Wiki Posts
Search

What planes do you love?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 06:31 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What planes do you love?

I picked up flying about 5 years ago when I took a break from racing. I'm hooked on flying as much as racing at the moment! I'm mostly a 3D pilot but I've flown a couple seasons of IMAC and compete in the Intermediate level.

I've flown a good number of different planes from micros to a 58% scale Pitts with a 240cc 4-cylinder motor that a flying buddy built.

My favorite planes to date:
32.5% Carden Yak 54 with DLE111 - I built, flew a season and piled in. By far the best flying plane I've owned and flown. I wouldn't hesitate to fly any Carden kit, except you have to build it and it takes awhile. They no longer offer the Yak, either.

ExtremeFlight 110" Yak 54 with DA85 on RE3 tuned pipe. I've flown a couple of these and currently own one. Probably my favorite 3D plane. Super light wing loading make all low and slow maneuvers very easy. Really a joy to fly and confidence inspiring. Setup right, it tracks nearly as well as a Carden.

For small 3D planes, I've flown a few. 3D HobbyShop Extra SHP, Precision Aerobatics Mini-Katana, Multiplex AcroMaster, Great Planes Electrifly Pluma, GP Electrifly Silhouette, and the list goes on.

My favorite go-to basher in this segment is the Multiplex AcroMaster, by far! It flies as well as any balsa equivalent I've flown and it can take a hit when you decide to get down on the deck with it. If you set it up light, it 3Ds extremely well. It does the best blenders of any small plane I've tried. Very easy to lock into a hover and torque roll. It also makes an awesome night flyer with lights installed in the plane when you build it. It is an all purpose machine! Best part is that the foam can be glued with regular CA and kicker, so repairs are quick and easy if you do pile it in.

For more delicate 3D or indoor use, I like the Pluma. It flies really well indoors and out, but I find it too delicate for regular use. I've broken it just moving it around the shop or in and out of the car, lol.

These are some of my favorites, what are yours?