Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By JCG1
  • 1 Post By Backyard RC
  • 1 Post By DirkW

Parking lot solo RC

Old 08-27-2018, 02:47 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Parking lot solo RC

Fairly new to R/C. I had a Tamiya Hornet in the late 80's but then got out of it until recently.

Here's my issue... I know I'd like to get some sort of 1/10 scale electric car but I don't know what type. My primary intended use is for running on the street or in parking lots on my lunch hour. There's a large church nearby and I work from home so I can easily head over there and have about 40-45 minutes of running time before I head back to work - probably one or two times per week? I may be able to occasionally run on weekends too with my 7 year old son who is fairly steering-impaired We recently picked up a Redcat Cyclone 2WD buggy that we share but I'd like to get something nicer for daddy too.

There aren't any tracks near here (closest is a store with a fairly small off-road track an hour away), so there are no competitions or better places to run. I have to assume I'm going to be running by myself, even on weekends, etc... Competition seems to be much more expensive anyway though.

With that in mind, I'm wondering what sort of car is basically "the most fun" to screw around in a parking lot by yourself. I realize it's probably somewhat objective but given that a decent car starts around $300 I'm trying to lower my odds of making the wrong choice. It would be a lot easier if I could try out several different types of cars but I don't think I have that opportunity.

I'm considering (but open to suggestions):
1. A monster truck. Able to run in the widest variety of conditions, do jumps, etc... Parking lots aren't its native environment though. If I got one it would probably be the upcoming ARRMA Granite BLX.
2. On-road touring car. Should be able to zoom around really well, but without racing I'm not sure if it's as much "fun". Here I'd likely get an HPI RS4.
3. On-road drift car. The most different of the options I think, and it seems like something that could be solo oriented. Throw out some cones to define a course and just have fun sliding around. Seems to require significantly less room and less repairs than touring. If I go this way I'm looking at the MST RMX 2.0. It seems like you can put normal tires on a drift car and use it as an ad-hoc touring car, but not as much the other way around (using a TC as a drifter).

What do you guys think? What would you pick if you were just going to run alone all the time? I have a competitive streak (I guess I could try racing myself for lap times), I enjoy tuning and optimizing, and I like learning & practicing new skills.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:34 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dboeren View Post
Fairly new to R/C. I had a Tamiya Hornet in the late 80's but then got out of it until recently.

Here's my issue... I know I'd like to get some sort of 1/10 scale electric car but I don't know what type. My primary intended use is for running on the street or in parking lots on my lunch hour. There's a large church nearby and I work from home so I can easily head over there and have about 40-45 minutes of running time before I head back to work - probably one or two times per week? I may be able to occasionally run on weekends too with my 7 year old son who is fairly steering-impaired We recently picked up a Redcat Cyclone 2WD buggy that we share but I'd like to get something nicer for daddy too.

There aren't any tracks near here (closest is a store with a fairly small off-road track an hour away), so there are no competitions or better places to run. I have to assume I'm going to be running by myself, even on weekends, etc... Competition seems to be much more expensive anyway though.

With that in mind, I'm wondering what sort of car is basically "the most fun" to screw around in a parking lot by yourself. I realize it's probably somewhat objective but given that a decent car starts around $300 I'm trying to lower my odds of making the wrong choice. It would be a lot easier if I could try out several different types of cars but I don't think I have that opportunity.

I'm considering (but open to suggestions):
1. A monster truck. Able to run in the widest variety of conditions, do jumps, etc... Parking lots aren't its native environment though. If I got one it would probably be the upcoming ARRMA Granite BLX.
2. On-road touring car. Should be able to zoom around really well, but without racing I'm not sure if it's as much "fun". Here I'd likely get an HPI RS4.
3. On-road drift car. The most different of the options I think, and it seems like something that could be solo oriented. Throw out some cones to define a course and just have fun sliding around. Seems to require significantly less room and less repairs than touring. If I go this way I'm looking at the MST RMX 2.0. It seems like you can put normal tires on a drift car and use it as an ad-hoc touring car, but not as much the other way around (using a TC as a drifter).

