Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Plane - What to Get?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 11:22 AM
Tech Champion

Default First Plane - What to Get?

So I've been flying the Champ - a lot.., and am ready for the next step - a "real" plane.

I have been recommended the E-flite Apprentice, which looks great. I like the SAFE thing, and that it has lots of good feedback. It is though a bit large-ish.. I would like to have something I could fly in a few local parks, and the Apprentice is probably out of the question for at least one (the closest) place I have in mind..

Then, there is the Hype Corsair or Trojan. These are small-ish planes (about 85cm wingspans), but with gyro systems. Here:

http://www.hoelleinshop.com/Neu-im-O...=22138&p=22138

These Hype planes with gyro are new, so there is no feedback or info out there.. Does anybody know anything? Maybe it's a rebranded plane someone is familiar with?

Next, I just stumbled onto the Parkzone Firebird Deltaray. Looks pretty cool, and is just the right size - AND price AND it has the SAFE system..

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I think long-term my flying ambitions don't extend beyond the Parkzone warbirds - the Wildcat and/or maybe a Focke Wulff. For starters though I want something smaller, cheaper, and easier to learn on... Thanks...
Old 09-11-2013, 06:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 36 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Herrsavage
So I've been flying the Champ - a lot.., and am ready for the next step - a "real" plane.

I have been recommended the E-flite Apprentice, which looks great. I like the SAFE thing, and that it has lots of good feedback. It is though a bit large-ish.. I would like to have something I could fly in a few local parks, and the Apprentice is probably out of the question for at least one (the closest) place I have in mind..

Then, there is the Hype Corsair or Trojan. These are small-ish planes (about 85cm wingspans), but with gyro systems. Here:

http://www.hoelleinshop.com/Neu-im-O...=22138&p=22138

These Hype planes with gyro are new, so there is no feedback or info out there.. Does anybody know anything? Maybe it's a rebranded plane someone is familiar with?

Next, I just stumbled onto the Parkzone Firebird Deltaray. Looks pretty cool, and is just the right size - AND price AND it has the SAFE system..

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I think long-term my flying ambitions don't extend beyond the Parkzone warbirds - the Wildcat and/or maybe a Focke Wulff. For starters though I want something smaller, cheaper, and easier to learn on... Thanks...
The HobbyZone Delta Ray is a FANTASTIC airplane. While it is a "trainer" you can still fly in experienced mode, and still use the "panic" switch to save the airplane if something were to go wrong. After having the Delta Ray, you could move to something more along the lines of the ParkZone T-28 Trojan or similar.

Seth
Old 09-13-2013, 05:18 AM
Tech Champion

Trigger pulled...

Old 09-13-2013, 06:44 AM
Tech Elite

Looks great. Let us know how it flies. I'm getting a Striker from the lhs when they move. It's a used plane but it's all in tact and has never been crashed. The owner of the shop got it for free so he said he'd hook me up. We'll see.
Good luck with the new bird. Should be tons of fun.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:22 PM
Tech Champion

Well the first outing was a success. It was a bit too windy, and I had some friends who wanted to watch, which made things more rushed than I would have wanted. But all in all I really liked it. In beginner mode it's plenty easy to fly, and flies well. The panic button is great for landing too. Throttle down, hit the panic button, and in she comes, slightly nose up for a perfect landing, every time. The only really little minor thing I still don't quite get is that, when gliding down for ex., and zig-zagging lining up for a landing, one motor on one side will kick in on its own as part of the differential thrust thing I guess.., even though my throttle stick is all the way down. I just need to get some more practice with it, on a calmer day. So far though I'm pretty happy with it. Looking forward to getting some more air-time with it.

Storage at home and transport are kind of challenge. Still used to just throwing my offroad RC trucks and buggies in and out of the car, plop on the ground, etc.. Got to treat these things totally differently, which takes some getting used to..

Short clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=MAwC8NdeFXw

+ YouTube Video
Old 09-15-2013, 11:16 PM
Tech Addict

That is one pretty plane. I am half tempted to get one!
Old 09-15-2013, 11:58 PM
Tech Champion

Have to admit, I found it to be a looker as well.. Reminds me slightly of the Briish Vulcan bomber (James Bond Thunderball?...)
Old 10-12-2013, 04:48 AM
Tech Elite

So how is the Delta wing holding up? Have you had the chance to fly more?
Old 10-13-2013, 09:08 AM
Tech Champion

Great.. Just hard to find the time and space to fly it. Good fun when I can though.. Probably have about 8 flights on it. All good..
Old 11-27-2013, 04:04 PM
Tech Rookie

Ild recommend an EZ Star.
Old 03-25-2014, 12:37 AM
Tech Rookie

Are you wanting electric or nitro?
Old 03-25-2014, 04:13 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by tonywayne
Are you wanting electric or nitro?
You're a little late with the question. He already bought a Delta electric plane 7 months ago. LOL
Old 03-28-2014, 02:54 AM
Tech Rookie

The 800 Easy Trainer is the ideal choice for beginners. Pleasing on the eye, its gentle and forgiving flight characteristics are perfect for pilots to enjoy flying, while coming to terms with a completely new experience.