Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
UMX Radian from E-flite >

UMX Radian from E-flite

UMX Radian from E-flite

Old 12-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Tech Elite

Not the UMX Radian but the larger big brother Radian. I had it out a few days ago in a mild breeze maybe 5mph steady. Took it WAY up and let it float for a while. Then I gave it full rudder to the left and went into what I'd call a cork screw that lead right into a flat spin! I'm not talking about a controlled flat spin but a UN-controlled flat spin. I let it go long enough to know that rudder or elevator would not recover it at all. Finally I gave it throttle and after 2 spins it pulled out of the flat spin. I then took it back up to see if I could get it to do it again and to my surprise, I could induce a flat spin and easily recover from it with throttle. This is the first time I've tried a cork screw type maneuver with the big Radian. To be quite honest, I don't think it would do much if any damage to let it hit the ground in the flat spin. It floated pretty good while spinning.

Sadly, after crash landing it, the hit broke the prop adapter and ended the day with the Radian. Waiting for it to come in so I can do more flat spins.
Old 12-06-2014, 01:36 PM
Tech Rookie

I have a Radian pro. Sounds like something I need to try
Old 12-07-2014, 07:20 PM
Tech Elite

I'm not so sure a flatter type wing will do it. Heck, even another Radian might not do it. I taped the entire wing surfaces top and bottom with thick packing tape. The fuse has been glued back together a half dozen times. The poor thing took a hard hit when half the elevator broke and caused it to dive straight into the roof of a building from 200ft up! I found all the pieces and managed to hot glue the fuse/nose back together. In short, there's no way in heII the CG is even remotely close about now. Haven't checked it and don't plan to anytime soon. She flies good enough. LOL
Old 12-08-2014, 11:04 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by GeekMaxx View Post
I have a Radian pro. Sounds like something I need to try
Good to see you here man!

Originally Posted by GregH View Post
I'm not so sure a flatter type wing will do it. Heck, even another Radian might not do it. I taped the entire wing surfaces top and bottom with thick packing tape. The fuse has been glued back together a half dozen times. The poor thing took a hard hit when half the elevator broke and caused it to dive straight into the roof of a building from 200ft up! I found all the pieces and managed to hot glue the fuse/nose back together. In short, there's no way in heII the CG is even remotely close about now. Haven't checked it and don't plan to anytime soon. She flies good enough. LOL
It sounds like you have been having a lot of fun with yours
Old 12-30-2014, 03:31 PM
Tech Elite

fQUOTE=GBLynden;13706228]Good to see you here man!

It sounds like you have been having a lot of fun with yours [/QUOTE]

Yeah it's a blast to fly. Google "Hi Rock Park" in Maryland. its elevation is over 1300 feet. I've been taking the Radian up there and have flown it for over 30 min at a time. Great fun slope soaring with it. I also have been flying the umx there. On a calm day at the house here you can go up there and there's always a breeze rolling up the face from the west. I'll load a video from the plane so you can see just how high 1300ft is. LOL

Last edited by GregH; 12-31-2014 at 07:54 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 10:37 PM
Tech Addict

I would love to see that video and I have been meaning to make a slope soaring video myself at the local school.
Old 01-04-2015, 03:55 PM
Tech Elite

I broke up the big Radian a couple weeks ago. After some tinkering I was able to get it put back together. Thing is, I had to cut it to pieces in order to make the elevator from a Sport Cub S2 I had laying around fit right. I also cut the rudder off and put new fiberglass hinges in place. I also had to switch servo wires and linkage because the control horn on the S2 is on the wrong side. Since I broke the prop and spinner, I decided to incorporate a 70mm edf to the top center. A pile of hot glue sticks and some "duct" tape and I think she'll fly! LOL
Old 01-10-2015, 05:10 AM
Tech Elite

Old 01-10-2015, 05:16 AM
Tech Elite

I still haven't been able to fly the EDF Radian. There's been high winds and it snowed a few days ago and temps have been in the teens. Then again, I make enough money plowing snow to buy these toys so I guess I need to be patient when it comes to snow. LOL
Old 01-15-2015, 01:11 PM
Tech Addict

That is one way to look at the snow lol
Old 01-30-2015, 03:52 AM
Tech Elite

I took the Umx Radian up to high rock a week or so ago and it apparently was too cold outside and the battery went dead.I tried to get it up to where I was at but it ended up getting stuck in tree. What made it bad was the plane got stuck right in front of me about 30ft out. I got some string and tied some weight to the end to try and toss it out and hook the branches to get it to fall. I finally got it after scaling the snow covered rocks for about an hr to get down where it fell. It broke the wing and some other small things. After repairs now it does not fly right and banks hard left. I've messed with it over and over and can't understand why it drops to the left real hard. if I trim the rudder to fly straight I have no right turn ability. Looks like I will be getting a new one. Heck, might as well since it's $10 off right now.

Last edited by GregH; 01-30-2015 at 04:16 AM.
Old 01-30-2015, 06:09 PM
Tech Addict

Oh man! Yeah, those lipos and cold weather do not mix!

I am sorry to hear that you have gone through another one of these awesome planes.

GB

Last edited by GBLynden; 01-30-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-31-2015, 04:26 AM
Tech Elite

Yeah I'm a bit hard on things. The way I see it, it's only money and if I had fun with it then it was worth it. I've flown this one hundreds of times with little damage until now. I bought a AS3extra and it broke before I even had a chance to fly it. Then when I did fly it I landed it and it broke. It got to the point every time I flew it I had to repair the frame. the last straw was when it nosed into the ground and front got broken completely off. At this point I had gotten so frustrated that I balled it up like a piece of paper and threw it in the garbage. That's about the least bang for the buck I have had so far.
Old 02-05-2015, 07:29 PM
Tech Addict

That is a good way to look at it. That plane did nothing for me, but then again 3D isn't my thing
Old 02-15-2015, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

I picked up another umx radian last week. They fly so good when they're new. Being the third one now, forth if you count the one that was bad out of the box. Every single one has had something wrong with it. The first one got beat up pretty good and the elevator servo went bad. The second one had a bad elevator servo out of the box. Third one had a broken rudder that I had to fix before I could even fly it. Now I have this new one that has a bad vibration out of the box. The gear mesh is too tight as well. It really sucks when you drop the cash on the counter only to find that you bought a product that is not QC'ed any better than this. I mean it eats batteries and doesn't have a lot of power because of it so I'll have to open it up and replace the prop shaft and gear and possibly the motor. While I'm at it, I might as well replace the props and prop mount. These little Radians fly so well when they're working right that it's easy to over look these issues. I just wish they were better controlled.
Can't fly anything right now as the wind is howling at 30+mph and trying to rip things apart. lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.