Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Decent brushless esc and motor for slash? >

Decent brushless esc and motor for slash?

Decent brushless esc and motor for slash?

Old 07-15-2018, 12:21 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Decent brushless esc and motor for slash?

want to beef up my slash a little more. Currently running with velineon 3500. It ok but I wanna see what else is out there. 2s-6s capable would be nice. Sensored or sensor less? Brands and models? Mostly casual bashing/driving but I want real power.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:54 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hobbywing max10 sct combo with 4000kv motor. Will give you plenty of power in 2s and be insane on 3s.
Old 07-15-2018, 01:17 PM
Tech Initiate

I was looking into hobbywing. Looks like there's sensored and sensorless models for max 10. I think I wanna try my hand at sensored but I have zero experience with them. Dose it make that much difference?
Old 07-16-2018, 01:58 PM
Tech Initiate

I see. It's not sensored just need a card to program esc.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:43 PM
Tech Addict

Your 3500 Velineon can handle 3s and that's a good way to bump up your power. Keep in mind that with more power your drive line will start to become the weak link. Traxxas axles work pretty good on 2s but start to break on 3s, from my experience. Running in loose dirt helps as well as keeping off the throttle as you land a jump.
You can also change the pinion gear to get more speed but you'll need to keep an eye on the motor and esc temps. An infrared temperature gauge is a must have in rc.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:02 AM
Tech Initiate

I've been running 3s with velineon for a while. I also have and use ir temp gun. Ive looked into the max 10 4000kv, I'm actually looking into the mamba x 3800kv now. Never had a sensored setup but I'm very intrigued. Just hope my wife dosnt kill me for spending another $200. And if she dosnt she might kill me if my car is faster than hers lol.
Old 07-25-2018, 12:59 AM
Tech Rookie

BL Motors 3900KV
Old 07-26-2018, 10:57 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Castle 3800 and Mamba X and run it in sensored mode. Smoother throttle and brake inputs from a sensored motor and esc. The esc gets information from the sensor port that tells where the rotor is in the can and allows the esc to pulse the motor more efficiently to ensure smoother output of power.

I run the Castle 4600kv 4 pole in my Slash 2wd with a Sidewinder V3 esc (sensorless) and its just about perfect. The 3800kv 1410 motor has a bit more torque than the 1406 motor.

Another upgrade you will want to look into is a sealed differential. I run the Hot Racing version with 3000-5000 weight oil and it really helps the truck from unloading the diff during corners. It slows the diff action down so that it can help put down power equally across the driveline but without locking it.
Old 07-28-2018, 06:39 PM
Tech Initiate

Thanks for all the suggestions. I was looking on line for a new combo and then I came across a slash 4x4 vxl for $200 so I scooped that up instead. Pretty glad I did. With the gearing that's installed and on 3s that was the extra bit of power I needed. Certainly the fastest car I have ever driven 8) Needed a little work, stripped screws, broken bumpers, bent shock rods stripped servo horn but it's fixed and it's a beast. Painting the body right now, candy apple red and black.

I will be getting the mamba x 3800kv in the future. Possibly for the 4x4 lol.
Old 07-29-2018, 12:13 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Big fan of ten shock motors. I have a lot of them, mostly attached to castle escs.