Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
help choosing cheap esc and motor >

help choosing cheap esc and motor

help choosing cheap esc and motor

Old 08-02-2018, 06:43 AM
Tech Rookie

Exclamation help choosing cheap esc and motor

Hello everyone.

I think I fried my esc (and maybe brushless motor), so I need new ones.
I have trackstar ts-4g controller (and receiver) and trackstar D99x servo and they all work ok.

What would be noob friendly option for cheap esc and brushed/brushless motor? I just want something simple and cheap so I can start driving my Sakura d4 rwd drifter. I have turnigy 5000mAh, 2 cell 7,4V 60c battery.

When I get used to RC car-electronics maybe I can buy better/more expensive parts later.

Thanx in advance"
Old 08-02-2018, 09:15 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

The SkyRC 10.5 and 60amp esc are a great combo. They run about $60 on ebay. I ran an 8.5T version in a TLR 22 3.0 for about a year and it worked great. Had to keep the timing low to keep the esc from thermaling but if you are using it in a touring car i think you will be ok.

Another option is the Hobbywing EZrun setups which run around $90-100 and can be found on amain. The 10.5 setup is very nice and extremely easy to program if you buy the program card.
Old 08-02-2018, 11:58 PM
Tech Adept

What turn/kv motor are you wanting? I have run Trackstar turbo 80a ESC and 17.5T motors in my buggies for over a year and they haven't missed a beat. A bit slower than the expenisve gear but worked for me to start out. The ESC runs down to 10.5T motors and is programmable with the program card. Its about USD$75 from hobbyking for a motor and ESC.
Old 08-03-2018, 07:02 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks guys. Are there any cheaper versions for my drifter?

Just wanted to buy some extra parts if i break an item.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:42 AM
Tech Addict

There are some "blue" ESCs and sensored motors out there that are, what I call, $uper Low Budget ($LB).The stuff I'm talking about is basically no-name items. $15 ESC, $15 10.5T motor, $8 programming box, $7 sensor cable. If you want links to items I'm referring to, PM me. Be warned, quality control of $LB components are hit or miss sometimes. I understand the need for keeping costs down. When I want to be sure of quality electronics, I'll pay the price and choose to go with Hobbywing gear most of the time.