Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
real flight sim= good enough to learn? >

real flight sim= good enough to learn?

real flight sim= good enough to learn?

Old 01-23-2012, 06:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default real flight sim= good enough to learn?

hey everyone! so i've had real flight for awhile, and even though it has seemed to come to me much more naturally than anyone else i know who has attempted to use it, how legit is it? Most planes I can fly and land issue free for the most part, tail-draggers are the hardest. Heli's it seems for me, the more 3d/acrobatic they are, the easier it is for me(seems a$$backwards if you ask me). I can invert the 3d helis and hover them pretty well. Helis I can't always fly symmetrically in the sense of, if the nose might not be dead on in the direction I might be heading If am just trying to do regular flight, but for the most part I can recover the heli from most things, and land it safely.

Planes, i figured out how to hover them within 2 weeks of having the sim. Im good enough to not crash but not good enough to keep it in one spot, and I can't do a lot of the tricks real acrobatic rc flyers do, I mean basics I can rolls flips knifes edge etc.

I have yet to buy a real plane or heli, but for either or, a trainer plane seems far too boring, and for helis, non 3d helis seem boring as well. Think it would still be a bad idea for me to get something more acrobatic for my first time?
Old 01-23-2012, 07:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 85 (99%+)

I would go with a high wing 4 channel trainer. Planes are much easier to fly on a sim than in real life.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by pettyeagles View Post
I would go with a high wing 4 channel trainer. Planes are much easier to fly on a sim than in real life.
idk, it just seems soooo boring lol. Plus i have real flying experience, and the dynamics of it translates to the rc similarly, im just skeptical i guess.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:13 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jirish617 View Post
and for helis, non 3d helis seem boring as well. Think it would still be a bad idea for me to get something more acrobatic for my first time?
Blade MCPx

It's been my experience that realflight is much easier than the real thing, but I've heard other people say the exact opposite. I've mastered a lot of stuff in RF that I have yet to successfully pull off even once in real life.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:32 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by TedMosby View Post
Blade MCPx

It's been my experience that realflight is much easier than the real thing, but I've heard other people say the exact opposite. I've mastered a lot of stuff in RF that I have yet to successfully pull off even once in real life.
i've looked at it, I kind of want something a little larger as far as heli goes, something that can go outdoor as well as indoor, but not like big like 'norma' sized rc heli
Old 01-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I can fly my mcpx easily in <10mph winds. Have you checked out the Phoenix sim?
Old 01-23-2012, 11:55 PM
Tech Fanatic

Originally Posted by mcarnell82 View Post
I can fly my mcpx easily in <10mph winds. Have you checked out the Phoenix sim?
no I haven't, is it supposed to be a better sim? I likely won't buy another one.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:46 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default Sims

The Phoniex sim has all the RC Helios that are availalbe and as the new ones come out you can upgrade the software.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:58 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I learned to fly with a hangar 9 twist with the expos turned down. Used phoenix sim for about a month before taking to the sky. Crashed it on the 31st flight. Got a extra 300 and its still alive. I will get another twist one day. Most fun planes IMO. You can fly it super slow and gentle! Yet do some crazy 3d with it.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:21 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

nothing bad about flight sims at all, they give you a really good understanding of some of the physics and stick controls. not only that but they are also a really good drinking game. we had real flight basic and 5 of us took turns with the Boeing 747 Jet Liner. You had to take off do a loop and fly by upside down then come back and land it. If you crash or touch the grass thats half a beer. the planes sustain damage and wear on Real Flight so as pilots successfully complete the missions the planes get more fragile LOL!!
Old 03-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Tech Rookie

Default New or Old

Long time rc sport plane flyer and car racer here.

Have been thinking of taking the plunge into rc heli's. What I was wondering I have an older RealFlight Sim. G3.5 Loved it for trying out new acrobatics before applying it to the real thing. Also a great rainy day time killer. What I was wondering does the new RealFlight Sim 6 offer that much more for the heli's than what I already have? Looking at the parameters and physics of it.

Also, on the side. I know with reading here that alot of people recommend a co-axial for a starter heli. Have talked with severial heli fliers at the local fields and they have said the most benifit they see in the co-axial is learning orientation to the heli. Would a fixed pitch be something to look at as a first heli after putting quiet a bit of time in on a sim? 450 size? And what are some good brands to be looking at as far as bang for the buck?
Old 03-10-2012, 01:31 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by pettyeagles View Post
I trained myself to fly on Realflight 6 using a plane that was very well matched to the actual plane I purchased. I trained with the "Nexstar EP", and my real plane is the "E-Flight Apprentice". I had no other training outside of Realflight 6, and here is a video of my first ever attempt at flight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKCuQDA1CBk

Other than just being really nervous because it was the "Real Deal", I felt very prepared, and once the nerves calmed down, I was fine.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

i've known a few people who started with flat foamie stunt planes with low rates, they are awesome, they fly slow, quick response to inputs and pretty crash resistant as long as its an Epp foam, i recoment them as a first plane, if you are teaching yourself with a sim,

else an e-glider is the next best thing! since they float nicely, go 4 channel though and just dial the aileron throw down

the other tip i will give is practice flying controlled natural flight, make it look smooth as you can, quick jerky responses usually mean you are reacting to the plane, not flying it, of course that is not counting 3d acrobatics...but we are talking learnign, so don't even attempt those, until you are smooth
Old 10-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jirish617 View Post
hey everyone! so i've had real flight for awhile, and even though it has seemed to come to me much more naturally than anyone else i know who has attempted to use it, how legit is it? Most planes I can fly and land issue free for the most part, tail-draggers are the hardest. Heli's it seems for me, the more 3d/acrobatic they are, the easier it is for me(seems a$$backwards if you ask me). I can invert the 3d helis and hover them pretty well. Helis I can't always fly symmetrically in the sense of, if the nose might not be dead on in the direction I might be heading If am just trying to do regular flight, but for the most part I can recover the heli from most things, and land it safely.

Planes, i figured out how to hover them within 2 weeks of having the sim. Im good enough to not crash but not good enough to keep it in one spot, and I can't do a lot of the tricks real acrobatic rc flyers do, I mean basics I can rolls flips knifes edge etc.

I have yet to buy a real plane or heli, but for either or, a trainer plane seems far too boring, and for helis, non 3d helis seem boring as well. Think it would still be a bad idea for me to get something more acrobatic for my first time?
Have you looked in to a dwfoamies.com. Very forgiving