Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
returning to the runway to land?  *sim* >

returning to the runway to land? *sim*

returning to the runway to land? *sim*

Old 12-15-2011, 05:26 PM
Tech Addict

Questions?? returning to the runway to land? *sim*

got my Christmas early today ordered Real Flight Basic.

I have crashed alot and now can fly around in the air "mostly" I am having trouble getting lined back up on the runway to land on it. I have been able to touch down in the grass and dirt but still cannot hit the runway 'upright' for a landing.

I am just getting started so looking for some gentle advice on lining up to land, the turns seem to be my problem. I try gentle sweeping turn but end up way off and hard turns usually ends in a corkscrew crash.

I'll keep working at it but thought I would ask. BTW I am sooo very glad I did not just go pick up a plane, they are alot harder to fly than I thought

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:25 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

hope i can explain what i do correctly.

landing left to right
i pattern around right to left a ways off the run way parallel to the runway
after a bit farther down from the end of the runway i start a bank left turn and start to slow down the power while keeping a little bank for a slow turn. when i see my plane get near a vertical spot that matches the inside square point (closest edge to you and farthest down of the runway where it makes the point of the 90 degree angle) runway (thats what i hope i explain correctly) i finish the turn line up and bring it in.

when i was first taught i did a 90 bank then a 90 bank at the imaginary vertical point then came in but then as i got better i starting doing a full bank closer in to the edge of runway when i got use to gauging the point

subnote. the imaginary vertical point where you finish the bank for land approach is all determined on how far of the runway the pilot box is and then adjust the imaginary point accordingly or rudder a tad to line up or burn speed

remember to avoid stall speed during those last two banks, i wonder if your sim is using a tip stall that is affecting your hard turns

Last edited by apriliamille; 12-16-2011 at 01:32 AM. Reason: more content
Old 12-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Tech Addict

Exclamation ***only on a simulator***

ok, I have been experimenting a little. before I go farther I understand some (most) of what I am doing is a huge nono in RL I am on a simulator. I am trying to learn how to drive better coming at myself. that was by far the hardest part of driving a rc car. I am trying to hit myself, working on aim mostly, very tuff getting the plane level and stable. I recall the days with a car at very slow speed and making some major errors coming towards myself. I have tried the 2 90 banks but once I get the plane "lined" up I have some real issues so the above practice. I am hoping to get more comfortable with the 3d aspect, left and right were tough enough, now adding pitch and roll it gets interesting pretty fast.

suggestions are always welcome, be gentle, I have just begun this odyssey.

VSroller
Old 12-18-2011, 02:54 PM
Tech Addict

I also think it is going to be more difficult to gage the imaginary point on a sim, do not have peripheral vision to assist with the angles
Old 12-18-2011, 03:06 PM
Tech Addict

Questions?? return to center/neutral

ok, something else I wanted to ask. on cars it is common for the steering servo to return to center automatically. how does that work with aircraft, do they return to center or neutral as well? or is it a manual return?
Old 12-18-2011, 03:33 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by VSroller View Post
I also think it is going to be more difficult to gage the imaginary point on a sim, do not have peripheral vision to assist with the angles
I was just thinking this, because after reading the posts here, I tried the double 90 on realflight, thinking "hey that's a great idea". What I realized though was exactly what you said; when you're flying the plane, you can't even see the runway really. I have no problem landing in real life, but for me it's quite a bit harder on the sim, especially with a plane that isn't super responsive at slow speeds.
Old 12-18-2011, 03:36 PM
Tech Regular

ok, something else I wanted to ask. on cars it is common for the steering servo to return to center automatically. how does that work with aircraft, do they return to center or neutral as well? or is it a manual return?
Sure , the servos return to center, but that doesn't mean the plane is going to level itself out. If you fly something like an ember2 which is kinda like flying a remote controlled feather, it will pretty much level itself out, but the vast majority of planes won't.
Old 12-18-2011, 05:08 PM
Tech Addict

Lightbulb

ok, so if I let go of the sticks the servos return to neutral but the correction to level is manual. sounds like I was thinking it would be. not allot of comparisons to cars but it was a starting place I guess lol cars slow down and head the direction they are pointed.

does the throttle servo control on the radio return to idle or do they ratchet. the sim throttle has a ratchet on it. just asking, have not been to play with any areo radios yet that will be next, hit the local shop and ask bazillions of questions

I know there will be many more questions, thanks so much for checking in and answering as needed

plowed a few more aircraft into mother earth today, this is going to be a fun learning curve. I am very glad they are sims and not the real things ...
Old 12-18-2011, 05:44 PM
Tech Regular

does the throttle servo control on the radio return to idle or do they ratchet. the sim throttle has a ratchet on it. just asking, have not been to play with any areo radios yet that will be next, hit the local shop and ask bazillions of questions
The throttle stick doesn't spring back to center if that's what you mean. As far as the ratchet goes, usually a radio set up for a plane will have that little ratchet feel to it and a radio set up for a heli doesn't. Usually you can open up the radio and there's a little piece of brass or spring steel, that you can put into position over a knurled/notched half circle kinda thing, so you have the option to have that ratchet-y feel or not. Either way though they don't spring back to center as far as the throttle axis goes.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

flying a dihedral wing plane like a nexstar or a sig kadet will auto correct if you let go of the sticks. (of course a plane pointing at terra firma full speed aint gonna auto correct outside of looking pretty and axial level as it smashes, thats all on trim vs throttle position for lift purposes)

i have seen rc flyers file notches in the throttle ratchet for precision flight then mix for precise movements. deep notch 1 for precision rolls, deep notch 2 for 180 degree stall turns, etc etc

something i use in rc flight is body english (i have not tried it with a sim) twist your body which is holding your tx in your pc chair in the direction the plane is facing (if the plane is going left to right, spin your chair a little to the right) . maybe that will help with being able to hit your self for precision on the sim

Last edited by apriliamille; 12-24-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:57 PM
Tech Addict

Thumbs up thanks for the help :)

so far so good, thanks for the answers thus far, most help full !!

I am sure I will have more ... merry Christmas out there and Happy new year

going to fire up the sim and do some more learning tonight

Happy Holidays all !!

I am thinking I will do the Nexstar EP as my first. I was happy to see it on the sim, almost like real practice.