Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
My first gasser >

My first gasser

My first gasser

Old 05-31-2015, 05:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Questions?? My first gasser

Finished up my GP Escapade MX30 with a DLE-30 and Hitec 9X guidance - any of you gas guys have advice on break-in and first flight? Everything set up as per instructions, but have had instructions be wrong on CG, etc. before... waiting for a calm day to take her out to the field.
Old 06-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Gasser

I always just fly mine.....I do make sure it runs ok at the house first though.....On the dle ditch the stock plug i had 2 that gave me fits....
Old 06-08-2015, 09:24 AM
Tech Adept

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by sbd-3 View Post
I always just fly mine.....I do make sure it runs ok at the house first though.....On the dle ditch the stock plug i had 2 that gave me fits....
Well, I can't get it started. Have fuel flow to the carb inlet, but cylinder is dry
Old 06-09-2015, 12:32 AM
Tech Adept

Default No Start

You say its has fuel at the carb nipple i "assume" it pulled the fuel up to the nipple on its own???? I would make sure you have spark then put a little gas in the spark plug hole and see if it tries to start or run a bit.....
Old 06-09-2015, 05:48 AM
Tech Adept

Default No start

You say its has fuel at the carb nipple i "assume" it pulled the fuel up to the nipple on its own???? I would make sure you have spark then put a little gas in the spark plug hole and see if it tries to start or run a bit.....
No, I blew it through to check the lines. lines ok up to the nipple. Have compression but doesn't draw fuel on its own, can't blow it through carb to cylinder.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:21 AM
Tech Adept

Default No Start

Ok.... you need to get it to draw fuel, did you close the choke and prop the engine over???? My DLE-20 took a bit to pull fuel up the first time after setting all winter and replacing the fuel lines.....Try an electric starter to see if it will pull fuel and make sure the choke is closed.....The diaphragm's can get stiff from setting so it may take it a min. or so but if its a new engine the electric starter or a lot of rotating by hand should get it going....I hope....
Old 06-09-2015, 07:21 AM
Tech Adept

Default No start

Ok.... you need to get it to draw fuel, did you close the choke and prop the engine over???? My DLE-20 took a bit to pull fuel up the first time after setting all winter and replacing the fuel lines.....Try an electric starter to see if it will pull fuel and make sure the choke is closed.....The diaphragm's can get stiff from setting so it may take it a min. or so but if its a new engine the electric starter or a lot of rotating by hand should get it going....I hope....
About wore my arm out hand-propping it the other day. Probably going to have to pull the carb cover to see if it is getting wet at all inside. Maybe try to pull the nipple off to see if something didn't get in there to block it up.
Old 06-09-2015, 06:26 PM
Tech Adept

Default No Start

Just my opinion but i would not pull the nipple....I dont think you can "see" any fuel in the carb.....You might try a short piece of fuel line into a container of fuel to see if it will pull fuel that way....I have had gassers that i had to prime with fuel a few time before they got fuel to the carb.... Some of them just seem lazy that way????????
Old 06-09-2015, 08:31 PM
Tech Adept

Just my opinion but i would not pull the nipple....I dont think you can "see" any fuel in the carb.....You might try a short piece of fuel line into a container of fuel to see if it will pull fuel that way....I have had gassers that i had to prime with fuel a few time before they got fuel to the carb.... Some of them just seem lazy that way????????
I have tried to pressure feed fuel into it (blowing thru the vent tube). The fill line (which is plugged) starts to get fuel in it and pressurizes, but no fuel to the carb. Take the fuel line off the carb and it flows like a mountain spring in springtime.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:57 PM
Tech Adept

Default No Start

Thats a normal thing for pump carbs....You can not "blow" fuel in them from the fuel line...The needle in the carb has a spring that keeps it closed is why you can not "blow" fuel in it....try taking a small length of fuel line,hook it to the carb and put the other end into a small open container of gas and see if it will pull fuel through the line....Also make sure your vent line is NOT plugged....It needs to be open to the atmosphere....
Old 06-11-2015, 04:51 AM
Tech Elite

Check the needle settings to make sure it's open enough. If you have fuel at the carb then it's in the carb settings. Manually set the needles by turning them in all the way until they bottom out. Then turn out to start up settings. Also make sure air gap is correct.