Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jowers
  • 1 Post By TheBeas

gearing vs slipper clutch

Old 10-22-2018, 06:26 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default gearing vs slipper clutch

I recently changed the motor, esc and gearing on my SC10 to a much smaller ratio to run a local indoor, carpet track. Now, it seems the slipper clutch isn't allowing the gears to engage as quickly as they should. In fact, it sometimes takes 2-3 pulls of the trigger to get it to take off from a dead stop.

I've tried adjusting the slipper from one extreme to the other and everything in between.

Any suggestions on what I need to do to make it right?
Old 10-22-2018, 10:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TheBeas View Post
I recently changed the motor, esc and gearing on my SC10 to a much smaller ratio to run a local indoor, carpet track. Now, it seems the slipper clutch isn't allowing the gears to engage as quickly as they should. In fact, it sometimes takes 2-3 pulls of the trigger to get it to take off from a dead stop.

I've tried adjusting the slipper from one extreme to the other and everything in between.

Any suggestions on what I need to do to make it right?
if the slipper is clamped down and youre still slipping, i would look at the idler gear or differential for damage, unless you are that far undergeared it just feels that way. Or maybe the sensor wire if you have one.
Rustytruck likes this.
Old 10-27-2018, 12:51 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Very good guesses, if I say so myself.

I was running a sensored motor with a non-sensored ESC. It was explained to me that what I was experiencing was "cogging." I'd heard the term before, but I had no idea what it was or what would cause it. Now I do.

The tech at the shop put a sensored ESC on the truck, wired it up, and ... wow, what a difference!

I thought I'd done something stupid with the slipper when reassembling things, but it appears I did it right after all. I just didn't have the right knowledge when I purchased a very Castle Creations ESC. Now I know.
Rustytruck likes this.