide range of options on them. Being more race focused here, it’s not hard to find the negative. As Traxxas and RC racing typically don’t mix. Though there are a number of Slash based sportsman class around the country.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Slash hooked both of my kids and it held up to them learning and was easy on my wallet w broken parts while they learned. We still have them except now they go camping w us and become entertainment since the kids have moved on to 1/10 buggies
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:21 PM
Tech Prophet

https://www.facebook.com/michiganmonstersofrc/

Might have been this group. Videos look familiar
Old 11-14-2018, 02:37 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you Billy that 2nd group seems like the right stuff. I hadn't even been able to look at the first no worries.
I feel what you mean about Traxxas, its definitely that entry level "walmart" generic but good enough kinda brand.
I'm pretty sure I'll be breaking my budge now learning some more. Maybe 500...

My links are not permitted yet I'm too new so below is a description of the 3 I've been interested in

Here is the only New in box I am liking so far
The Stampede 4x4 for 399 with a better stability controller

Here is a neat Gas converted to electric locally that I kinda like.
If you go to cragilist and search Flint MI for "RC" there is a purple painted truck that was a gas powered made electric that looks very nice for 400.

And here is a curious one, for 80$ its a gas powered but hasnt been turned on in a few years. ( this might be a fun tinker for the price, but I dont see anyone owning gas powered, is it a dying platform too expensive?
Same if you search Flint Craigslist for "RC" you will see a 80$ gas powered yellow dune buggy.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.