Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommendations for those starting with RC

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2013, 03:09 PM
Tech Addict

Default Recommendations for those starting with RC

This is a summary of what I have learned with no background with RC flight over the past two years.

RC Planes:

This is the plane that I suggest you start off with. It is only $89 for everything you need and it stays fun for a long time. The best part is that you don't need a big area to fly it in and it is very easy to transport:

Here is an example of me flying mine in the wind:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Here I am flying it in a more open space:
+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

There are other trainers out there, but this is the least expensive and best way to learn IMHO due to its price and light weight. Less mass means less destructive damage. It does mean that it will get blown around in the wind more than a larger plane, but no planes should be flown in the wind by a beginner anyhow. I do suggest flying only over grass during your first few flights in a wide open area. The grass is far more forgiving than pavement is when you crash and if the area is wide open, there is no chance to crash into a tree if it gets away from you.

This plane is another proven trainer with a long track record. Aside from the ACT System (Not to be confused with the SAFE System found in the newer version of this plane) this is a great option for those that want to fly a larger plane right out of the box:

+ YouTube Video

Here is another plane that may be used as a trainer and can be flown in your house provided there is another space (use caution with this as the covering on the wings is somewhat fragile.) It can also be flown outdoors is little to no wind as shown in this video:

+ YouTube Video

Here is another option worth exploring if you don't want to try either of the above options:

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

It is also more durable than one would think:

+ YouTube Video

Here is the best aileron trainer to learn on IMHO. It is $99 and works with the controller that comes with the trainer plane. It also looks insanely cool in person during low passes. It looks very realistic in the air and is a lot faster than the trainer plane.

+ YouTube Video

This is a new look at the T-28 and how much utility you can get out of it after of three year's worth of fun!
+ YouTube Video

This is a great "parkflyer sized" aileron trainer option for those with flying more space and want to move to FPV flights at some point. This is a highly underrated and inexpensive gentle flying plane:

+ YouTube Video

Once you have mastered the aileron trainer, flying either one of the next planes should be well within your grasp (you will need to upgrade your controller to handle the bigger one for sure due to the speed of the plane and limited range of the controller than comes with the trainer plane):

This one lands a little hot, so you need to have your landings down for this one in particular
+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

Unboxing
+ YouTube Video

Ripping around in the sky:
+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

Such a pretty flying RC Plane:
+ YouTube Video

This plane is one that would make and excellent 3rd or 4th plane. It has no bad habits that I can put my finger on at this point and handles wind really well:
+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

I would describe this one best as a fourth plane option.
+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

These planes are fourth planes at the soonest. They have flaps and retractable landing gear and fly Warbirds.
+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

***Note: The single most important thing to keep in mind is to never try to fly more plane than you are ready for. Crashing can be discouraging and expensive. You can also hurt people if you aren't careful.***

Once you have mastered those planes, you can fly just about anything like an EDF jet with assistance, provided you have good command of the rudder:

I bought this jet as my second plane and it ended with a very smashed up jet and ego after I crashed on its very first flight! I was also lucky I didn't hurt anybody:

+ YouTube Video

Here it is taking off and trying to land on a road in a berry field lol
+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

This one could be considered for a third plane:
+ YouTube Video

This plane taught me to stretch my skills a bit:
+ YouTube Video

This plane has a strong rudder proficiency requirement for it to fly decent:
+ YouTube Video

RC Helicopters:

The best entry level helicopter that will be easy to learn on and still keep your interest for a while is the Blade MCX2. I have had mine for almost two years and I still have a ton of fun with whenever I fly it. Here are some more details about this helicopter.

Here is an example of me flying mine around my apartment just messing around and having fun:
+ YouTube Video

+ YouTube Video

Here is the logical next step for a second heli:
+ YouTube Video

RC Quadcopters

This is an inexpensive beginner option:
+ YouTube Video

This is a newer version in the style of the Nano QX with EDF fans!:
+ YouTube Video

For those one a really tight budget:
[yotuube]lNk3TZIUQTI[/youtube]

Here is a more advanced quadcopter to work up to:
+ YouTube Video

I think this is enough information to get the conversation started in this thread. Feel free to ask any RC related questions you have. I love this hobby and am happy to help out you guys just starting out any way I can.

Also, others should feel free to contribute what they have learned to the beginners in this thread. I certainly don't know it all and can probably benefit from your input as well as the beginners.

Happy flying!

Note: If you know you are going to be a lifer in this area of the hobby, you may want to get an instructor before making any purchases.

Last edited by GBLynden; 08-30-2015 at 12:24 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:45 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I agree with getting the Champ to start with, I bought mine a couple weeks ago and since then have crashed quite a bit with some reasonable damage (the prop and tail take some damage), I'm slowly getting better and am very happy with the purchase.

I also agree with getting a better radio relatively early on, I got a DX5e not long after the Champ and it has made flying a ton easier, it just feels better in the hands while flying.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:02 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by tromoly
I agree with getting the Champ to start with, I bought mine a couple weeks ago and since then have crashed quite a bit with some reasonable damage (the prop and tail take some damage), I'm slowly getting better and am very happy with the purchase.

I also agree with getting a better radio relatively early on, I got a DX5e not long after the Champ and it has made flying a ton easier, it just feels better in the hands while flying.
I am glad you are happy with everything and nice choice to upgrade the radio! Let me know if you have any questions about the next steps you take in your RC journey.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:40 AM
Tech Rookie

GB,

Thanks for the write up. This is a great explanation of the progression path.
I just got a Champ 3 days ago, I love it, and instantly got the upgrade bug.
(got my eye on a DX5e, and a Micro corsair)

I definitely need more time with the champ, and it is a great plane.

