Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
E-flite Radian XL 2.6m glider >

E-flite Radian XL 2.6m glider

E-flite Radian XL 2.6m glider

Old 06-21-2016, 05:48 PM
Tech Elite

Default E-flite Radian XL 2.6m glider

I should have the new Radian XL 2.6m glider this Thursday!

I hope the fuselage isn't wobbly in the back like the old style Radian.

I plan on using a GoPro Session if it flies well with it.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:15 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 58 (100%+)

Let us know how it handles. First time putting my old radian pro in a a dive the tail bowed and went straight down lol. After that I put a cf rod all the way down the back. then she flew like a champ.
Old 06-23-2016, 05:52 AM
Tech Elite

I had the same problem with my Radian Pro. I did the cf re enforcement but still get wobble in the rudder/elevator area.

I'll have the XL today around noon. I hope the fuselage isn't wobbly and weak. Once I get it assembled I'll post my thoughts on the bird and maybe maiden it today.
Old 06-24-2016, 07:53 AM
Tech Elite

Default Weak fuselage

It has that wobbly tail when you bump or shake the fuselage.

I'm not sure why I even took a chance with it. It flies nice, that's about it. Every Radian they make has had a wobbly weak tail. It's way under powered and seems to only have enough power to fly. Pull up to hard and it wants to stall. You have to climb out much shallower when you take off to prevent a stall. Yes, the throttle is set correctly. I'm going to try a steeper folding prop and see if that helps.

Overall, there's that BIG factor that is cool about it and it flies nice and slow and likes to float.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:02 PM
Tech Addict

that stinks! I loved my radian pro after the cf mod and putting a better aluminum folding prop setup on front. I taped the front of the wings so they wouldnt get damaged
Old 06-25-2016, 06:54 AM
Tech Elite

It sure does stink. I'm calling Horizon to see if I can return it. I would have never bought it had I known they didn't fix the floppy tail. I flew it yesterday and could see the tail moving back and forth flexing whenever you turn. It's hard to believe they put this kind of junk on the market at the prices they have.

Don't waste your money.
Old 06-25-2016, 08:56 AM
Tech Elite

Quick update. HH is going to give me store credit once I ship it back. It's still like new with no damage or scratches so I'm sending it back.

When I called the first time, the jack wagon couldn't handle the situation properly so he hung up on me.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:24 PM
Tech Addict

wow lol must be a ex wal mart worker!
Old 06-30-2016, 06:18 AM
Tech Elite

LOL Yeah, he could only say, "sir they have your money". Then he tried to tell me that Motion RC is a US distributor of Horizon Hobby products! LOL The guy is a idiot. Motion is a retailer.

I'm going to get the Timber bnf with the credit.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:09 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

the new radian XL flys great , the motor pulls it up at a good clip and after you cut the power it will fly around until your neck starts to hurt . the tail on the original Radian did indeed have the wet noodle tail but it was still a great flying motor glider .
the radian now under the E flite badge ( eflite radian v2) has a stiffer fuselage , from the wing back to vertical stab. and some other improvements like the wing attachment , no long just a friction fit .
back to the XL , it was designed to be flown to altitude and search for thermals , staying up for 20 mins and well beyond on one climb out is not hard to do at all .
I would say its only downfall FOR SOME is the size ,
the spoilers in the wing are awesome and work well .
Old 08-22-2016, 09:14 PM
Tech Adept

the radian V2 is an excellent motor glider
e flite heard what pilots were saying and did a nice job making a good glider a great glider , I like the new color scheme also ... looks great in the air .
the tiny radian umx is a lot of fun too , I flew mine at the grocery store parking lot last night ... its so small , I leave it in my truck and always have a plane on hand .
about 89.00 street price and a handful of batteries is pretty cheap .
Old 08-26-2016, 07:03 AM
Tech Elite

If they heard us, then why the flimsy fuselage on the xl? Why go backwards and make a new model yet leave a flimsy fuselage? Same goes for the Consendo S. I had to stiffen the fuselage on it as well. As for the Radian bnf, I haven't seen one in person to say that the fuselage is any better than the previous model. I want to get one but don't want to purchase sight unseen.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:43 PM
Tech Adept

the XL is really not bad .
the radian V2 has a stiffer fuse / tail, but i understand having to see it for yourself .
the XL is not flimsy ... its foam!! seriously , it is plenty strong for everything it was designed to do ....climb and glide period! i had a friend call me last week to say his bird of time had the wing fold in half ,,and he thought it was a poor design (arf) come to find out he was diving and picking up some good speed and pulled back SNAP!
THE Radian foes indeed have a soft tail , but still has been a excellent 3ch motor glider . the v2 has addressed all the things i wasn't crazy about in the original ..wing attachment via friction fit and the soft tail . the pro is a swing and a miss for me .
keeping the price in mind the XL and V2 are a steal for what id included and there performance . if yank and bank is your thing , then maybe a warm liner like the great planes Kunai is worth a look .
Old 08-26-2016, 08:37 PM
Tech Adept

a 2 meter foam motor glider and you really expect it not to have flex ? ITS FOAM!
If the tail makes you nervous you should look at some goPro video of the wing ...you want to talk about flex ...its ok.
The radian has been around for a long time , the soft tail is not surprise.
the V2 is much better but its not flag pole either.
Old 08-28-2016, 07:05 AM
Tech Elite

Yes I expect a 2m foam plane to have a little flex. Nothing like they come out of the box though. The bottom line is, they should have a carbon square rod in the fuselage instead of the thin fiberglass piece. It's a cheap way out.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service