R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight

Old 02-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default RC Racer looking to get a small C Pitch heli or not?

Hey I am looking to get a small/Micro heli and I have found a sweet deal on a Helimax CP 100 flybarless rtf with a 6 channel trans. but I have very little experience with collective pitch. I have been racing competitive for years in nitro and electric off road and pick up anything RC quickly. Just don't want to be blown away by the basics of flying the heli.! Should I get a fixed pitch heli and is there a huge difference in the two versions? I have flown a couple small fp helis with no real problems. Anyway I would be grateful for any advice on a beginner getting a basic CPitch small heli.! Thanks!
Kyosho TKI3/ Fusion X5LFM tuned by H.E.S / Fusion X3LFM tuned by H.E.S./ Nova 9886ss/ RB 2045/ Savox 1271+1268/Schumacher KR/ Viper VTXr10/ Viper VST 7.5/ Savoy 1267/ Futuba 3pks/ Spectrum 2.4 Mod/ Spectrum Pro 3001/ Spectrum 3000
savannahmick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 09:01 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

Hey there!
Thought I would give you what advice I can. My background: I raced 1/18 scale late models (oval dirt track) for 3 years about 8 or 9 years ago and then got out of the R/C hobby until about two years ago. I started flying helicopters when I got back into R/C and just recently acquired a Vaterra Kemora to mess around with (sold my late model). As for the advice you asked for on helicopters.

I currently have a Blade mCPX and mCPX BL that I learned to fly collective pitch with. I also have a Trex 500 Pro DFC which is just an absolute blast! Since you seem to be a beginner I might recommend trying a fixed pitch (FP) first off. I realize that you have some experience with them but the practice you get with the FP will save you loads on parts when you get a CP heli. I would also recommend getting a FP helicopter that is Flybarless. I don't know if you have read or know much about flybarless helis but they are essentially the newest technology and are quickly making flybarred helis outdated. HERE is a link to an article about understanding flybarless helicopters. That site has A LOT of helpful articles and also e-books (I have purchased a couple myself)!

So what I would recommend as far as progression into CP would be the following.

Start with an MSRx.
These are Fixed Pitch flybarless helis from Blade (a horizon hobby company).
Parts will be readily available at your local hobby shop (LHS) and they are great helis.
I did a search on www.helifreak.com (GREAT site for helicopters, I am a member)!
I found THIS Ready to Fly MSRx for $50 shipped with controller, 5 batteries, and charger (I just realized that it has already sold but still gives you an idea). That would be a GREAT heli to start with. When you progress on to CP it will also be fun to have for flying around the house!

I would also recommend getting a flight simulator. I have Phoenix and think it is really good. These do require an upgraded transmitter like a DX4e or DX6i. I would recommend a DX6i. That will last you some time and you can bind new helis to that transmitter and also use it on simulators.

After you get some flying time in on that I would suggest flying the mCPX. The CP 100 appears to be a pretty good CP heli but parts will most likely not be available at your LHS. I know from experience how frustrating it can be to break parts and have to wait for them to come in. And trust me you WILL break parts on your CP heli haha I STILL do! It is just the nature of the beast. The other thing to consider with CP helis is that they are not house friendly. I tried to test fly my new mCPX BL in my home and broke a piece of my carbon fiber frame instantly (slammed into a book case). The CP helis have a ridiculous head speed which makes them vulnerable to damage when flying indoors.

The mCPX has parts readily available and is a great intro heli into CP. It can take crashes well (outside over grass of course) and is A LOT of fun! Its exciting when you start doing inverted flights and other mild 3D stunts. I hope this has proved to be informative for you! I think helicopters are a blast and am able to find a balance between my cars and helis. Feel free to PM me with any questions! Best of luck!
SPFDheli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 03:39 AM   #3
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPFDheli View Post
Hey there!
Thought I would give you what advice I can. My background: I raced 1/18 scale late models (oval dirt track) for 3 years about 8 or 9 years ago and then got out of the R/C hobby until about two years ago. I started flying helicopters when I got back into R/C and just recently acquired a Vaterra Kemora to mess around with (sold my late model). As for the advice you asked for on helicopters.

I currently have a Blade mCPX and mCPX BL that I learned to fly collective pitch with. I also have a Trex 500 Pro DFC which is just an absolute blast! Since you seem to be a beginner I might recommend trying a fixed pitch (FP) first off. I realize that you have some experience with them but the practice you get with the FP will save you loads on parts when you get a CP heli. I would also recommend getting a FP helicopter that is Flybarless. I don't know if you have read or know much about flybarless helis but they are essentially the newest technology and are quickly making flybarred helis outdated. HERE is a link to an article about understanding flybarless helicopters. That site has A LOT of helpful articles and also e-books (I have purchased a couple myself)!

So what I would recommend as far as progression into CP would be the following.

Start with an MSRx.
These are Fixed Pitch flybarless helis from Blade (a horizon hobby company).
Parts will be readily available at your local hobby shop (LHS) and they are great helis.
I did a search on www.helifreak.com (GREAT site for helicopters, I am a member)!
I found THIS Ready to Fly MSRx for $50 shipped with controller, 5 batteries, and charger (I just realized that it has already sold but still gives you an idea). That would be a GREAT heli to start with. When you progress on to CP it will also be fun to have for flying around the house!

I would also recommend getting a flight simulator. I have Phoenix and think it is really good. These do require an upgraded transmitter like a DX4e or DX6i. I would recommend a DX6i. That will last you some time and you can bind new helis to that transmitter and also use it on simulators.

After you get some flying time in on that I would suggest flying the mCPX. The CP 100 appears to be a pretty good CP heli but parts will most likely not be available at your LHS. I know from experience how frustrating it can be to break parts and have to wait for them to come in. And trust me you WILL break parts on your CP heli haha I STILL do! It is just the nature of the beast. The other thing to consider with CP helis is that they are not house friendly. I tried to test fly my new mCPX BL in my home and broke a piece of my carbon fiber frame instantly (slammed into a book case). The CP helis have a ridiculous head speed which makes them vulnerable to damage when flying indoors.

The mCPX has parts readily available and is a great intro heli into CP. It can take crashes well (outside over grass of course) and is A LOT of fun! Its exciting when you start doing inverted flights and other mild 3D stunts. I hope this has proved to be informative for you! I think helicopters are a blast and am able to find a balance between my cars and helis. Feel free to PM me with any questions! Best of luck!
I REALLY appreciate your help/info and I am going to get a FP heli! But I just couldn't pass up the deal on the Axe 100 CP RTR at GS Hobby they had one left on clearance for $79 and shipped it free. Tower wants $199 for the same setup http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCPGU&P=0
and the 610TX that comes with it is the main reason 6 channels with some really good features for a rtr tx http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCRXU&P=Z it sells for $150 separately. I am going to get the little Helimax FP Huey MD-530 BNF to get started and then slowly try to get better with the CP Axe. I probably should have spent the extra on a good Blade but funds were limited and hopefully I can use the TX with other Heli brands also is that possible? Thanks Again and I will be grateful for any help/advice you can give me! Weather here has sucked for outdoor racing so I figured I would get off the ground with some RC Heli fun! Thanks Again!
Kyosho TKI3/ Fusion X5LFM tuned by H.E.S / Fusion X3LFM tuned by H.E.S./ Nova 9886ss/ RB 2045/ Savox 1271+1268/Schumacher KR/ Viper VTXr10/ Viper VST 7.5/ Savoy 1267/ Futuba 3pks/ Spectrum 2.4 Mod/ Spectrum Pro 3001/ Spectrum 3000
savannahmick is offline   Reply With Quote