Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By JC3
  • 2 Post By Billy Kelly
  • 1 Post By jtown82

Tc7 toe block dot explained?

Old 06-30-2018, 10:17 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Tc7 toe block dot explained?

I feel dumb that I can't grasp what I'm looking at here. Do you add and subtract left to right depending on how the dots are oriented? This should be simple but my brain is not processing it from the instructions in the manual.

thanks in advance guys
Old 07-13-2018, 05:43 AM
JC3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jtown82 View Post
I feel dumb that I can't grasp what I'm looking at here. Do you add and subtract left to right depending on how the dots are oriented? This should be simple but my brain is not processing it from the instructions in the manual.

thanks in advance guys
Don't feel bad, it's very confusing for me too! I think that the belt tension is even more confusing though. lol I'm a new TC7.1 user myself and I'm still struggling with it. I'll give you my take on how the insert system works and hopefully it will help more than it hurts.

One thing that I think gets left out of the manual is that the car is set up for 3 degrees of toe in when you build it. So, in the rear, with the 1 dot inserts inner and outer, you have 3 degrees of toe in. That's the starting point.

If you wanted to make the rear toe 2.5 degrees, you would put +2 dot inserts facing out in the rear inner mounts. You are moving the inner mounts outward 1/2 a degree. So, you'd have the 1 dot inserts in the outer one piece mount and +2 dot inserts facing out in the inner mounts for 2.5 degrees of toe in.

Then of course, there are all of the other combinations in between. This means that you can not only adjust toe but track width as well if you're adventurous.

I have found that an inexpensive setup station helps resolve the mystery of the inserts. If you don't have one just trace the arms out on a piece of paper and compare them as you experiment and change around the inserts.

Visit the TC7 and TC7.1 threads for more info. Honestly, I've been surprised at how little discussion there has been on this and on the belt tensioning. Apparently, I'm the only rookie that has been struggling with it. It's best to just experiment and play around with it to learn.

jtown82 likes this.

Last edited by JC3; 07-13-2018 at 06:15 AM.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:31 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Good point there JC3. Just aren’t enuff new racers to have these kinds of basic discussions. And I a lot of cases. Experienced driver will try to help, but in a lot of cases they almost forgotten what it was like to be new.

FDR(final drive ratio). That was a year long struggle to get the group to understand what I was seeing. They were great about suggesting what ratio to try. But didn’t understand when I’d ask about what combination to use. Look at a gearing chart. In some cases there are 10-20 different combinations that will give similar FDR.

My suggestion is once car is assembled and ready to run. Don’t get caught up making adjustment constantly. My rule is a minimum of 10 runs between any adjustment. Gives plenty of time for driver to learn if the changes helped.
jtown82 and JC3 like this.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:20 PM
JC3
Tech Addict

The guy that wrote the RC Crew Chief software came up with an excellent graphic representation of how the inserts affect toe/width. I'll try and find it since IMO it's the best way to look at it.
Old 07-13-2018, 06:23 PM
JC3
Tech Addict

Here's another way to look at it. Start at 5:34 and end at around 7:34.

Last edited by JC3; 07-13-2018 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:33 PM
Tech Rookie

Thank you so much, I think it finally sunk in how t
you explained it. What's crazy about this is I bought this car from the rccrewchief himself LOL. I should have asked him but I guess it's harder to ask for help in person,easier to look daft online than face to face I suppose
JC3 likes this.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:58 PM
JC3
Tech Addict

I really like this even though it's not Associated.

ARC Suspension Blocks