Looking for recommendations: 1st RC vehicle for my 4 year old son

Like Tree1Likes

Looking for recommendations: 1st RC vehicle for my 4 year old son

Old 11-23-2017, 07:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Looking for recommendations: 1st RC vehicle for my 4 year old son

Hey there,

Posting in the newb section but Iím not really a newb, I race indoor turf with 1/10 AE buggies and outdoor I race 1/8 Teknos. But Iím having a hard time deciding on a 1st RC kit for my 4 year old son because I have such a focus on racing.

Iím looking for something thatís somewhat slow, easy to drive, and durable. Iíd like to get out of this for <$250 with a running vehicle, transmitter, and battery (charger is already covered).

I was thinking either a brushed 2WD Slash RTR, but not sure if they are really easy to drive. We have a 1/16 erevo brushed but itís too darty and flips easy, even on training mode, so he loses interest fast. My guess is the slash might be similar and also frustrating.

Or thinking about a Tamiya kit so he could help build it. But not sure what Tamiya kit would be best, he loves trucks, and theyíre slow, but I feel like a Blackfoot, monster beetle, or lunchbox might be hard to keep upright.

Any thoughts on the above options, or what alternate route I could take? 4 is pretty young, so I may just give it another year before I buy something new. Insight is much appreciated!

Old 11-23-2017, 08:09 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I always go with the RTR 2wd slash for any of my friends kids. The key is it has a 1/2 speed setting on the ESC so it will limit the speed at which he impacts your leg or tree.... I know from experience. 1/2 speed is good.
Old 11-23-2017, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

What about a Rustler? I have a blast with mine. Light, nimble and pretty damn durable, parts available everywhere
Old 11-23-2017, 10:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Personally I would simply upgrade your radio system for the erevo and limit the throttle epa. I started my kids with ae T4's, that worked out well. Would think mostly it would depend on what surface he will run on, grass, then need big tires, at least 1/10 truck.

At 4 years old though, I'd say you can't go wrong with a slash though, or whatever SC truck that either has a training mode or radio that you can limit the speed with.

Shoot me a PM if you'd think about selling or trading the 1/16 revo.
Old 11-24-2017, 05:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Tobey457 View Post
Hey there,

Posting in the newb section but Iím not really a newb, I race indoor turf with 1/10 AE buggies and outdoor I race 1/8 Teknos. But Iím having a hard time deciding on a 1st RC kit for my 4 year old son because I have such a focus on racing.

Iím looking for something thatís somewhat slow, easy to drive, and durable. Iíd like to get out of this for <$250 with a running vehicle, transmitter, and battery (charger is already covered).

I was thinking either a brushed 2WD Slash RTR, but not sure if they are really easy to drive. We have a 1/16 erevo brushed but itís too darty and flips easy, even on training mode, so he loses interest fast. My guess is the slash might be similar and also frustrating.

Or thinking about a Tamiya kit so he could help build it. But not sure what Tamiya kit would be best, he loves trucks, and theyíre slow, but I feel like a Blackfoot, monster beetle, or lunchbox might be hard to keep upright.

Any thoughts on the above options, or what alternate route I could take? 4 is pretty young, so I may just give it another year before I buy something new. Insight is much appreciated!

I'd first look a controller that fits in the hands of the youngster. If your son can handle a full size pistol grip, great, you have a lot of choices for your son.
Old 11-24-2017, 07:51 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 102 (100%+)

I went through this with my son. The best radio for his hand was the old gray Traxxas Radio, then the Sanwa MXV.

As far as vehicles, it really should not matter. You can dial out the speed from your radio (EPA). My son ran my old RC10B2 at 2.5 years old, at 3 he was driving an ST and now at 4.5 he drives my old brushless truggy on 1600KV and 3S.

The biggest help is to help them learning to correctly bring the car back once its away from them, i.e learning the controls. We drove a lot at a church parking lot, because it was big, and we could place a simple course with those tiny orange cones you can get at walmart or academy for kids sports.

One thimg i will advise against is a small car 1/16 or 1/14, its harder for them to focus on. An SC is great as its big and not as twitchy as the smaller scale vehicles. Or an old Brushless 1/8 buggy with an SCT motor on 3S with the EPA dialed down. Given that they are so robust.

Also.a huge help, is letting them do stuff on the car, such as help change tires, springs, motor etc.

either.way best of luck, and don't worry he will be fine.
Old 11-25-2017, 11:42 AM
Tech Regular

Thanks guys, appreciate all of the input!
Old 11-25-2017, 11:56 AM
Tech Adept

The Slash 2wd is always a safe bet, but I would go with an ECX Amp MT first and foremost. Super durable, parts are really cheap (even though you'll probably never break it in box stock form), and it has a very small radio for his 4 yr old sized hands. Best of all, they're only $139! Here's a picture of the transmitter from Big Squid RC's unboxing.

Biz73 likes this.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:10 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Thumper01 View Post
The Slash 2wd is always a safe bet, but I would go with an ECX Amp MT first and foremost. Super durable, parts are really cheap (even though you'll probably never break it in box stock form), and it has a very small radio for his 4 yr old sized hands. Best of all, they're only $139! Here's a picture of the transmitter from Big Squid RC's unboxing.
Appreciate the recommendation, I wouldnít have even thought to look at ECX. Started reading up on it and it seems like a solid option, and the price is great. Iím off to do some more reading, thanks for the lead!
Old 11-27-2017, 08:28 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

I got my 4 and 6 yr olds a 2wd slash. Not to expensive and can take some abuse. Parts are cheap and easy to get.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:18 PM
Tech Adept

traxxas slash, best way to get into the hobby
Old 03-16-2018, 10:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Get the Slash
Old 03-25-2018, 08:50 PM
Tech Rookie

ECX Torment is bullet proof! Dang near indestructible ! I've Beat/Bashed on mine for over 2 years and have broken exactly "0" parts! That's right NOTHING has broken on my Torment. Basic layout makes it easy to work on and upgrade. Best Bang for your Buck !
Smitty
Old 03-26-2018, 07:46 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 57 (100%+)

I started mines at 4 also. Got him a Slash 2wd brushed. He’s driving my old SC now with a 17.5 turned down to like 60%
Old 03-26-2018, 07:55 AM
Tech Elite

slash .. there is a training mode on all traxxas radios to help him learn..also parts to repair it

Last edited by the rc guy; 04-10-2018 at 08:14 AM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.