Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
Total noob looking to buy a Quadcopter and needs advice. >

Total noob looking to buy a Quadcopter and needs advice.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Total noob looking to buy a Quadcopter and needs advice.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 12:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 74 (100%+)
Default Total noob looking to buy a Quadcopter and needs advice.

Hello peeps,

I'm interested in buying a quadcopter and would like to stay under $300 if possible. I'm interested in something larger in size and have been looking at the WLToys V262 Cyclone. It looks pretty cool for roughly $70, despite having brushed motors. I'm also concerned about the fly times being only 6 or 7 minutes (with the included battery).

http://www.banggood.com/WLtoys-V262-...F-p-77720.html

Can anyone recommend something else? I would one day want to mount a camera and do some flying. I'd rather buy something nice, so I don't have the upgrade bug right away.

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:07 AM
Tech Elite

The Blade 180QX comes to mind. AND it comes with a camera!

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...ology-BLH7400A
Old 07-06-2014, 05:51 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

Check out the blade 200qx you can get it for $229 with a camera if you look around. You will need a radio to bind it to. You should be able to find a used 6i for around $60-80.
Old 07-06-2014, 09:47 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thanks for the sound advice. Both of those seem like great models.

My only concern is that that might be too small for what I'm looking for. I have some R/C buddies that are car and truck guys, so I'm hoping to broaden their interests and get them involved in these. Because I know them so well, I'm going to have to have a quad that is "large and in charge" to peak their interests.

The hunt continues! I'm hoping to buy something that I won't "grow out of" anytime soon. But we all know how that goes!
Old 07-06-2014, 12:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TIME MACHINE
Thanks for the sound advice. Both of those seem like great models.

My only concern is that that might be too small for what I'm looking for. I have some R/C buddies that are car and truck guys, so I'm hoping to broaden their interests and get them involved in these. Because I know them so well, I'm going to have to have a quad that is "large and in charge" to peak their interests.

The hunt continues! I'm hoping to buy something that I won't "grow out of" anytime soon. But we all know how that goes!
Best way to convince them would be to learn in something durable like a nano qx. Once you master all aspects of the machine you should be able to fly any quad. Worst way to convince them would be to buy a large quad and watching it crash from an inexperienced pilot. You won't "grow" out of the nano qx as its tons of fun and has all the features of larger models. If you do know how to fly any blade quad with SAFE technology will make flying easy and they all have agility mode for tricks and maneuvers. Either way they are a blast and hopefully you can convince some truck guys how much fun they are.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:55 AM
Tech Rookie

I have a cyclone and I think personally, it's a great quad to start with. I'm a heli guy but when I flew that quad, it was so stable I was speechless. Never had something so easy to fly every since my V911 went missing. Also, I don't know if it is possible for all cyclone models but mine has a small gap in the frame which is just big enough to fit my GoPro.
I would highly recommend this quad and the best part is that it takes a beating really well. Perfect for any noobie!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:32 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Originally Posted by Tim_lhl
I have a cyclone and I think personally, it's a great quad to start with. I'm a heli guy but when I flew that quad, it was so stable I was speechless. Never had something so easy to fly every since my V911 went missing. Also, I don't know if it is possible for all cyclone models but mine has a small gap in the frame which is just big enough to fit my GoPro.
I would highly recommend this quad and the best part is that it takes a beating really well. Perfect for any noobie!

Thanks for the input!

I just ordered my cyclone from Amazon. You can't beat $66.00 and free two day shipping.

I also ordered a few extra batteries from eBay at $7.00/each. This should get me started on my new obsession
Old 07-11-2014, 12:40 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

The gigantic box was waiting on my doorstep yesterday.

I'm planning on doing some pre-flight maintenance tonight and hopefully flying tomorrow.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:08 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Default cyclone

I wish I read this before you bought that cyclone. I have had two of them now. First of all they do fly well at first. I bought two extra batteries for mine and I was flying it back to back when the batteries got charged up trying to learn how to fly. The motors got hot and it wouldn't lift itself after about 5-6 battery packs worth of flying. I tried again another day and it just was garbage after that. I talked to customer service at x-heli where I got it and they sent me a new one. I was real careful not to get the next one hot, I never flew it over 7 minutes and let it cool between packs. I did attach some stick legs and got my go-pro on it enough to learn that arial video was possible and quite fun. However even being careful with it it too began to lose power and is now worthless. I am chalking it up to experience and moving on to a bigger platform that can carry a gimbal.