Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New WL Toys v977 on the way

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 05:08 AM
Tech Initiate

Default New WL Toys v977 on the way

Last night i ordered a v977 rtf from banggood and 5 "upgraded" lipos . I am not much for reviewing myself,but i will post pics and state my insignificant opinion on the model. Ofcourse i am noob and this will be my first 6 ch cp heli so i can really only compare it to my v911 and v912.Both being 4 ch flybar helis i am sure it wont be too much of a comparison. Anyways maybe someone will consider it useful who knows.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:00 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Update

Ok people bare with me i will do my best to try to review the v977 in my opinion. Keep in mind this is my first 3d capable and flybarless heli and i have never done a review before . Except were noted this review is based entirely on flying in 6g mode and on low rate at this time as I am still learning to fly this type of heli and even on 6g and low rate it is extremely fast and agile. Received new Wl toys v977 from Banggood. Delivery was quick about 3 or 4 days. Was no notable damage to the box or heli,except the blades were sightly bent from the way it was packed in the box from the factory I guess. Either way it flew fine with the factory installed blades and the spares were straight and when I installed the straight spares I could not tell a difference in vibration,flight characteristics,or trim. Right out of the box the mechanical setup seemed correct.This is based on how it flew,because I dont have experience with setting up this type of heli. I will say that the instruction manuals for Wl toys BLOW big time,Maybe if you spoke or rather read Chinese (I believe the language is) it might be better. (obiviously still try to read manual) But if you do decide to buy this heli,especially if its your first of this type and maybe still I would go and watch a youtube review to better understand the operation. This one I found helpful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnXFSkfoFWc.Didnt time flight times,but they always seem short to me. Suspect it is close to stated time of 5-6 mins i believe it is. Batteries take around an hour and a half to charge.I got the upgraded 520 mah batteries from bangggood,but it almost seems like the stock 450 mah battery is better quality( you might want to research this if you plan on getting extras) Like i figured its no comparison to the v911 or v912. Take off and hover are very easy in my opinion on 6g and low rate requiring virtually no stick movement to take off or hold a tight hover(this is assuming the heli is trimmed correctly and was hover debugged on a half way level surface). Although throttle control is a paramount, the difference between hover and altitude gain or loss is a very tight window and I am assuming this is because it is a cp heli, but I am admittedly completely unsure of this. I would almost go as far to say it is easier to take off with v977 then the v911.Although don't misunderstand me this heli is very fast and requires very small stick movements even to fly fast. When flying on 6g and low rate it is very agile and stable. Wind hehe what wind? I did not measure the wind but was fairly windy in my opinion probably at least 5 mph steady with 10 - 15 mph gusts maybe even more and this heli flies in it no problem on 6g and low rate it does get blown up and down but weighting only 50 g or so it is to be expected. I am still learning so I barely tested 3g mode for fear of crashing(which i did anyways HEHEHE). I will say if you are newb and try 3d mode or use idle up switch at all in any mode be sure to fly over fairly tall grass(3-4 in.) to minimize damage and become very very familiar with using and turning on the throttle hold switch(I cannot stress this enough!!!) because when idle up switch is on it is a good(maybe only) way to cut throttle completely and quickly and will greatly minimize damage to heli. When I was practicing hovering and familiarizing myself with the maneuverability of the heli in 3d mode with idle up switch on I lost control and was flying over dirt and gravel. When I crashed I did not turn on throttle hold on and it completely ripped the rudder motor out of the cage while it was whipping the rudder and rotor blades into the ground LOL. And I even knew better but was not thinking about it,was not familiar with idle up and throttle hold flight, and let my over confidence get the best of me. Also cracked my good set of blades(even being cracked I imagine would still fly,but I still have factories and will install) but, I believe the worst was the rudder motor(it broke the wire off flush with the back of the motor, so I have to get a new one.Rudder itself seems to taken little to no damage.

I almost wish i would have skipped the v911 s and got this right off the bat, but realistically the v911 with paddle gave me invaluable experience which helped me to better fly this heli. You could realistically fly this as a first heli with little to no problems on 6g to learn in my opinion. Are you gonna crash? Are you break things? Most likely. But this is much cheaper than learning on a Trex or similar. And from what I have read fairly capable in the 3d department once you become familiar and comfortable with 6g mode. Unless are a pretty good pilot I would not recommend flying this indoors.Like i said before it is very fast in my opinion,so wrong and/or over controlled(panicked) stick movement will most likely result in a crash in a small flying space.Also like stated before altitude gain or loss is very sensitive which could also be a problem for less experienced pilots flying indoors.In my opinion it is a good value and flies pretty good. I recommend it to anyone looking to upgrade from 4 ch and that cannot afford A Blade or Trex of any brand. I know this review is less then complete but I tried my best I hope it helps someone.

If you do buy this heli I recommend getting extra blades,main rotor gears, and tail rudder motors at very minimum. Also some extra batteries if would want to be able to fly more often.

Here are some pictures after my crash.As you can see there is very little damage for crashing into dirt\gravel without killing throttle.In fact the heli was flopping around for a good second or two before i realized that returning throttle stick to the bottom of the travel will not shut off the throttle(was used to 4 ch).If you want know specs or see before pictures there are plenty floating around the net.
Attached Thumbnails New WL Toys v977 on the way-img_20141009_144300.jpg   New WL Toys v977 on the way-img_20141009_144416.jpg   New WL Toys v977 on the way-img_20141009_144427.jpg   New WL Toys v977 on the way-img_20141009_144456.jpg   New WL Toys v977 on the way-img_20141009_144548.jpg  

Last edited by DeAdOne; 10-09-2014 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Update

more pics.Thats all damage i can see.If rudder motor had wires i believe i could fly it.with just changing the blades.
Attached Thumbnails New WL Toys v977 on the way-img_20141009_144531.jpg   New WL Toys v977 on the way-img_20141009_144513.jpg   New WL Toys v977 on the way-img_20141009_151044.jpg   New WL Toys v977 on the way-img_20141009_151055.jpg