Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Servo savers and slippers >

Servo savers and slippers

Servo savers and slippers

Old 12-29-2017, 09:32 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Servo savers and slippers

In the few times I've handed my transmitter to a really seasoned driver, I've always been really impressed with their seemingly instant confidence, calm aggression and sureness in commitment. While there are always sections of a track i feel i need to tiptoe through to maintain a rhythm, these people seem indifferent to pointing and shooting in the blind faith it will stick and straighten out.

I can't do it like that. For me, pace is something to work at slowly and calmly. The moment i get excited is the moment i crash.
Anyway, on the rare occasion I've had the chance to drive a car run by one of these aforementioned elite, something ive noticed is how smoothly the car delivers power and how predictably it steers. Sure, those traits are likely the result of good wrenching and set up.
2 things ive often overlooked in my general maintenance in electric offroad is the servo saver and slipper.
To me, the servo saver was something to look at during assembly and not considered at all in general running.
My cars have always had sluggish, vague steering that didn't centre properly. I've never cracked a servo, but theres a recent epiphany i thought id share.

In 4wd mod, my car always feels unsettled onpower. Like i really need to roll it on.
When i watch the fast guys tho, theyre STABBING like 0-100% thottle in a sec out of turns.
For me, the slipper was something to set initially and provided it didn't slip too much- unimportant. Again, recent epiphany.

Last edited by swarf; 12-29-2017 at 09:39 PM. Reason: Mispelli g
Old 12-30-2017, 02:23 AM
Tech Fanatic

swarf its called knowing what ur running and drive with confidence.. and good hand eye .. I tried running for years without a servo saver after destroying a few 100$ servos that just don't work as well after new gears i went with a good servo saver. as for a slipper clutch well for me i look at tracks layout and readjust to tracks conditions.and my own driving style.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:24 PM
Tech Rookie

My servo saver was really loose .... thanks for suggestion