Wiki Posts
Search

UMX Radian from E-flite

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2014, 01:13 AM
Tech Addict

Default UMX Radian from E-flite

Hey guys!

I finally got to put together an unboxing, maiden flight, and flight review video for this cute little plane. I hope those of you that have not purchased this plane yet will benefit from this:

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Here are my Unboxing, Maiden and Review Notes:

Cons:
- Fragile
- Not easily transportable like previous UMX planes
- Brushed motor

Pros
- Handles stiff and swirling winds pretty well
- Good slow speed handling
- Performs loops well
- Good flight times
- Fun
Old 04-12-2014, 06:56 AM
Tech Elite

I have this plane on preorder/backorder and the lhs (Hobbytown) hasn't gotten it in yet. I get tired of waiting so I called and had them order a Radian Pro PNP for me in the mean time. I should have it next week. I have 5 like new batteries I can use in it so I'm looking at planes that I can use the 3s 1300's with. There's a few others I'd like to get as well.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:14 PM
Tech Addict

Nice Greg! You must have unlimited space for planes in your place lol

Here is just the maiden flight video:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:55 AM
Tech Elite

LOL, I'm starting to run out of space in the garage. I just got a call that the UMX Radian is waiting to be picked up so I'm off to get it. haha

I backed off on the large Radian Pro, for now. I'd like to order a Zephyr EDF V70 Glider as well.
Old 04-16-2014, 08:50 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

It definitely looks like a great addition to the mini/micro genre, and one that's not quite like the others out there. I just picked up a Radian Pro after being out of flying for several years, and I'm worried I might be biting off more than I can chew given my lack of flying; wondering if the UMX might be a better way to ease back into it.
Old 04-17-2014, 04:45 AM
Tech Elite

I flew my Radian yesterday. It flies good. Got bored rather quick with the super slow flying but over all it's a nice little glider. Fragile as all get out.

ICB, the bigger the easier it is to fly. I wouldn't be to afraid to start with the Radian Pro.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:51 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by GregH
LOL, I'm starting to run out of space in the garage. I just got a call that the UMX Radian is waiting to be picked up so I'm off to get it. haha

I backed off on the large Radian Pro, for now. I'd like to order a Zephyr EDF V70 Glider as well.
I bet!

Originally Posted by ICBeloitRacer
It definitely looks like a great addition to the mini/micro genre, and one that's not quite like the others out there. I just picked up a Radian Pro after being out of flying for several years, and I'm worried I might be biting off more than I can chew given my lack of flying; wondering if the UMX might be a better way to ease back into it.
It is awesome! It is also good if you have limited space close by to get in those quick flights when you have brief weather windows.

Do you have 4-channel flying experience? If so, the Radian Pro shouldn't be too much to handle provided you have enough space to fly it in and that you have things dumbed down a on your radio.

I flew my Radian yesterday. It flies good. Got bored rather quick with the super slow flying but over all it's a nice little glider. Fragile as all get out.

ICB, the bigger the easier it is to fly. I wouldn't be to afraid to start with the Radian Pro.
I thought you might get bored quickly with your flying style, but I do think the you will get a kick out of it flying in thermals. That is what I am looking forward to the most anyway! I am probably going to add the orientation stickers on at that time too......but not until the weather improves
Old 04-18-2014, 05:19 AM
Tech Elite

I flew the Radian yesterday in some high winds. They were calling for 10-20mph winds. I bet it was every bit of that. It flew good. I was fearing that the wing might snap. LOL It held up well.

You're right about having a small area when the time is right. I was working on a big property clean up/hedge trimming job and took a break and flew it around the guys house. I was chasing buzzards with it. LOL

I ordered the Durafly Zephyr V70 EDF and a few batteries.
I'll take pics and even video. The sound is what has me sold on it.

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...dProduct=28265
Old 04-18-2014, 11:51 PM
Tech Addict

That is awesome! Are you going to do this with your new gliders?

+ YouTube Video
Old 04-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Tech Elite

I tell ya what. The umx Radian Has a ton of power for it size. It climbs almost straight up! I had it up yesterday again and caught a nice steady breeze about 1000ft up and was able to soar around for a solid 15 minutes without using any motor.

I wonder if the Radian Pro will stay up 15+ minutes on the stock 1300mah battery? I have 5 1300's. With the included battery, I could fly the Pro for a good hr and a half with minimal down time. Which leads me to my next problem. Flying that high up for so long, yesterday my neck was starting to get a kink in it. LOL I had to lean against my truck after awhile. I have a nice folding chair that I might take next time so I can sit back and not get this nasty kink in my neck.

I had the Cub SS out flying it yesterday as well, went inverted and did a big circle. I happen to be near two power lines that are 10-12ft apart up and down. I somehow managed to fly right between them while still inverted. A friend was there and couldn't believe it even though he was standing there and saw it. LOL He said I must have super human powers. LOL I told him it was simply luck.

I'm gnawing at the bit waiting for the V70. I hope it meets my expectations.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:33 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

I got a radian pro, ESPRIT Avia 2.5E and a Tower Hobbies Vista. The RP was my first sailplane. The longest time I have the RP up was for 1 hour. Could have stayed up longer but you know its getting boring when your texting while the planes in the air. The RP is a slow sailplane do to its thick wing profile. Now my Avia is like a F1 car fun and flys faster between thermals. Lastly the Vista has not gone up yet its gonna be towed up by my Carbon z cub waiting on one part quick release for the tow line. I would skip the RP and get something that flys faster.
Old 04-22-2014, 11:24 PM
Tech Addict

Hey guys!

Here is a video I made tonight. It was made to show what it looks like gliding down from approximately 200 feet in the air with no power for those that haven't yet joined this exclusive club:

+ YouTube Video
Old 04-23-2014, 04:12 AM
Tech Elite

Nice video. I'm actually starting to like the little glider a bunch. It flies so slow that it makes it much easier to fly around trees and other stuff. I was flying yesterday and had it just a foot or so off the ground just cruising around zig zagging tree trunks and other obstacles. Kinda hard to do with a edf. LOL

N M, I know what you're saying but I'm looking for a glider that is slow, or slower then the stealth type gliders. I want to tool around at a slow pace.

I have a Zephyr V70 on the way that I'll use when it's time to pick up the pace.
Josh and Josh from Flite Test clocked the V70 at 78mph with a 3s pack and 84mph with a 4s pack. Then there's that sound......
Old 04-27-2014, 11:18 PM
Tech Addict

Nice video. I'm actually starting to like the little glider a bunch. It flies so slow that it makes it much easier to fly around trees and other stuff. I was flying yesterday and had it just a foot or so off the ground just cruising around zig zagging tree trunks and other obstacles. Kinda hard to do with a edf. LOL

N M, I know what you're saying but I'm looking for a glider that is slow, or slower then the stealth type gliders. I want to tool around at a slow pace.

I have a Zephyr V70 on the way that I'll use when it's time to pick up the pace.
Josh and Josh from Flite Test clocked the V70 at 78mph with a 3s pack and 84mph with a 4s pack. Then there's that sound......
Thanks! Here is another one that offers a wider angle look at this thing in action:

+ YouTube Video
Old 04-28-2014, 04:01 AM
Tech Elite

I had the glider out yesterday at a farm. I used at least half the battery just climbing. I could barely see it. After a few minutes of doing loops just to try and see which way it was going, I stuck it in a hard dive. Now for something so light weight, it sure as heck can dive at what seems like super sonic speed. LOL This thing came down like a box of rocks, maybe faster! hahaha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.