Wiki Posts
Search

Best airplane, quadcopter, and heli for beginner

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 46 (98%+)
Default Best airplane, quadcopter, and heli for beginner

Hey guys, I have got a certain interest in flying all the sudden with the summer class at my community college. We have built a hexacopter for aerial videos as well as unmanned flights using gps control and starting to build a fleet of mini quads for formation flying. Anyway, I am wanting to get a plane, a good heli that is a step above the blade mcx2, and a quad.

Now, I have in mind a plane which is the Hobbyzone Champ. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I have been watching flitetest on youtube and their swappable series is very intriguing. Cheap is also a huge factor. I want to keep the cost on all of these.

As far as a heli, I'm looking for something a step up from the blade mcx2. I would like to be able to maybe fly it outside, and if possible (not needed) but be able to fly it inside as well. Again, cheap is also a huge factor. I want to keep the cost on all of these.

Last but not least, I am wanting a Quadcopter. I just am so fascinated with these little aircraft. They are simply amazing. Now I have flown a Micro Turnigy quad from Hobbyking with the old non LCD 3.0 board. It is my project at school, and it flys horrid. I can't get it trimmed, and the board I think is janky almost. I was thinking of either building my own quad, or buying a blade mqx. What is everyones thoughts there? Once more cheap is also a huge factor. I want to keep the cost on all of these.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:43 AM
Suspended

Something like the Blade mCX2 would be easier to learn on than most quads. Most people that fly quads seem to agree that it's best to have some heli experience before flying a quad.

Regards.
Andy.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:51 AM
Tech Master

Sorry, let me rephrase the heli part. I have a blade mcx2, and I want something a step above. The mcx2 is simply jus getting boring now.

Also, if any of you know, can you use a Turnigy 9x transmitter and receiver on a quadcopter?
Old 08-07-2013, 08:12 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

blade msr is a bit tougher to fly than your current copter and its pretty cheap. So far I've crashed it quite a bit and 0 broken parts. Would check youtube videos on the models to compare flying styles, will show the difference pretty well.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:11 AM
Tech Master

Do you have any idea on the airplane or quad situation? Ill take a look at that blade.
Old 08-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by maxxnslash
Do you have any idea on the airplane or quad situation? Ill take a look at that blade.
not sure on airplanes or quad-copters, i got the blade two days ago now and it is my first helicopter. It requires a lot of work on the sticks to keep it hovering and moving in the right direction but it's never boring you're always doing something and not just letting it hover there on its own. I flew it outside today in some wind and it was pretty stable all things considered. You'll find some people doing some pretty crazy things with it on youtube, i'm nowhere near that so seems like it will keep me occupied for a while.

I got the RTF version but bnf w/ a real remote seems like it would be a better option if you already have a tx
Old 08-08-2013, 08:00 AM
Tech Master

I honestly would probably just buy the rtf. I have a lot of family, friends, and my girlfriend who like to fly when I am. I mean the rtf of the msr is only $79 you can't beat that. Heck my mxc2 was over $100 I think. Yea, I saw some outdoor footage of it, and it doesn't do too bad. A little bit of wind though and it does not like it at all. What does everyone think about the Blade 120 sr? Would it be a step up from the Blade msr or would it be a step down because I have heard both?
Old 08-08-2013, 12:05 PM
Tech Initiate

The 120sr is basically a bigger version of the msr. They're both fixed pitch helicopters. They both have 45 degree flybars. Neither of them handle wind very well past 5mph. This is primarily due to the slower head speeds. The 120sr is a good helicopter to learn orientations, and start flying circuits (both forward and backward) since you have a true rudder compared to coaxial machines. I had a 120sr and flew it for quite awhile (6-7 months) before stepping up to collective pitch helicopters. Either will work very well, and sure to keep you stimulated and smiling.

Last edited by DiaboloChad; 08-08-2013 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:49 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DiaboloChad
The 120sr is basically a bigger version of the msr. They're both fixed pitch helicopters. They both have 45 degree flybars. Neither of them handle wind very well past 5mph. This is primarily due to the slower head speeds. The 120sr is a good helicopter to learn orientations, and start flying circuits (both forward and backward) since you have a true rudder compared to coaxial machines. I had a 120sr and flew it for quite awhile (6-7 months) before stepping up to collective pitch helicopters. Either will work very well, and sure to keep you stimulated and smiling.
Well, of the 2 between the msr and the 120sr, which might you choose? I mean the 120 is a little more expensive, but you can't really fly it inside the best. Yet the msr apparently has some really touchy throws from what I have read, but you could fly that inside if it was too windy outside. Anymore input on that from anyone?
Old 08-09-2013, 07:06 AM
Tech Initiate

I've never flown the msr so it's tough for me to say with any certainty which one I would buy. The msr will definitely be easier to fly indoors due to its size. If indoors is where you think you will be doing most of your flying then the msr makes the most sense. In my case I have a fairly big garage which is where I did 90+% of my 120 flying.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:52 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by DiaboloChad
I've never flown the msr so it's tough for me to say with any certainty which one I would buy. The msr will definitely be easier to fly indoors due to its size. If indoors is where you think you will be doing most of your flying then the msr makes the most sense. In my case I have a fairly big garage which is where I did 90+% of my 120 flying.
Yea I mean we got a big shed it's just full of cars. lol Then the actual garage isn't huge and i'd have to back the cars out probably
Old 08-09-2013, 09:55 AM
Tech Master

I got my Hobbyzone Champ in the mail today. Really it didn't have near the power I figured it would have. It's almost underpowered enough to where it's hard to fly if that makes sense. I flew a wing a while back it was cake compared to the Champ you almost have to stay mid throttle to have any kind of decent fllight it wants to go up when you punch it for some reason
Old 08-09-2013, 10:10 PM
Tech Master

Well the Hobbyzone Champ might not have been the best idea. I have gotten used to the Brooklyn Aerodrome "The Towel", but this Champ flies all sorts of weird. Like it's so slow it's almost harder to fly. Banks and turns are getting easier though. After about 4 or 5 flights though I was coming in for a landing, but I was going to loop one more time well I came down and hit the power line and just totally snapped a wing off. I thought these things were supposed to take a beating??
Old 08-13-2013, 06:51 PM
Tech Adept

the chopper is back working again thanks to horizon so would recommend it, but maybe a bit much for a total noob.

Last edited by mjmurphy; 08-24-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:26 PM
Tech Master

I didn't pull the trigger yet. I actually think I'm going to snag the Blade mqx first so I can get some quad experience down for some aerial footage.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.