Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Buyer's Regret & Beginner Advice Needed - SZJJX RC Cars 1/18 4WD 12MPH+ 2.4Ghz > Buyer's Regret & Beginner Advice Needed - SZJJX RC Cars 1/18 4WD 12MPH+ 2.4Ghz
Like Tree19Likes

Buyer's Regret & Beginner Advice Needed - SZJJX RC Cars 1/18 4WD 12MPH+ 2.4Ghz

Old 01-12-2018, 05:47 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Buyer's Regret & Beginner Advice Needed - SZJJX RC Cars 1/18 4WD 12MPH+ 2.4Ghz

Friends,

** Updates in bold & red for new readers.

For my 7 year old daughter, I purchased a "SZJJX RC Cars 1/18 Scale 4WD High Speed Vehicle 12MPH+ 2.4Ghz" from Amazon. Now that we have it I regret a couple of things:

1) Battery life is about 20 minutes & then charge is 3-5 hours. Easy solution is to buy another battery but the disconnect wire is flimsy and I'm sure it won't last.
2) Model is not "hobby grade" so no or possibly hard to find upgrades or repairs later.

For details, product link: http://a.co/52DApMs

I'm completely ignorant on RC but after doing some reading I've nearly decided on this model: Traxxas Slash Pro 2WD Short-Course Truck 1/10
1) Any idea how long the charge lasts on the Ni-MH (to keep it a bit slower).
2) Is this as bomb-proof as I've read? Looks like enclosed wheels are necessary for a "basher".
3) Can we improve it later for more speed, longer battery life, etc? Sounds like there are many options for "hobby grade" products like Traxxas.

Thanks for helping out a new guy. Just about the only thing I don't need help on is the color selection .

I realize my daughter might lose interest but if she really likes it I'd rather have a platform that will last and can "grow" with her.

Thanks!

Joe

Last edited by jp_over; 01-19-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 06:17 AM
Tech Rookie

After doing a bit more reading I think I'm going to return what we have (it's new / only been in the house) and check out some enclosed wheel models to include: Traxxas Slash 2wd or Team Associated SC10.

Last edited by jp_over; 01-19-2018 at 04:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2018, 07:05 AM
Tech Fanatic

jp great idea.. i would consider maybe another style of vehicle not a grasshopper.. also a ac/dc charger like a imax 5.. the grasshopper is a 80's era rc not sure if its gears or oiles shocks have been up dated..https://www.amazon.com/SODIAL-IMAX-B...c+imax+charger
jp_over likes this.
Old 01-12-2018, 12:39 PM
Tech Apprentice

Whats your budget? (max your willing to spend). Mainly on road, off road or a little bit of both? How fast do you want it to be? Are you going to bash with it or just dirve up and down the road with it?
jp_over likes this.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:11 PM
Tech Rookie

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the responses!

rc_guy - I'll have to do some more reading. I know the grasshopper style is an old one but I assumed the kits being sold now are updated. I've also got to get educated on chargers and batteries - thanks for giving me a start!

Igottabeme - I'd like to stay close to or under $200 for everything I'll need.

I'm guessing:
1) kit
2) charger & battery pack/s
3) possibly a control unit if this doesn't come with the kit

A little bit of on and off road and perhaps a top end of 15-20 MPH. [Update: Needs to be bash proof or at least bash resistant.]

Joe

Last edited by jp_over; 01-13-2018 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:39 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I would personally steer clear of any of the cheaper Tamiya kit. They are cool to mess around with for the older guys that had them back in the day but the reality is that they don't have the drive-ability and durability of the newer style vehicles. Parts for those kits will not be found in a hobby shop so anytime something gets broke you will have to order it online and some of the parts might still be hard to find. As much as i hate to say it, Traxxas is pretty much tops for durability and parts availability and probably has the best aftermarket parts support.
jp_over likes this.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:49 PM
Tech Fanatic

a 7 year old ..sorry but that will be bashing..as for traxxas id say go in that direction the radios have a training option slide switch on the pistol grip..many on this site hate traxxas but you can go buy brokn parts at many locations in your are from wallmarts to autozone and local hobby stores..

jr reading is good.. just read the right stuff..learn about lipos.. 2.4 ghz radios.. and the over all durability of the rc you chose..
jp_over likes this.
Old 01-12-2018, 02:47 PM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by olds45512 View Post
I would personally steer clear of any of the cheaper Tamiya kit. They are cool to mess around with for the older guys that had them back in the day but the reality is that they don't have the drive-ability and durability of the newer style vehicles. Parts for those kits will not be found in a hobby shop so anytime something gets broke you will have to order it online and some of the parts might still be hard to find. As much as i hate to say it, Traxxas is pretty much tops for durability and parts availability and probably has the best aftermarket parts support.
Olds - those are great points that I didn't think about: drive-ability, parts availability, and durability. Are there any specific Traxxas models that are better for the youngster / beginner?

