Search
Like Tree5Likes

First real interest with RC Trucks

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 03:11 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Originally Posted by HurpMcDurp
Thank you Billy that 2nd group seems like the right stuff. I hadn't even been able to look at the first no worries.
I feel what you mean about Traxxas, its definitely that entry level "walmart" generic but good enough kinda brand.
I'm pretty sure I'll be breaking my budge now learning some more. Maybe 500...

My links are not permitted yet I'm too new so below is a description of the 3 I've been interested in

Here is the only New in box I am liking so far
The Stampede 4x4 for 399 with a better stability controller

Here is a neat Gas converted to electric locally that I kinda like.
If you go to cragilist and search Flint MI for "RC" there is a purple painted truck that was a gas powered made electric that looks very nice for 400.

And here is a curious one, for 80$ its a gas powered but hasnt been turned on in a few years. ( this might be a fun tinker for the price, but I dont see anyone owning gas powered, is it a dying platform too expensive?
Same if you search Flint Craigslist for "RC" you will see a 80$ gas powered yellow dune buggy.
I’ve owned around 30 vehicles from Traxxas. I’m more on the positive side for them. I do see and understand the other side. But that a whole big discussion.

I was taught early on to be very careful about buying used fuel( nitro) vehicles. There are two types of nitro owners. Those that do maintenance. And those that don’t. They buy it for the noise factor. But soon learn there’s are lot more involved. Then one day it doesn’t start. So it sits. Then it’s a year or two later and now it’s time to sell. So they post it as “ ran great. Needs some work. Just don’t have time”. Or something like that. My local HobbyTown gets between 75-100 in every spring from owners that just put in on the shelf over winter.

I’ve only owned a couple nitro. Found out quick that in my suburban area. It’s was a no go. I’m not against them, I’ve just found that electric works better for me.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:06 AM
Tech Rookie

Billy I really appreciate your help here, clearly an experienced driver. You have swayed my look out on Traxxas I respect them more, they deserve it for likely keeping the hobby mainstream enough through the 90s or 80s from what I gather.

I have made a decision
Redcat Black out xte PRO for 220$ at a local shop here in MI , Larrys RC

Pro model has a solid set of upgrades and over all its a solid RTR first buy IMO. Other noobs like myself might want to look at this one, its 230 online atm for a SALE, I called the manufacture but they dont know how long the sale will go , maybe until cyber monday.

Ill update here later on with some feedback with the machine, Im getting it today. A few days later Ill have some fun pros cons and thoughts,

Thank you
Old 11-16-2018, 11:40 AM
Tech Elite

Hurp if your going to Larrys.. they have a showcase in entrance of store where they sell used rc… most rtr..
Old 11-16-2018, 11:48 AM
Tech Prophet

Redcat and sales. They seem to do that often. Show day special prices.

Would not be on my list of choices.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:45 PM
Tech Rookie

UPDATE!

I did not buy the RedCAT, I went to a shop in person and its clear to me that the RedCat was just to small even at 1/10 and too. For a 140$ more at a total of 360, I got
GRANITE 4X4 3S BLX , with a 5000Mah Lipo 2s and a smart charger that can store my lipo safely. The GRANITE 4X4 3S BLX alone was 250 I got on a early black friday deal ( 20 bucks off regular ) SO lot of changes fast.

GRANITE 4X4 3S BLX...alright folks give me a few days and Ill report what I like and dont like etc, Im not hyper critical I expect to love this thing or anything I'd went with.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:54 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by HurpMcDurp
UPDATE!

I did not buy the RedCAT, I went to a shop in person and its clear to me that the RedCat was just to small even at 1/10 and too. For a 140$ more at a total of 360, I got
GRANITE 4X4 3S BLX , with a 5000Mah Lipo 2s and a smart charger that can store my lipo safely. The GRANITE 4X4 3S BLX alone was 250 I got on a early black friday deal ( 20 bucks off regular ) SO lot of changes fast.

GRANITE 4X4 3S BLX...alright folks give me a few days and Ill report what I like and dont like etc, Im not hyper critical I expect to love this thing or anything I'd went with.
I think you’ll be much better off in long run. I think I mentioned before that there are 2 separate parts to Redcat. Team Redcat has made a lot of improvements over the years. The regular Redcat are generic RC vehicles that are sold under different names depending on what part of the world.

Have a blast. Avoid hitting things. It’s amazing how trees, curbs, light post tend to pop up out of nowhere when learning
freaksofnature likes this.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:04 AM
Tech Rookie

Ok here we are about a week later. I regret nothing but having waited this long to look into RC cars.

I bought the
Arrma Granite BLX Brush-less model - 260
Gens Ace 2S 7.4V 5000mAh LiPo Battery Pack -37
Passport P1 Mini for a charger - 45
A total of 360 usd with tax

Now for anyone new dont buy online. Go into a hobby store and look at several models in person. This caused me to spend an extra 100 usd I wouldn't have at first with a RedCat cheaper model but surely would've over time with parts. Seeing the Redcat along side this Arrma Granite I went with was an easy choice for me. The Arrma model was much much beefier, with what I've done with this I know the Redcat would've broke. I've visited a local track now twice with jumps, its a hard packed clay track. I'll post pictures sometime in a thread with my car. So if you are new and never bought an RC, go into a store before you commit to an online order.

Honestly anyone knew who wants to go at least 30 mph quick and not be too fearful of it breaking. This Granite BLX is pretty spot on. Its not as costly as other top end 400-500 2S/3S. But it should keep up , not that this is a racer , its not super stanced around corners you can tell its made to jump and adventure off road. Dont get me wrong it will do 31 MPH, that is what my phone said after I strapped it to my RC and put on the GPS and prayed it stayed zipped tied down lol. 31 was the most I've recorded yet it was very cold about 30 Fahrenheit for that 31 Mph.

One issue I had though. My one shock was leaking fluid from the main O-ring at the base of the whole deal..I don't know the technical term but the main plug for this unique plastic shock, that is serviceable! Replaced the O-ring for 2usd and off I was again no problem.

THE BEST PART though is the man at Larrys RC that helped my with my purchase. He lead me through the whole process. I wanted the RedCat he shown me the Granite. - free huge schpeeal on several models passionately
My Lipo choice would not have worked so he soldered on the adapter I would need - free
He gave me a ententor to the data wire to my lipo so I wouldnt need to take the battery out each charge - free 6 usd wire he couldve sold he just gave me from the shelf
He taught me the importance of the nicer charger so I could "store" my lipos when now in use or drain the excess charge to keep them well kept - free knowledge I never would've considered and had poor lipo's

The guy was clearly into the hobby and didn't consider this no job but a career. So go into a store and talk with people they have so much knowledge and will steer you right to vehicle you need. And thank you also folks in this thread, what a ways my ignorant brain has come lol.
Billy Kelly likes this.
Old 11-20-2018, 10:19 AM
Tech Prophet

Consider your self lucky to have a good hobby store. You would be amazed by how many here have never step foot in one. Because they don’t have one within 100 miles or more. I was lucky to have a good HobbyTown,that was owned and at the time, staffed by people that had been in the hobby for years. Where too many are staffed by people that are just learning as they go. They focus on selling simple, profitable vehicles.