Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Rookie Zone
Screwed up my brushless motor - what do? >

Screwed up my brushless motor - what do?

Screwed up my brushless motor - what do?

Old 12-28-2017, 02:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Default Screwed up my brushed motor - what do?

Friend gave me a very old Tamiya TAO3R TRF (1/10 4wd touring car), all assembled except for soldering. Don't know exactly whats in it, except that the motor is brushed, it has a novak dually esc, doesn't have reverse and was meant to use nicad. Uses old style numbered transmitter/receiver crystals. I finished it off and added a lipo (with low voltage alarm). Used to work fine, but with occasional radio glitches (car would shoot off every now and then, especially when turning on and off.

Had one of these glitches recently, shot into a wall, and now the motor whines and sparks as normal, but doesn't turn the drive belt.

So, can anyone help me trouble shoot? Is it a dead motor? If it needs replacing, what do I need to buy?

I just use it for messing around, don't really need or want it to go especially fast. More interested in keeping it safe and low maintenance.

Last edited by HokeColburn; 12-28-2017 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-28-2017, 03:29 AM
Tech Fanatic

tittle says brushless after reading now its brushed..if its a brushed motor.pull it out cut commutator and add new brushed and brush springs.. break motor in b4 use with a D battery in cup of green real anti freeze. then dry and lube bushing or bearing..if its brushless its toast..replace brushless motor.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:54 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Or in other words, if it's brushed, just buy something like this and be on your way: https://www.amainhobbies.com/reedy-r...sc9626/p142482
If it's brushless, we'll need more info about what was in there as I don't recall that particular Novak esc and what it could/couldn't run.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Not sure why the posters above are telling you to buy another motor. If it " sparks and spins" then it works. There is no in between with Brushed or Brushless motors ( Minus a cog if it has a bad sensor wire.

I would check your drive train first ( Axles, Drive shaft etc ) and make sure something is not broke from your wall hit.

Take a look at the wheels and adapters, drive line and diffs.

Once that checks out, then proceed to look into replacing the motor.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:58 AM

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Metalsoft View Post
Not sure why the posters above are telling you to buy another motor. If it " sparks and spins" then it works. There is no in between with Brushed or Brushless motors ( Minus a cog if it has a bad sensor wire.
The brushes are almost certainly worn to the point where they could become hung which along with it means the comm is shot, etc. etc., and you're highly unlikely to be going to be able to actually find someone with a comm lathe anymore to bring it back. As such, "modern" brushed motors are disposables. If it's brushless and it sparks then you've got a way, way bigger problem....

That being said, you are right to check the drivetrain for damage first.
Old 12-28-2017, 09:35 PM
Tech Rookie

Sorry - definitely brushed (Goddamn auto correct!).

Thanks heaps for the replies. Looks like I'll need to pull it apart - there's no obvious damage outside of the enclosure that holds the motor and gear, but could be some smashed up gears I guess. Looks like some of the screws holding the cover on the gears are badly stripped so this should be fun... While I'm pulling it apart, are there any good basic maintenance info I should read? This thing was shelved for 10 years before I got it, so I'm guessing something or other will need lubricating. Thanks for the info on breaking in the motor - didn't do any of that, which might have contributed... Also found some soldering of capacitors has broken away, which might have contributed to glitches