I also need to get some education on the main suppliers folks use.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:04 PM
Tech Fanatic

https://traxxas.com/products/showroom
jp_over likes this.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:09 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jp_over View Post
Olds - those are great points that I didn't think about: drive-ability, parts availability, and durability. Are there any specific Traxxas models that are better for the youngster / beginner?

I also need to get some education on the main suppliers folks use.
I would suggest a 2wd Slash because the body covers the wheels and will take the brunt of the abuse, open wheel cars and trucks tend to get a lot of broken a-arms and bulkheads with a younger driver. I would avoid a 4wd model because more moving parts means more maintenance and will be more expensive to repair and upgrade. Another great option would be a Team Associated sc10. Once again the body will take most of the abuse and the suspension parts will be spared. My 7yr old son has been racing his sc10 for a year now and he's yet to break a single part and he's pretty hard on it. He also has an open wheel buggy which he has broken several times which is why i heavily suggest something with enclosed wheels.
jp_over likes this.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:34 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I completely agree about the Slash, great first rig...but for $200ish, it comes with a brushed motor/nicads etc. These require maintenance, and if your daughter doesn't like it your out $200.

Just offering up another idea,
Hobby King (Chinese importer) has better "deals", this is a 1/12ths scale buggy with lipo battery and brushless motor, all for $100 (on sale right now)
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/prowler-xbl-2.html
From them you can also get extra batteries for cheap, and a faster charger. But learn about charging lipos safely.

The Slash is great, and has TONS of support you cant go wrong with it, but maybe starting off a bit cheaper in case she isnt interested would save you some money. I have a 1/10th basher buggy from them that works well, my bother/nephew have a couple of 1/8th's from them that have worked great.

Side note, on these hobby grade stuff, 20 minutes is a LONG battery life, races only last 5-7 minutes, so anything over 10 to most of us is a long battery. The way they get super long run times (2-3 hours) is by turning the motor very slow with huge batteries (C-D cells).
Old 01-12-2018, 04:01 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Rexracing View Post
I completely agree about the Slash, great first rig...but for $200ish, it comes with a brushed motor/nicads etc. These require maintenance, and if your daughter doesn't like it your out $200.

Just offering up another idea,
Hobby King (Chinese importer) has better "deals", this is a 1/12ths scale buggy with lipo battery and brushless motor, all for $100 (on sale right now)
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/prowler-xbl-2.html
From them you can also get extra batteries for cheap, and a faster charger. But learn about charging lipos safely.

The Slash is great, and has TONS of support you cant go wrong with it, but maybe starting off a bit cheaper in case she isnt interested would save you some money. I have a 1/10th basher buggy from them that works well, my bother/nephew have a couple of 1/8th's from them that have worked great.

Side note, on these hobby grade stuff, 20 minutes is a LONG battery life, races only last 5-7 minutes, so anything over 10 to most of us is a long battery. The way they get super long run times (2-3 hours) is by turning the motor very slow with huge batteries (C-D cells).
What rc car do you have that takes c or d batteries? When my son and i go running in parking lots we can get 35-45 minutes out of a 4400mah lipo running a 17.5 brushless.

That buggy you linked to doesn't look very good quality and parts support will be non existent other than ordering on-line.
Old 01-12-2018, 04:48 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 180 (100%+)

I would pick the slash, just as local hobby shops have parts, the problem I see is she will get bored driving by herself, also someone will need to manage the batteries as well, either swapping them out or charging, this will reduce the chances of fires, and honest opinion is she will have more fun if you bought 2 of them, plus someone will always be around when running them, it's a great family hobby, just as they get older and faster their toys get more expensive
olds45512 and jp_over like this.
Old 01-13-2018, 07:08 AM
Tech Rookie

Friends,

It's been 24 hours so I can post again!

RC guy - thanks for the link, it helped me get acquainted with some of the offerings

Olds - that's a great summary of what I should look for; thanks again!!

Rexracing - thanks for the alternative option; I'll check it out!

Troubles Dad - thanks for another vote to the Slash. You make a good point about battery safety and possibly turning this into a family activity.

We have a Hobby Works about 30 minutes away so I'm going to stop by there and check out the offerings "hands on."

I think the main vehicle I'll be checking out will be the Traxxas Slash 2wd but I'll see what else they have which might be similar.

A top goal for me will be the enclosed wheels since it sounds like this would be a weak point on other types such as buggies.

Side note. I just learned something about my wife. When she was a youngster, her father (expert mechanic on cars and gadgets) purchased her an RC car, tricked it out / supercharged it, and she actually raced it several times (and won a few times!). We've been married over a decade now and I never knew this. How cool is that?
Troubles Dad likes this.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:23 AM
Tech Rookie

Quick question - I just realized there are slashes in 1/10 and 1/16. From what I've read seams like the standard.

If you've recommended a slash, can you help me out and give a link or specify if it's 1/10 or another size?

Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Terms of Service