Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
which buggy, stadium truck or monster truck to buy > which buggy, stadium truck or monster truck to buy

which buggy, stadium truck or monster truck to buy

Old 02-12-2006, 07:38 PM
Tech Rookie

Default which buggy, stadium truck or monster truck to buy

im new to the whole rc thing and just had some questions. i have decided that to start out with i am going to go with a electric RTR kit. what i have not decided on is which company to purchase my vehicle from. what are some suggestions. ive been stuck between duratrax and traxxas. also could someone please explain the amount of turns that a motor has. i see lots of adds for a 16, 8, 20, etc, etc turn motor. thanks for the help.

Peter
Old 02-12-2006, 08:27 PM
Tech Adept

Motors go like this:

Lower turns = more speed

Higher turns = less speed, more torque

I recently (wednesday) got a traxxas stampede. It's awesome, built well etc. and for relatively cheap. I don't know exactly what your looking for, but this is a cool 2wd truck.
I don't know much about duratrax, so I can't help you there. I also don't know if your looking for raceability.

Anyways, hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

First off how much money do you want to spend? I could always recommend a RC/10 B4 high end but that seems a bit much for you. However I think there is an associated B4 that's an RTR. Also Losi has some good offerings for RTR as well. Both make killer buggies and parts are plentiful.

I'm not familiar with Duratrax, Traxxas however is a name from back in the day. They make nice entry level stuff, if you plan on beating around the back yard or in the street with friends I'd give a traxxas a thought. If you plan on competing now or in the future I'd spend the extra money on a higher end car. The RTRs will get you a decent setup and after that you can modify the crap out of your ride.

Likewise I'll also suggest taking a look at the for sale forum. I recently found a killer deal on a TC3 and bought it. Guy was a real standup guy too, told me everything I wanted to know and supplied me with the info I needed within 24 hours every time. You might end up with a few year old model, but who cares you're a rookie and having an inexpensive starter is top priority. I've still got my RC/10 Buggy circa 1980 running strong, pretty quick too given it's age and the fact I'm still using the gold aluminum tub chasis.
Old 02-12-2006, 11:46 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Duratrax Evader

you might also want to check out the Duratrax Evader , as a starter truck it's very good and mine came with a one year guarentee against part breakage. I broke the frame on mine (doing jumps) and a steering arm . both time they replaced the parts for free. great deal if you are just learning, you can always move up once you get some experence under your belt.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:09 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks for the help. im looking at spending around 250-300. i know that there are some other RTR kits that i could look at for that price range. i just want to get my foot in the door. 250-300 is kinda a lot of money, but i would also want to put some hop-ups on what ever vehicle i get. i was looking through a Traxxas catalog and they have their RX series batteries, i was wondering if those will work with all the vehicles they sell? heres another quick question, what is a rotary speed control? i figured that it was the speed control that gives you the full power of the vehicle, instead of the XL-1 which lets you use half the throttle, is this correct? again thanks for the help and im sure ill have more questions and wont hesitate to ask when they come up. heres one more question, if get a a ESC that can, lets say handle down to 10 turns, can i get any 10 turn motor from any company?

Peter
Old 02-13-2006, 08:16 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

Are you planing to race? If so, at you local track which class have people to run with for race day? In my case, we have stock truck people at the track most weekends. Personally I would tell you T4 all the way, but I know that Losi has very good truck also. Trucks are easy to learn with, buggy this is more diffcult to learn with. Losi does a diff. issue, that Assoicate does not have a problem with the diffs.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:00 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

On hopups, there are two ways to approach this. You can get a lower priced vehicle and add to it until it's competitive. Or you can get something a bit more toward the upper end of your budget and not have to do much work and spend more money on a charger/batteries.

As my dear old dad once told me: Buy cheap buy twice. Look for reviews of your top picks, see what people have to say about'em after years of use.
Old 02-13-2006, 11:59 PM
Tech Addict

for a buggy, try a B4 or a truck T4
Old 02-16-2006, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Default Traxxas rustler

Hey my bro got a Traxxas Rustler and it is sweet if you want speed i did a 15 turn and i dont want to go any lower actually its not the rustler with a 15 its my bandit its ok but i got it used so i dont know but ive put over 200 dollars in it. After youre done with electric youd better get a gas i mean there addicting i got a Jato and its fast enough for me forever i beat my nieghbors onroad super nitro yah thats fast but id stick with electric for awhile.
Old 02-23-2006, 11:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Search the forumn and Ebay for something like the Losi MF1 stadium truck, you should be able to find one in nice shape $100 or less; it has alot of support and is awesome for racing and/or bashing. i found one for about 85 bux, threw some running gear in it (plus a 11x2 mod motor I bought for 20 dollars) and it is a complete blast to run . Losi and AE are your best bets for trucks you can bash and race. IF you get one try going to the local softball field and letting it rip, they are alot of fun
Old 02-24-2006, 07:52 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by rc_newbie_21
i was looking through a Traxxas catalog and they have their RX series batteries, i was wondering if those will work with all the vehicles they sell? heres another quick question, what is a rotary speed control? i figured that it was the speed control that gives you the full power of the vehicle, instead of the XL-1 which lets you use half the throttle, is this correct? again thanks for the help and im sure ill have more questions and wont hesitate to ask when they come up. heres one more question, if get a a ESC that can, lets say handle down to 10 turns, can i get any 10 turn motor from any company?

Peter
I would stay away from the rotary speed control. It is a mechanical speed control and is old technology. The XL-1 is an electronic speed control (ESC) and will be much more efficient. You can use a motor from any company providing your esc can handle the winds as you said.

Good Luck!
-Darrel
Old 02-27-2006, 06:48 PM
Tech Rookie

First, i would suggest getting an AE RTR kit instead of a duratrax or traxxas, nothing against the companies but an AE or Losi truck will be better in the long run.

As for just a truck, i definitly would recomend finding a gently used factory team t4. You can find some for under $100 with some parts. Pretty good deal. But it is your call, but i would go quality over cheapness because it will save money for the ever changing batteries and motors. Thats my $.02