Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
New to quadcopters... Need some advice >

New to quadcopters... Need some advice

New to quadcopters... Need some advice

Old 04-01-2014, 06:09 AM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)
Arrow New to quadcopters... Need some advice

Hey Guys, I've been racing 1/8th and 1/10th off road for about 5 years. Recently I have become interested in trying out a quadcopter. I've looked at a few online but I am confused on some of the terminology. I am interested in trying some of the photography with one. I have a GoPro Hero 2 that I could mount to one. A local racer suggested that I pick up a DJI Phantom FC40. Which I saw comes with a camera but only shoots 720p. I'd like to stay around $500, so that the wife doesn't kill me

Thanks for any advice!

What would you guys recommend that I buy?
Old 04-02-2014, 02:27 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've got a Parrot AR.Drone 2, which it a ton of fun for the money. The built in camera is pretty decent, and it's easy to fly. The iPhone/Android control is neat, but not that great. I'll be upgrading eventually to either the DJI Phantom 2 or a 3D Robotics IRIS

The Phantom 2 is nifty because they've got a gimbal system coming, which will be very cool for the GoPro setup
The IRIS is in a similar arena as the Phantom, but lets you do autonomous flight out of the box.

I'm having trouble deciding myself... But I think the best advice would be to start with a cheaper "beater" quad to learn on. I've beat on my AR.Drone way more than I'd like to have just learning how to fly it! Check out the Traxxas (LaTrax) Alias

Have fun!

PS - I would've posted links, but I'm new here...
Old 04-02-2014, 04:53 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Definitely pick up a beater/beginner machine before you make the jump. Although they're stable, quads still require some skill to keep from crashing. A cheap and durable machine like the Blade Nano Qx is what I would recommend. It flies really well inside and outside.

My picks would be the blade 350qx or the dji phantom 2. Both offer gimbals now, which really helps your video. With gimbal you'll be spending a bit more, but it's worth it. You can also get both without a gimbal more in the price range you're looking for.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default Blade..

I have flown lots of different quads and in my opinion the guys at Blade have done the best with there models. I own a couple of Nano QX's, 180 QX, and 350 QX. I did make my decision to buy the 350, after flying both the DJI and Blade. That being said I concur with buying a small less expensive models like the Nano QX before shelling out $400+ for a camera platform quad. To this day I still fly the Nano more than any model I own.
Good luck quads are alot of fun!!!
Old 04-02-2014, 07:28 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thanks for the input guys! I'm still researching but maybe I will go with a smaller quad. So it looks like the Blade nano QX is a good choice?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:35 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tom2tone View Post
Thanks for the input guys! I'm still researching but maybe I will go with a smaller quad. So it looks like the Blade nano QX is a good choice?
It flies extremely well for its size.

I also really liked my 180qx. It flies a lot like the nano but a bit more solid feeling. Handles wind a bit better and also gets a lot more flight time. The 180 can get 10-11 minutes easily, where the Nano only get 6-7 minutes.

Depends on how much you want to spend before making the jump to your camera ship.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:38 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

I ended up ordering a Nano QX from my LHS today and should have it tomorrow. I also bought another lipo so that I can fly more.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:02 AM
Suspended

I ended up ordering a Nano QX from my LHS today and should have it tomorrow. I also bought another lipo so that I can fly more.
Me too ended up with Nano QX Quadcopters..it is good for beginners and able tom fly in small space ..like office or work room..
Old 04-17-2014, 11:22 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 132 (100%+)

I had a parrot v1, it was ok but glitchy. I have the blade mqx, it is pretty good. Flew it in wind with 30mph gusts and managed to not crash it

Looking at a larger quad now, either a Walkera or Blade

Happy flying!
Old 04-18-2014, 05:13 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

The blade 350 is super easy to fly in Smart mode. My g/f has never flown anything in the air flys my 350 with no problems in smart mode. And it wont hit you in smart mode. Only downside the 350 doesnt like gopro 3 and wifi so I use a gopro hero. The dji is more component friendly where the 350 has one main board. Stay away from the Walkera. If i was gonna use a quad with a gimble and gopro I would get a dji. Dji is more robust.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:26 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Thanks for the replies guys! I've been doing some more research and have decided to pick up a DJI phantom 2. I'm thinking I will just fly it around until I become a solid pilot. Then I'll add a fpv set up and go from there. I've been flying with the blade nano qx and getting better little by little.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:24 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Thanks for the replies guys! I've been doing some more research and have decided to pick up a DJI phantom 2. I'm thinking I will just fly it around until I become a solid pilot. Then I'll add a fpv set up and go from there. I've been flying with the blade nano qx and getting better little by little.
can I ask you what phantom 2 did you purchase.
im looking om the same but now, not sure if go with the integrated camera or go with gopro,
Any advice on what camera will take better pictures and videos?
let me know.
Thanks