What is your opinion on the Ultra-Micro F4U Corsair, or parkzone UM Mosquito vs the T28?
Old 02-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Tech Initiate

is there a plane that progresses as your abilities increase? I was looking at the flyzone switch but haven't heard much about it.

Thanks
Old 02-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Dman77
GB,

Thanks for the write up. This is a great explanation of the progression path.
I just got a Champ 3 days ago, I love it, and instantly got the upgrade bug.
(got my eye on a DX5e, and a Micro corsair)

I definitely need more time with the champ, and it is a great plane.

What is your opinion on the Ultra-Micro F4U Corsair, or parkzone UM Mosquito vs the T28?
I have heard a lot of bad things about the UM Corsair when it first came out. The center of gravity was off and it flew poorly. The newer ones I supposed to be better, but some people have been recently sold some from the first run, so I personally wouldn't risk it. I would wait to upgrade to the park flyer sized plane later on. They are the same size as my Wildcat shown above and fly REALLY nice.

The Mosquito looks cool, but is a dog in the air from all of the reports I have heard. It also requires a funky batter, so it won't work with your other planes like the Champ and T-28.

The T-28 is the micro I fly the most. It is so fun and handles so well, that it is always the one I reach for. I can't say enough good things about the T-28. I have seen the larger size of this one as well and it is great in the air as well.

Originally Posted by zhydeman
is there a plane that progresses as your abilities increase? I was looking at the flyzone switch but haven't heard much about it.

Thanks
You can make modifications to all of the planes I mentioned in this thread to make them faster and better flyers. Buying more high performance batteries can help as well without doing anything else. Flight times are longer too.

New engines can be purchased as well that give you 20-30% more thrust making them faster. For the beginner, speed is one of the easiest things to adapt to since you are still just learning how to make the planes do what you want.

I don't recommend buying too many micros unless you have very limited space to fly in, however. I actually wish I would have bought the Wildcat instead of P-51 or the Pole Cat, though I did learn a lot from flying both. The difference is keeping your interest in them moving forward.

The Wildcat is one that can be made really fast with some modifications and just buying higher capacity batteries for it.

I hope that answers your questions guys. Feel free to ask anymore or the similar ones if I didn't answer them the first time around.

GB

Here is the P-51 that is on sale for $60-$75 depending on where you buy it. It was my second plane, but I still recommend the T-28 over it for that for a second plane:

+ YouTube Video
Old 02-18-2013, 10:21 PM
Tech Addict

Ok so I found a trainer that grows with you! Glasair Sportsman RTF by HobbyZone: http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...an-rtf-HBZ7600

I have never flown this one myself, but by all accounts so far it fits the bill. Also, the Easy Star One and Two seem to be decent options from what I hear.

They are certainly worth checking out too before you buy.

GB
Old 02-19-2013, 05:22 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the champ is the best thing to happen to rc flight. it's such a fun little plane.

i advise you guys to skip the dx5e and go with the dx6i. it's not too much more $$ and will grow with you.

for a first heli i suggest the blade 120sr. it's a fixed pitch single rotor and is actually easier to fly then the twin rotor coaxial helis. it can also fly outside which the twin rotors cant.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:05 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by kaiser
the champ is the best thing to happen to rc flight. it's such a fun little plane.

i advise you guys to skip the dx5e and go with the dx6i. it's not too much more $$ and will grow with you.

for a first heli i suggest the blade 120sr. it's a fixed pitch single rotor and is actually easier to fly then the twin rotor coaxial helis. it can also fly outside which the twin rotors cant.
I agree about the DX6i! I love mine and unless you do some really crazy stuff, it won't hold you back at all.

I have no opinion on the 120sr since I have never flown it. I did consider it a while back, however.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:41 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for sharing such a nice information.All of your plane best for beginners and had best features.When i start this hobby i use Mini Cessana rc plane.But now my brother wanted to get a new so it is really helpful for him.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:32 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by judithangels
Thanks for sharing such a nice information.All of your plane best for beginners and had best features.When i start this hobby i use Mini Cessana rc plane.But now my brother wanted to get a new so it is really helpful for him.
I am glad this was helpful to you!

Here is a video of a sweet flying wing to celebrate!

+ YouTube Video
Old 02-26-2013, 11:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks for sharing a great video.Wings looking so amazing and really great.
Old 02-27-2013, 04:08 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I kinda have a problem. It can get windy here is there anything more stable? I'm a total noob. That Champ might not make it here but I really like the videos I've seen. How about the Super Cub?
Old 02-27-2013, 05:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I think I found one:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...rtf-HBZ7600#t6

Nothing but rave reviews and for beginners as well. A little pricey at $250 for a first, but the technology seems invaluable.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by performula
I think I found one:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...rtf-HBZ7600#t6

Nothing but rave reviews and for beginners as well. A little pricey at $250 for a first, but the technology seems invaluable.
Yep! If you live in a really windy area, you are going to want a bigger plane like that. Since flying in wind is pretty tough, I suggest you buy a flight sim to practice on as well and only fly on the calmest days at first. Even the guys doing it for 30+ years approach it that way. Once they get a feel for it, it is game on!

Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions. I have some flying in the wind rules I will post here soon for everyone to consider regardless of where they live.

Last edited by GBLynden; 06-15-2013 at 02:24 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.