Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Entry level F1 for black carpet? >

Entry level F1 for black carpet?

Like Tree11Likes

Entry level F1 for black carpet?

Old 04-18-2018, 12:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Entry level F1 for black carpet?

I'm thinking about getting into F1, but know nothing on pan cars or open wheel cars.
Whats a good entry level car that wont brake the bank? Looking at new or used.
We run on black carpet with high traction. Local class is 25.5t motors.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:58 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Well the best "bang for your buck" in a new kit would be the VBC FX18. You can get the kit shipped to your door from China for $225.00. But I'd look for any of the good F-1 cars used on RC Tech. There's Associated F6--the Xray -- or Roche cars that are ALL good. Then get your setup right and have fun!! Or---go down to the local track you'll be racing at and see what the guys there are running and ask them!! That's your best information.
Quinny45 likes this.
Old 04-18-2018, 12:59 PM
Tech Master

Most kits are pretty pricey which leaves the new Tamiya F104 Pro II as the front runner.
Red RC ? RC Car News Tamiya F104 Pro II Formula chassis
Old 04-18-2018, 02:23 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Originally Posted by Tim Neja View Post
Well the best "bang for your buck" in a new kit would be the VBC FX18. You can get the kit shipped to your door from China for $225.00. But I'd look for any of the good F-1 cars used on RC Tech. There's Associated F6--the Xray -- or Roche cars that are ALL good. Then get your setup right and have fun!! Or---go down to the local track you'll be racing at and see what the guys there are running and ask them!! That's your best information.
x2 for VBC

the plastic quality is very good the parts are very cheap price and the car is very easy to setup

you just need 1 or 2 bags of lower arms pivot ball mount and you are all set !! ( 13$ each ! )
Old 04-18-2018, 03:23 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)

Used CRC WTF-1 FC16. Doesn't require upgrades out of the box and very cheap parts. One of the best cars on carpet too. I sold mines for around $150 and they could still be had around that price.
Old 04-18-2018, 03:29 PM
EMU
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Local support is always a plus, especially with limited knowledge of the class. Having parts available locally means a break doesn't mean packing up and waiting a week or two for parts to fix it. Additionally, being on a similar chassis allows you to share setup information with fellow racers. Although, many of the cars are so similar that the setup theories translate pretty well.

With that said, many of the cars are very similar in pace. The VBC does have excellent value. I purchased my Xray used, and like it. If I were to buy new, I would go with the VBC for budgetary reasons.

At my local track we have a vast assortment of cars being raced. Xray, WRC, Roche, Associated, VBC, CRC. All are on such similar pace that it really just boils down to tire prep and driving.
Tim Neja and Quinny45 like this.
Old 04-18-2018, 04:15 PM
Tech Addict

$80Xray, Roche, or Associated. Kyosho makes one but it is really outdated and almost never used. The Xray is my favorite because of the quality. Roche is good but hard to find parts for. The Associated is the cheapest of the three but has the most parts available. If I were you, I would get an Xray X1. Get a new kit an build it, so you know how the car fits together. Use an aluminum chassis too.
Old 04-18-2018, 05:05 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by brewkett View Post
I'm thinking about getting into F1, but know nothing on pan cars or open wheel cars.
Whats a good entry level car that wont brake the bank? Looking at new or used.
We run on black carpet with high traction. Local class is 25.5t motors.
I run mostly VTA and GT , Ive been looking to get into F1 as well , Ive been told to look at the new F103 that will be out soon , I hear it can be made a Link OR T plate car , It might be in the mid $300s
I have also been told to get a CRC by more then a few Racers I think they are in the $250 range
Old 04-18-2018, 05:34 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Roche has been killing it at big races on black carpet. Look in the Roche thread for Hanulec's setup

Any results at a big race, iic/snowbirds or nats for VBC? Just curious, I have not seen them.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:12 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Get the CRC. You won't regret it. It's pretty much undefeated at the big races here in the US lately. Right out of the box it is phenomenal. Plus the customer service is awesome, it's made in the USA, and Dumper (Brian Wynn of CRC) is happy to help with setup advice. Can't beat all that.

Mark C.

PS...I'm not sponsored by anyone. I drive what I think gives me the best chance to win. I've driven a bunch of the different top F1's and the CRC is my favorite.

Last edited by scirocco14; 04-18-2018 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-18-2018, 06:45 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

I have a WTF-1-FC16 CRC Brand new never ran with several extra parts will ship for 200.00, Pm me and I can get info form you and send many pictures, I have installed a narrowed front end and have like I said several parts...
Tim Neja likes this.
Old 04-18-2018, 07:53 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 6 (88%+)

Originally Posted by JayL View Post
Roche has been killing it at big races on black carpet. Look in the Roche thread for Hanulec's setup

Any results at a big race, iic/snowbirds or nats for VBC? Just curious, I have not seen them.

and at canadian on-road championship at welland ontario

VBC take TQ and win in front of 2 CRC drivers ( Jeffrey Dayger and Brian Wynn )
eevul likes this.

Last edited by Quinny45; 04-18-2018 at 08:05 PM.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:46 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I think the VBC FX-18 is simply the best bang for your buck IMO. As others have stated, the quality is just as good as X-Ray, Associated and Roche but what it really comes down to is local support. The VBC is no slouch either as it proved to be a very fast car in the Canadian Nationals. As Quinny45 mentioned, it was the TQ car and I think there were approximately 40 or so F1 entries. See what the others are running at your local track. Going used is not a bad idea if you can get a good deal. Again, it's all in the local track support for setup and such as well as local hobby shop support for parts.Good luck in your search!
Tim Neja likes this.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:32 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Quinny45 View Post

and at canadian on-road championship at welland ontario

VBC take TQ and win in front of 2 CRC drivers ( Jeffrey Dayger and Brian Wynn )
ETS is not black carpet, the Euro's don't run black carpet.....
Old 04-19-2018, 10:36 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

I have an xray, i love it, but i can see going crc for ease of changes to the car

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.