Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
Blade chroma fly away >

Blade chroma fly away

Blade chroma fly away

Old 12-19-2016, 03:47 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Blade chroma fly away

I have a blade chroma with the gimbal for the gopro and the st10+ with a hero 4 silver. I am very scarred it will fly away. What can I do? Will it fly away if I am 400 ft away an push return home? Thanks
Old 12-20-2016, 02:11 AM
Tech Elite

Well this is my opinion...

I was going to buy the Chroma, but rather then choosed the Qx350 v2.

Booth are not produced anymore. Guess Blade retrieve the video drones for Panthom's and alikes... they have no margin for them.

I have my brand new (second hand to me) Qx2 350 simply because it has a bigger and normal receiver then the QX...and i only fly with GPS OFF.
Main reason was size vs the Chroma....i fly indoors to.

I guess main reason's those drones fly away is cause of GPS.

People need to be conscience that GPS is a system of the 1960's...updated to death and saturated to death... yes we use it for free but it's oldschool tech developed for older devices....

Releasing things dependent of such ancient tech gives runways, of course.

I only flight my QX350 with my eyes, just like an RC heli/plane. NO FPV neither GPS.

Those drones are so easy to fly, that is compared to an RC car... most people don't realize how hard is to fly a real RC heli.

If i were you i switch the GPS OFF and always fly in the line of sight... but that's just me... i am oldschool...

Don't rely a GPS to be always safe. It will fail...for sure in about 30 to 40 flights sometimes...and could intrefer with the RC system in there...

Heck, even RC 2.4ghz system sometimes fails, mostly because of bad orientation of antenas and obstacles....but way less the GPS fails of signal...maybe 1 time in 200 flights depending of circuntances... wi-fi aereas and high power line towers are a reason to...even cell phone calls, can ruin the signal...

I know this is not the answer you wanted but that's what i do to mine. But i am only person and count only by that. 1 vote

Last edited by targetingxmod; 12-20-2016 at 02:22 AM.
Old 12-21-2016, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

You won't loose it. GPS now days is at it's best with the latest technologies. It's not going to just fly away.
Old 12-23-2016, 06:29 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 313 (100%+)

I have a Yuneec Typhoon which uses the same radio, and they set up a safety fence so you can't go out of sight anyway (without disabling it via pc firmware) Just keep an eye on the solar index and make sure it's under 5, (pi index I think) and keep a micro sd card in the controller so it keeps telemetry if something does happen and you'll be fine.
Old 12-24-2016, 05:32 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

I had a Blade 350 V2 that actually lost GPS signal and flew away. I thought it was gone for good, lost video image and everything. That is till the video came back and I was able to see it landed in a vacant lot not far away. I then got rid of it and went to a 350 V3 and really liked that one, but went out and bought a Chroma. I will say this, practice flying it and be sure that if you do loose GPS signal you can fly it back or safely land it.
I actually had no idea the Chroma was being discontinued until reading this thread. I've had mine for about 8 months. Oh well, seems drones have a short life span, till the next greatest and best drone comes out.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:21 AM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Fly aways are usually pilot error. Make sure you read and understand the manual on your specific RTF drone preflight procedures. Usually you need to set your home position before flying, every time you fly (this is very important) Return to home is useless with GPS if it doesn't know where home is. A lot of the flyaways were because inexperienced pilots would set home position at say the local park, then they were going on a trip to somewhere scenic and thought it'd be cool to get some sweet video. But when they went to fly there they forgot to set home position again. Once you got it in the air the drone realized thanks to GPS that it was 100mi. away from home. Say goodbye to your nice expensive drone because even if you try to push RTH button or shut the TX off to get it to return to home, it already is and is gonna keep going til the battery dies.
This was really common with early Phantoms even P3, not sure how far the technology has advanced with those safeguard. Just always make sure you set home position, all required satellites for GPS are locked on and drone has gone thru initialization completely.

EDIT: Actually I remember seeing that it happened to a DJI Mavic owner recently.
Old 02-15-2017, 01:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Add a tracker onto it https://pebblebee.com/
makes one easy to fit under a canopy .
Has around a 200' range so if you know the general location you should be able to locate
it .
Old 02-17-2017, 11:20 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i have always been paranoid about a fly away