What do you guys think? What would you pick if you were just going to run alone all the time? I have a competitive streak (I guess I could try racing myself for lap times), I enjoy tuning and optimizing, and I like learning & practicing new skills.
Some thoughts as it relates to yours...
1) MT's tend to roll over (a lot) on asphalt of any kind.
2) Often require a more prepared surface, i.e. a lot of stones/etc. in a parking lot can make them less fun than they should be in a hurry
3) You're on the right track with your thoughts about drifting as a solo RC activity - drift cars are "slow" and can be a lot of fun in a very small space but in you are backwards on one point. You can just put drift tires on any TC and have a fun drift car but with the odd suspension geometries, higher CoG's and odd motor placements of most drift cars, putting TC tires on them makes for an unwieldy "grip" car.

My suggestion for your price range and what you want to do is something like the Traxxas Bandit. It won't roll as much on asphalt as a larger truck, can still take jumps and go as fast as the cars on the highway going past your parking lot. Add some street tires like these and you're set. Plus, with it being a Traxxas, if you want to tinker and tune, that means there is a nearly endless supply of option parts out there
Old 08-29-2018, 04:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Team Associated tc4 club racer, shaft drive so no worries about small rocks taking out belts and pulleys.....just my 2 cents.
Old 08-29-2018, 04:46 PM
Tech Prophet

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I spend about 1/2 hour or every morning before work. For past couple years it’s been touring cars.

some mornings it’ small scale

I don’t drift much anymore. Don’t need much space either. Learning to drift has had the biggest impact on my overall driving. Learn quite a bit about using throttle and brakes. Before I learned drifting. I’d just whip around parking lots randomly. Or get a speed run. While it’s fun, it can get old after awhile

Old 08-29-2018, 06:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

delete

Last edited by Tamiyadan; 04-17-2019 at 09:11 AM.
Old 08-29-2018, 07:42 PM
JC3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Definitely a buggy as suggested above. All terrain vehicle but still handles reasonably well and can go plenty fast to be exciting.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:40 PM
Tech Initiate

We already have the Redcat Cyclone 2wd buggy though...

Anyway, I ended up going with a drift car using the 15% off eBay sale the other day.
Old 08-31-2018, 10:58 AM
KMN
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

I'd likely go with the MT in this situation.

I have MT's that won't roll on asphalt, and it's four shock eyes away from going off road again.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:52 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Honestly, go for an MT or Truggy. Can't believe this isn't suggested, but get a Losi 8ight T rtr and do whatever upgrades/changes you please. So versatile and a bada$$ RTR. Unfortunately, this means spending an extra 100$ over your budget, but it will be ABSOLUTELY worth it in the end. Buying Traxxas, I guarantee you will have $100 in replaced parts within the first 6-8 months. Get the Losi, don't look back. Best of luck.
Old 09-02-2018, 09:04 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (83%+)

I suggest you consider something different from wha has been discussed: Rally Car, for the following reasons:

1) Works great in asphalt and even drift a little as part of the rally "theme"
2) Are 4WD
3) No concerns over rock chips or uneven asphalt
4) Can handle small jumps
5) Gives you the flexibility to take it off road

I summary, it provides a great middle ground between Touring Car and Monster Truck.
Old 09-03-2018, 06:23 PM
Tech Master

I second a Rally car if it's 1/8 scale. You can make a 1/10 SCT or a 1/8 buggy into a 1/8 rally and it will be both very fast and very capable. The smaller cars still have problems with rocks and cracks.
Parma makes some good body options as well as Delta Plastiks.
Sir 51D3WAYS likes this.
Old 09-04-2018, 02:02 AM
Tech Champion

I'd like to third the rally car suggestion as well.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If parking lot is smooth, I used to enjoy 1/10 pan cars the most. Direct drive cars are so quick and challenging to drive and that kept me excited driving solo.

Touring cars, monster trucks, off-road buggies feel like I'm driving a bus compared to a direct drive pan car
Old 11-24-2021, 09:31 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default Rally/Touring

Tamiya TT02 if you plan to stay on the asphalt. A simple google search will give you a laundry list of reasons im right... from parts availability, to tuning options, upgrades, and available styles/bodies/setup options.

if you have ANY desire to go offroad, then a 4wd Slash VXL is the best option by FAR, and again, a quick Google search will show you that is BY FAR the most widely held opinion on this subject.
Old 11-24-2021, 10:49 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I'd hope that after more than three years, the OP has solved this question by now...
Mahjik likes this.