Crash help

Old 06-18-2016, 02:44 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Crash help

I crashed a wooded plane. its just completely messed up. but would need some wood work. Does anyone have an experience with this. I have never down any wood work. What kind of tools and wood do I need?
Old 06-24-2016, 06:29 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

i'm not exactly sure but off the top of my head i would think you'd need a saw either a chop or handheld one. and a good sander. maybe a dremel for smaller finer details. and just shape it how u want it.
Old 06-24-2016, 08:42 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Williev View Post
I crashed a wooded plane. its just completely messed up. but would need some wood work. Does anyone have an experience with this. I have never down any wood work. What kind of tools and wood do I need?
I own some wooded plane (balsa). If its minor break (eg: broke into two pieces) you can attached or patch it back using wood epoxy glue. You'll need to buy pieces of balsa wood to patch or rebuild the structure then apply some epoxy. If your plane have that film laminated above it the you'll need to buy MONOKOTE film too.

If its broken into dozen pieces better not glue everything back because all those glue work may costly, too much work to do and added to much weight due to amount of glue being used. You might have to rebuild everything from scratch. But like most of us experience pilot do, if our balsa wood plane crashed severely in dozen pieces it better send it to the trash can and rebuilt it from scratch.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think it is safe to assume that this was a arf / pre built sub assemblies .
it will help to know exactly what needs to be repaired .
if the damage is severe it will be obvious , it is often best to order the replacement part if available .
if it was a damaged wing tip , I would repair it ... remove covering in the damaged area , access the damage , gather the things you will need for repair ,
balsa and or lite ply , CA , epoxy ..30 min is a good way to go as you will have some time before it sets up..give you more time to make sure your work is straight and looks good .
. sand the repaired area to prepare it for the new covering , apply covering and your good to go ...it is not a 10 minute job and may be difficult if you have no experience and or the tools needed .
a damaged or broken wing spar ..this is the wood that runs the lenth or the wing from center to tip...this is were the wing gets its strength and if broken will need to be repaired properly and I would at that point order the parts .
toss up some pics and I will tell you what to do , I have been building kits for years and years ... happy to help .
asking for help is smart , a bad repair or incorrect repair on a plane can be dangerous and at the very least cost you your entire plane and even your electronics .