Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > RC Flight
Advice on 1st Heli >

Advice on 1st Heli

Advice on 1st Heli

Old 09-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Advice on 1st Heli

I just got into RC cars this year now I'm thinking I want to get a Heli and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for my first Heli purchase. I'm looking for something that can grow with me as I picked up the cars pretty fast and ended up having to sell off all my beginner stuff and move up pretty quickly and I don't want to go through that with the Heli. I don't want to break the bank either as I'm not sure if I'll end up liking it.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!
Old 09-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 5 (78%+)

Trust me, you will like it. I would try to pick up a trex500 kit somewhere pretty cheap. You can Get them on eBay (item 170691071134) for around 350. All you news is a heli radio and batteries . Build it yourself because you will crash. Have fun!

Eric
Old 09-06-2011, 12:42 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by teknic View Post
I just got into RC cars this year now I'm thinking I want to get a Heli and was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for my first Heli purchase. I'm looking for something that can grow with me as I picked up the cars pretty fast and ended up having to sell off all my beginner stuff and move up pretty quickly and I don't want to go through that with the Heli. I don't want to break the bank either as I'm not sure if I'll end up liking it.

Any suggestions are appreciated, thanks!
If you "don't want to break the bank" don't get into helis. Try one of the micro Blades and/or a simulator. The mcp-x is great, but the learning curve might be too steep for some people. I bought mine after I'd already learned to fly other (bigger, more expensive) helis, but I wished I'd have started with this one. I think it probably would have saved me 1000s of dollars. Tough as nails.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:03 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TedMosby View Post
If you "don't want to break the bank" don't get into helis. Try one of the micro Blades and/or a simulator. The mcp-x is great, but the learning curve might be too steep for some people. I bought mine after I'd already learned to fly other (bigger, more expensive) helis, but I wished I'd have started with this one. I think it probably would have saved me 1000s of dollars. Tough as nails.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Thanks, I was looking at the MCP-X the other day and thought it might be a good starting point.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:06 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

MCPX is most defiantly not a good starting point...id recommend mastering it on the Sim before u jump into a full pitch bird like that. I'd recommend starting out with the mcx2 or a msr. Honestly I'd say get the mcx2 and get ur orientation down first. Until you can fly the heck out of it then I'd step up to a msr. Starting out with a trex 500 would be ridiculous unless you have it MASTERED on the Sim, even then I wouldn't recommend it...get the mcx2 and fly it in ur house, master it then get msr, then when u master that get a mcpx, then if ur still liking it go for a big one, just my 2 cents, but many should agree.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...copter-w-24GHz

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...cro-Helicopter
Old 09-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Tech Rookie

I just started to fly this year and let me tell you. The best advice I could give you is buy the Pheonix V3 Simulator. This is pinpoint accurate how everything flyes and will show you the learning curve that is needed. Also you can try out just about every thing that is out there to buy. It will save you soooooooo much money. Also flying the simulator can be just as fun as the real thing. (kinda)
Old 09-09-2011, 08:59 AM
Tech Rookie

I have a solo pro 328 for my first heli, stabile and very nice to fly very easy
Old 09-09-2011, 11:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I say pick up a flight sim and start from their. can beat the reset button
Old 09-10-2011, 05:04 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Smile hey

hey i just went through the same thing with the helis i never flown before and everyone told me to get the mcx and i did loved it but a waste of money in my opion its too easy to fly i would say if you can fly one of the shiesty helis they sell in the mall for 20$ dont buy the mcx. so then i went to the msr and in my opion every time i crashed it broke either the tail rotor or the blades i also did not like this heli as it is way to fast for my small house u almost need a 2 car garage to fly it and still the tail rotor gave me so many problems it made me almost give up on helis. i will be honest i cant fly to save my life but enjoy picking one up once in a wile when my cars bore me i just got a cx2 and absolutely love it. its so much more fun to fly out doors hope some of this info helps
Old 09-12-2011, 10:22 AM
Tech Regular

I would suggest a sim first and get use to the controls and flying that will save you ALOT money. then maybe a SR120 or MSR. If you can do it on the sim you can do it on a real heli. I have the msr and only thing I have broke is the canopy holder but it still flys just fine I love my msr. I am in process of building me a B400 and I also plan on buying mcpx so I learn 3D on it before I even try on a more expensive and more dangerous heli

I don't think anyone new to heli should get a CP heli just because they have not yet learned how dangerous a CP heli is. Especially if you are new to RC all together.

MCPX is CP but it is also good for a learner.

Since you are new to heli here is a video of what can happen if you ain't careful
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHaeBrUvxEg

Last edited by epoweredrcgirl; 09-12-2011 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Definitely listen to the guys talking about a sim and something like a mSR.

The SIM is the ultimate money saver. Reset button vs having to buy parts and strip down your heli will keep you in the sport.

The micro size fixed pitch heli is great for learning the basics of orientation and basic forward flight. You can even flip the blades and learn to fly inverted with it. The best part is the thing is nearly bullet proof!

Once you get the hang of the thing - then get yourself something like the mCPx. Because it is a great little tool to have to try something new on before picking up your $500-900 heli!!! lol Improves your confidence in steps. Get it done on the sim, get it done on the micro - then get it done on your full size heli.
Old 09-18-2011, 03:14 AM
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default 1st Heli

I agree with XMSRACING; I am in Iraq currently and a friend of mine has 2 of the MCX2's; they're fun to fly and you really do learn how to orientate the heli. Some find it easier than others; but for the price (around $120) it's a great little starter that is cheap to repair. Buy yourself about 3 or 4 extra batteries and you'll have a lot of fun flying it. Even if you outgrow it; you'll have fun with it indoors; flying against friends etc. where you wont be able to do that with a larger heli.
Old 09-20-2011, 05:58 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by hdryden View Post
I agree with XMSRACING; I am in Iraq currently and a friend of mine has 2 of the MCX2's; they're fun to fly and you really do learn how to orientate the heli. Some find it easier than others; but for the price (around $120) it's a great little starter that is cheap to repair. Buy yourself about 3 or 4 extra batteries and you'll have a lot of fun flying it. Even if you outgrow it; you'll have fun with it indoors; flying against friends etc. where you wont be able to do that with a larger heli.
This is absolutely true. A couple of days ago I had a friend hovering my MCPx very well before 3 batteries were drained. He'd never flown any type of heli before that and it was very windy. Other people will just never get it.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Is it a far stretch to start with the MSR? I have flown a few toy air hogs and have driven RC Cars for over 18 years. If you take your time and are patient, is it an approach people have started with?
Old 10-09-2011, 09:44 PM
Tech Rookie

The last few people I have trained on the heli we did this process..

Blade MCX 2, to learn the controls and functions
Blade MSR, to learn flying techniques and advanced control

Then jump head first into a T-rex 450 or 500, increased stability, reliability, and long term enjoyment.. Hope that helps

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.